Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ongoing saga of The Ferguson's and their 4106  (Read 5650 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »

Doug, the bus game is like shooting craps in Vegas you just never know.I bought a D6 dozier one time Cat checked it out for me gave it a clean bill of health through oil samples and inspections 3 weeks later 18 grand for a transmission could happen to you on any used bus     good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »

That is exactly why I asked because my angle on this is too close.  I need outside observers to give me the lay of the land.  Okay, okay, I am going to just lay back.  I'll pay the storage and reassess after we get moved and settled.  If something comes up between now and then (donor vehicle cheap), I will consider that as an option to replace the engine(and maybe other parts).

There are *other* fixes this bus needs on the inside and outside (due to a profound lack of maintenance), but overall, I think she is in pretty good shape.  I appreciate all of the no-bs advice, I need that periodically.

Very good advice Bob.  I will make some arrangements with the storage guy to put some decon in the bays and inside of her.

Hoorah Van.

Thanks for explaining the water vs. antifreeze John and Bob.  I didn't know that.

So, here is my plan of action.  The bus can sit where she is for now.  I will try to different angles of attack.  First, I am going to think about looking for a donor bus that could have its engine(and whatever else) pulled to breathe new life into my bus.  I have some leads on cheap buses, so I will explore those.  Second, I will try to locate and secure heads, gaskets, cooling system for the old girl.  Some of this was already located if memory serves me I just need to get it all in one place so I know I have it when the time comes to tackle the job.

There, I feel better already.

Doug

P.S.  I'm done vacillating.  I work much better when I have an end goal that is the one I actually wanted instead of one that is being forced on me.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
cody

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

Now your talking like the insane person I figured you'd be, your as crazy as the rest of us now, and there is no cure.  Now that you've admitted defeat and the bug has taken over you can move on and complete the will of the bus, it will direct you, it is your master now, it controls your mind and your wallet lol.  Now your like the rest of us and doesn't it feel good to know that your bus trash with no hope of moving up into the ranks of trailer trash, they even have trailer parks, we have to use truck stops, now that you have a clearer view of the underside of life I'd almost be willing to bet that all your needed parts are just waiting to find you, not because you called them but rather, because your bus called them.  BWAAAAHAAAHAAA
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »

Now your talking like the insane person I figured you'd be, your as crazy as the rest of us now, and there is no cure.  Now that you've admitted defeat and the bug has taken over you can move on and complete the will of the bus, it will direct you, it is your master now, it controls your mind and your wallet lol.  Now your like the rest of us and doesn't it feel good to know that your bus trash with no hope of moving up into the ranks of trailer trash, they even have trailer parks, we have to use truck stops, now that you have a clearer view of the underside of life I'd almost be willing to bet that all your needed parts are just waiting to find you, not because you called them but rather, because your bus called them.  BWAAAAHAAAHAAA

Cody, I'm worried about you man, and even more worried for myself.  lol.

Edmund Burke

BusCrazyinFL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 09:46:12 AM »

Hey BigDoug, I know you are in a tough spot. When I bought my Eagle I tried to do my homework, but I really didn't know too much about buses. I did have it inspected and they pointed out a few things that needed to be addressed. I had most of the mechanical stuff fixed at a bus shop here in Lakeland (near me) a great shop. A lot of other things I have been able to do myself, with the help of a few other bus nuts. The key here is not to give up. No matter how well we try to check these buses out before we buy them, we all take kind of a gamble. You did have the right idea though, in getting a bus. They are much safer than the sticks and staples out there. Especially with such a large family. We had a Class C before we knew better, and I can tell you, buses are the way to go. Just remember, we serve an awesome God and somehow, he will make a way for you in this. My wife and I will be praying for you. Don't lose hope.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »

They are much safer than the sticks and staples out there. Especially with such a large family.

Yep, exactly why I chose a bus and not a tin can.  And you are right that God will make a way if that is His will.  Thank you for the kind words.  Should be real interesting to see how this unfolds.

Doug

Edmund Burke

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »

I can't wait for the third installment!

"Yeah, I fixed it and it runs great, runs much cooler and the family and I are having a great time".

Keep the faith!

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »

Let me start off by saying that I do not come to this decision lightly, nor without much counsel and consideration after talking with many of you.  After much thought, prayer, sleepless nights and doubting myself and my decision to buy a bus, I have decided to throw in the towel. 

Hey!  No littering in here! Towel throwing will get you a citation.

Think again.  I don't know your situation, but work the numbers the same way anyhow.

I'm assuming that your coach is paid off.  If so, then the only thing you're paying is the cost of storage.

Okay, so it's going to cost you money to fix it.  Nothing says you have to do that RIGHT NOW.  Store it for a couple of months, build up your funds, THEN fix it, when the weather is nicer and you've had some time to get out of the depression you're dealing with.

Was buying a coach a good idea?  YES.  It was a good idea when you got it, and having a coach is still a good idea.  The real problem is timing, and keeping it in storage for a couple of months will buy you the time to regroup and prepare for the job of getting it fixed and ready for prime time.

When you pray, don't ask for advice -- Heavenly Father doesn't work that way.  Come to the best decision on your own, then ask Him to "grade your homework" and tell you if you're right.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »

Bus trash!!!! I love it! Cheesy Cheesy  Hang in there Doug. You own a bus just like the rest of us. On the positive side it is sitting in a warmer area than a lot of our busses are and at least you don't have to worry about it needing winterized!! With all the eyes and ears that this forum has I'm sure something will turn up. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »

Hey!  No littering in here! Towel throwing will get you a citation.

You are right of course and I have a new plan of action that I am going to throw out to the board and see if I can't get this situation back in The Ferg's court.

Doug

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »

I can't wait for the third installment!

"Yeah, I fixed it and it runs great, runs much cooler and the family and I are having a great time".

Keep the faith!

~Paul~

"Yeah, it's fixed!" will be my battle cry when this is all done.

Doug

Edmund Burke

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »

Everything is relative,  look on the bright side Grin

There are much worse problems to have than bus problems. Smiley

Having a bus mean you have bus problems, just like computers and marriages Wink Cheesy

so it is just how you deal with them.

you would have had a lot more trouble if you would have bought a stick and staple for that much you would most likely be in the same boat and not as fixable.  Buses are pretty much repairable.

if you fix it you will end up with an RV you can be happier with for still not much.

just think of what you'll learn in the process.

if you have to move get through that and get back to her.  If fixing your bus is the worst thing that ever happens to you then you'll have a great life.  You're fear is from the unknown but that overcome. 

Take your time.
Do you research.
Gather your stuff
make a plan.

You may have to visit a few times before you get here but you know more now.  Accept the cooling parts that were offered and study up in the books. etc.

Surely it will not be the biggest project you'll ever have but quite rewarding.

Good Luck and Keep us posted.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

Doug,
Just look at it like this, we went from being totally debt free to owing close to one million $ @ $20,000 a month! And I still can't for life of me figure out why or what we have done!
But I can tell you you can ask Dallas, Cody, or anyone else who knows us this deal has been on the table for a very long time (almost 2 yrs!)! But up until we lost what little bit of sanity we still had, we just could not justify going that far out on a limb in debt period end of story!
Now I really can't say why but we finally said what the heck and took a chance!
It has been driving me crazy every since, but to be honest I am glad we did it. Even though we need our heads examined!  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:18 AM »

BK, I'm not going to quote myself, mainly cause I never listen to what I say and I try to only quote reliable sources anyway. BWAHHHAAAAAAHHHAAAA
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:21 AM »

Doug,
Just look at it like this, we went from being totally debt free to owing close to one million $ @ $20,000 a month! And I still can't for life of me figure out why or what we have done!
But I can tell you you can ask Dallas, Cody, or anyone else who knows us this deal has been on the table for a very long time (almost 2 yrs!)! But up until we lost what little bit of sanity we still had, we just could not justify going that far out on a limb in debt period end of story!
Now I really can't say why but we finally said what the heck and took a chance!
It has been driving me crazy every since, but to be honest I am glad we did it. Even though we need our heads examined!  Grin  BK  Grin

You do have some brass ones, I'll give you that, especially in this economy.  A wise man once said, "do what you love and you will never work a day in your life".  Sure wish I could figure out what I love.   Grin

Edmund Burke

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: