Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 12:53:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo and Prevost  (Read 4692 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »

Hi Sean,
On the question of whether this thread is off topic, I would say that it is more on topic ... In NO way would I suggest that the thread be moved to the off topic area.

Perhaps I should have edited that part out of my second-to-last post, as well.  I hereby retract the comment about moving the thread to OT.  The OP, and the couple of comments immediately following it, looked like a political rant to me more than a bus conversion question.  Since the intent behind that question has since been clarified, I'm fine with it.  (Perhaps, now, we can all stick to answering it.)  Perhaps also, shame on me for even asking for an explanation in the first place.

I have many more things I could say in response to some of the other comments in this thread, which I do believe to be quite off topic.  But, since I don't think such discussion is appropriate in this section of the board, I will keep them to myself.

I, and I am sure many others, come here to receive and to share information about bus conversions.  There are plenty of other places on the Internet where I could go if I wanted to discuss politics, NAFTA, race and ethnicity in the US, or myriad other topics.  To the extent that off-topic material creeps into the threads, we dilute the value of the real information within them -- it takes more time and effort for the reader to follow the material to get to the information they need.

I acknowledge that it is difficult to know where the dividing line lies at any given moment -- we live in a highly interconnected world.

And, BTW, I certainly believe that all of us here on this board constitute a "community' (even if how close-knit is sometimes debatable), and that announcements and discussion regarding the health and well-being of our community members is, indeed, "on topic."  FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Airbag

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »

It is sad to see all the prejudices of fellow bus nut posters but I guess that is probably a good cross section of the country.

Every time China or Mexico is mentioned the fusillades of prejudice start flying.

I wish the board monitors would just delete the whole mess.

Narrow mindedness is a sickness that has plagued us forever and, I suppose, will always.

Come on Gus nobody is claiming Chinese or Mexican people to be inferior we just want protectionism. In fact I have always stated the Chinese to be great manufactures and the Mexicans are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. But what has that got to do with my childrens future trying to find a job in the rust belt? It has nothing to do with prejudice just economics. Sorry to get off topic but I wanted to respond to Gus. FWIW
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 02:44:13 AM »

This IS completely off-topic, for which I apologise in advance. Also, I am not trying to pick a fight with Airbag or anyone else, but just wanted to comment on his 'we just want protectionism' quote; protectionism is probably the number one reason for the dire state that the American automotive industry (and a lot of other manufacturing) is in. There are other reasons, such as very low fuel taxes, the natural (and understandable) 'buy American' instinct of the consumer, and the excessive ability of the 'big-three' to lobby against legislation to improve vehicle safety, emissions, fuel efficiency etc. But protectionism is the big one.

Historically the domestic American market was sufficiently large that American manufacturers didn't really need to export their products to other countries, and successive Governments put high trade barriers up against imports as well; the net result was that American vehicles (as an example) did not have to compete with those from foreign manufacturers and so fell behind in comparison. 'Competition Improves the Breed' and all that.

So, while protectionism works in the short term to keep plants open, over the medium and long term it does precisely the opposite. If you want to keep your job, by all means shout 'protect'. If you want your children to have jobs, shout 'compete'.

Jeremy

(Incidentally, I have a degree in economics, and I also own a Cadillac. I mention this as I took the opportunity last week to have a good look at a new Escalade I saw parked in a car park. I was genuinely shocked at how appalling the build quality of the body was - the panel fit and alignment was all over the place).

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 06:33:11 AM »

Rather than moving or cutting up this entire thread, I just started a new one over in the Off-Topic.  Feel free to jump in !!   I  know we have hit some nerves and would like to see it blossom.  Bring it on!!!!   Smiley

zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:03 AM »

ZubZub, were you headed south on I-95 last week near the GA, FL line?

I wish it was me.  No I'm stuck behind a desk in Montreal.  The good news is it's going up to -6C tomorrow!

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »

Hey,we're back to wearing Hawaiian shirts and Bermuda shorts LOL this week ,60F degrees today Cool

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »

It's funny how we make comments on the quality of assembling American products in Mexico.  At Freightliner, we have two very up to date modern assembly plants in Mexico-one for our medium duty trucks and the other for heavy duty.  The advantage there is cheaper labor-and most importantly labor that shows up everyday to keep production up.  Also, the Mexicans working are trying much harder to get the trucks out, hence most of the trucks from Mexico are of higher quality assembly then here in the states.  In South Carolina, the attendence to the assembly line can be 15-25% absent (as mentioned, not a problem in Mexico).  Until our workforce again gets its' act together, and comes to work in a consistant rate, and has the pride to assemble in a quality manner, we in the USA will continue to ship our work out of the country-really ashame when you think about it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

A friend very heavy in the conversion industry (Executive type) was very surprised when I read Clifford's post about the truck dealership selling the Volvo 9700's.
His understanding was that they would be sold through the Prevost dealers as the Prevost website said.
He will snoop arond a little.
The saga continues.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: