Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 01:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ongoing saga of The Ferguson's and their 4106  (Read 5831 times)
cody

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 07:13:25 AM »

BK and his family have been in the charter business for many years and over the years have built up a clientel that they can count on, this was done by giving solid service with an honest approach, while keeping an eye on the trends.  Anytime it takes 2 years to work out the deal on expansion, you can count on how much research and care was put into the planning, combine that with a solid existing business plan and you've got a more than even chance of not only succeeding but thriving, I agree tho any expansion of that size is scary in this economic climate and I'm sure it was not taken lightly.  BK, this promotion was free, the next one will cost you a cup of coffee, all these big words don't come cheap lol.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »

BK and his family have been in the charter business for many years and over the years have built up a clientel that they can count on, this was done by giving solid service with an honest approach, while keeping an eye on the trends.  Anytime it takes 2 years to work out the deal on expansion, you can count on how much research and care was put into the planning, combine that with a solid existing business plan and you've got a more than even chance of not only succeeding but thriving, I agree tho any expansion of that size is scary in this economic climate and I'm sure it was not taken lightly.  BK, this promotion was free, the next one will cost you a cup of coffee, all these big words don't come cheap lol.

Cody,

No problem.  I know they did their homework, its still scary though.  A lot of companies did their homework as well over the last two years and they are now going under.  I have no doubt that BK and his crew are sharp as tacks and if anyone can pull this off, they can.  All I was inferring was that bad stuff comes down the pipe at a million miles an hour these days and most folks/businesses don't have time to stand to the side before being rushed out to sea with the tide, and many never see the writing on the wall.  My personal opinion is that there move was one that takes cojones big enough you need buckets to carry them. 

I pray they weather what is to come, as well as all of us.

Doug

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:55 PM »

clifford,

I will take the 8V71 and pull the heads for Doug, where is the engine now.

Doug; If you can wait on me I will be going to Cliffords bash in may, I am leaving here the last of April. I can go a couple day's early. May be Dallas can meet me and we will change the heads for you. I will not charge you any labor, The only charge will be the gaskets and oil and you will have to get the fan parts from Luke have them sent to Dallas. Dale said he will drive the bus back to Bakersfield for you and you can pick it up here.

What say you

Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

Don, it is 6 blocks from the house I'll go Tue and check it out for you he been trying to get me to take the engine and the 740 for over a year but I had no need for it. FWIW He installed a ISM in his Eagle that the donor was a trash truck and it blew on the first trip he never made to Barstow thought may enjoy that story.        good luck and I will call you tomorrow

Life is short drink the good wine first
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »

Don, it is 6 blocks from the house I'll go Tue and check it out for you he been trying to get me to take the engine and the 740 for over a year but I had no need for it. FWIW He installed a ISM in his Eagle that the donor was a trash truck and it blew on the first trip he never made to Barstow thought may enjoy that story.        good luck and I will call you tomorrow

luvrbus, what was the reason for the failure of the ISM?  Mine has about 90k miles on an in frame overhaul.  -- inquiring minds and all that!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

Brian,it threw a rod out the block he bought another but not from a trash truck his only showed 288,000 miles on the odometer.Trash trucks are rode hard and put up wet it probably had another 3000 or 4000 engine hrs on it running the hydraulics and I tried to tell him that , bus nuts don't always listen. I don't and it always cost me      good luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:09:11 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

Thanks for the clarification!  Yep, sometimes we just have to learn things for ourselves!
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »

clifford,

I will take the 8V71 and pull the heads for Doug, where is the engine now.

Doug; If you can wait on me I will be going to Cliffords bash in may, I am leaving here the last of April. I can go a couple day's early. May be Dallas can meet me and we will change the heads for you. I will not charge you any labor, The only charge will be the gaskets and oil and you will have to get the fan parts from Luke have them sent to Dallas. Dale said he will drive the bus back to Bakersfield for you and you can pick it up here.

What say you

Don

Don,

You are the man!  How can I say no to that offer.  I am working with Van (or I should say Van is doing the work and I am waiting to hear) to see if we can find a place in El Paso where we can store the bus where it could be worked on.  Van has some buddies that are going to throw their net out and see if they can come up with a resting spot where the bus could be worked on.  Once we know something, I will chime in and let you know what we figure out.  The offer to drive the bus back to Bakersfield is awesome as well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Doug

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »

Doug ,just got off the horn ,the feelers are going out right now as I am typing,also just talked with clifford and he had mentioned what about the auto craft shop at Ft Bliss as a last resort for having a place to do the work?.He will no doubt also chime in ,as I'm still not positive as to how that would work,I know that your daughter is in the military and all ,might want to inquire about it with her.We know the craft shop is loaded with all the tools you might need (cept for the DD special tools )
Dallas and Don will have the specialty tools,no doubt.
    just another thought to consider if all else fails.

Van
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:46:38 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »

Brian, the company I work for has about 75 ISM's, a lot of them are approaching a million miles and still running strong.
We transport furniture from NC to FL 2 to 3 times a week on single axle Internationals, Freightliners and Macks.
Our gross weight ranges from 35,000 to 55,000 pounds.
I say all that to say this...I wouldn't worry too much about your ISM.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

Jack, on the Southern Plains Cummins web site I was looking at they say that engine will run between 300,000 and 400,000 miles before a overhaul depending on the weight and HP rating.I am amazed that they can get that kind of service.  Good luck

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »

Doug, It looks like your plan is moving forward pretty fast....See what happens when you make a plan of attack and press on.......The guys who have offered to help are the best ones to tackle the job! Hot Dang, what a great bunch of True Bus Nut Friends!

Now aren't you glad you didn't give up!

Dreams do come true! With a little prayer of course!

I Love It!

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 09:03:34 PM »

Clifford, a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that once halfway through SC we see no more hills.
I was thinking someone said the HP was right at 500, however that seems high, maybe I should find out.
Jack
PS...we also idle a lot, in the summers they don't get cut off until they get back home.  That would seem to harm them, however they are still going strong.

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:20 AM »

Brian, the company I work for has about 75 ISM's, a lot of them are approaching a million miles and still running strong.
We transport furniture from NC to FL 2 to 3 times a week on single axle Internationals, Freightliners and Macks.
Our gross weight ranges from 35,000 to 55,000 pounds.
I say all that to say this...I wouldn't worry too much about your ISM.
Jack

Thanks Jack.  Nice to hear of that many miles on the engine.  When I did my repower research I did not find many stories of million mile ISMs, but I did find lots of 700k+ stories.  I figure my engine will last until I can't afford to drive it any more due to the price of diesel.  I'm hoping that is a couple of decades still!
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 06:46:06 AM »

Brian, we go to FL 2 to 3 times a week, each trip is 1,200 to 1,500 miles round trip, we put on an average of 150,000 miles a year on each truck.
I don't think you will wear yours out!
We have a SUPER shop forman, he did a lot of research on these before we bought them.  He is very happy with them.
And to bring it back on topic, he LOVES to hear the 8-V71 run...he says he has put in his time and don't work on them any more!LOL
JAck

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: