Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 01:11:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo and Prevost  (Read 4719 times)
gmpd4104

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 02:34:49 PM »

i would suspect that it will be some time until the Prevost Name goes away.

Volvo kept the mack name and production for a good period of time before dropping the bulldog logo..and now the name will be going away too, but only after they got the Volvo market share up
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »

It is sad to see all the prejudices of fellow bus nut posters but I guess that is probably a good cross section of the country.

Every time China or Mexico is mentioned the fusillades of prejudice start flying.

I wish the board monitors would just delete the whole mess.

Narrow mindedness is a sickness that has plagued us forever and, I suppose, will always.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »

NAFTA, That's what is helping both Mexico and Canada.  On the campain trail the President was going to get rid of NAFTA, now he said he is not. All the south American countries and China are shipping goods in though Mexico, using NAFTA.

John

I don't believe that the president ever said anything about getting rid of NAFTA.  He did talk about renegotiating some terms of NAFTA and that will probably happen down the road.  I think he might have some other priorities right now. 

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »

I am seeing a lot of adds in the truck trade magazines talking about how Volvo is adding a lot more service centers.

Gus, you said "Every time China or Mexico is mentioned the fusillades of prejudice start flying."

Maybe it is because most everything you purchase says it is made in one of those two countries...while at the same time most of the furniture jobs that used to be in our area, (Hickory and High Point, NC) has gone to those countries.  And our government gave the firms tax breaks to move the firms out!
Then our crime and drug problems here seem to be more and more done by folks of Mexican descent.
After a while as my Mom says, "You get your craw full of it!"  You asked...I had to answer.
Repectfully,
Jack

PS...I was looking at GoogleEarth the other day and went to Winnsboro, SC...I used to live a mile of so south of that Mack Trucks plant...low and behold it has been shut down for what looks like for a while.  I did not know that!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »

Sean, thanks for editing your comments. 
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »

Hi Sean,
On the question of whether this thread is off topic, I would say that it is more on topic than Cody's postings about Libby's ordeal. BUT, Cody's updates on Libby have been some of the most read, and participated in, threads on the board in a long time. That shows me that there is a lot of intrest in how Libby is doing. In NO way would I suggest that the thread be moved to the off topic area.
Opinions here are as varied as the number of people on the board and thankfully we, for the most part, have the freedom to post ours.
Thanks, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »

Ok guys I looked on the Volvo Group Gobal web site and there is no mention of Prevost any longer. On the web page it has 9 compaines listed and no Prevost.Their news letter states that Volvo will be sold in the US and Canada after not being sold in North America for 20 years.Something is going on with Volvo and Prevost and I can not figure it out.     good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »

Hi guy, does this help;

http://www.prevostcar.com/cgi-bin/pages.cgi?page=media&newsid=1232585531

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
cody

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

If the moderators feel that the libby update should be moved to off topic i have no problem with that, she is doing better and now hopefully will start the long road to recovery, any new developments can be handled in OT, I'm greatly humbled by the response shown for her , she has been my owner and trainer for over 37 years now and carries a certain level of importance in my life and I sincerely want to thanks everyone that sent a card, or a prayer her way, some sent flowers to her, sonny sent an air machine via jim shepard, I just hope that at some point I can repay the kindness shown to her.  I don't mean to hijack this thread so I'll end with a heartfelt thank you and if the moderators feel it's time t move her thread to OT, it's fine with us.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »

Cody,
    The All Topics BB is for threqds about buses and busnuts.  You and Libby certainly qualify as busnuts.  There are no political post, jokes or other off topic post on that thread.  You and Libby are certainly on the minds of most busnuts and the up dates are always looked forward to.  Jack
PS: We are working on a way to possibly visit ya'll this summer in our bus.  Nothing definite, but we have a few plans that will hopefully come together.

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:39:06 PM »

It is maybe possible that the reason more things are made in foreign countries is the greed and incompetence of American top management. All you have to do is read any newspaper to see evidence of that.

It is a stretch to blame the Chinese or Mexican people for the loss of the NC furniture industry. It is really easy to blame somebody else. We are fat and lazy.

There is no evidence that Mexicans commit any more crimes per capita than any other ethnic people. Could it be because there are more of them now? One thing I admire greatly about them is their devotion to family and church and their hard work ethic. If all the rest of us worked as hard as they do this country would be booming.

What we need to do is stop blaming defenseless foreigners and look in the mirror. Those people are just like you and me, the bad guys are their leaders.

Sometimes I get depressed at all the bigotry. It just seems it never stops.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »

One of the things that often makes these issues more charged and ugly then they need  be,  is the  melding of economic situations with the races/cultures of the participants.  If economic discussions weren't so often shot through with subtle (and not so subtle ) references to ethnicity perhaps a little more clarity would be available.  I'm guessing this thread will get tossed OT soon; glad to help. Smiley

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »

Thanks Jack I was trying to make sure for him the brand was not going away, it probably will happen later but he is safe now for the time being I hope    good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:47 PM »

ZubZub, were you headed south on I-95 last week near the GA, FL line?

I was not trying to flame in my post, I was giving reason that at least I and I feel others feel about jobs going to Mexico and China.
Sure it is out wonderful upper management that is doing it...with the excuse that it is for the shareholders.
I happen to feel this is wrong.
One of the worst is the automakers wanting federal money...and they have plants in other countries which cost american jobs.  (Of course the flip side is that they pay those american workers way more that is logical.  And I have no problem paying folks for good work...however sometimes it gets ridiculous!)
As to the NC furniture...our company used to transport over 300 loads of furniture to FL EVERY week.  It is half of that now.  The other half, China and Mexico.  
Respectfully
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »

Luvrbus, I have a couple of friends in the bus 'bidness', I'll call them tomorrow and see if your suspicions are correct.  You may be on to something there.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: