Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 08:10:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Woes  (Read 5525 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »

As already posted, leaving a trickle charger on all the time will eventually ruin most batteries. It usually boils out all the water and that is the end. I've been there.  Automatic chargers eliminate this problem.

Since most batteries are made by just a few companies the brand or price has little to do with anything. Because you may get good service from a brand one time doesn't mean it will happen again, there are too many variables involved with batteries.

The best reason for buying WM batteries other than price is there are so many stores all over the country which makes adjustments easy. Getting a bad battery replaced by WM is as easy as it gets.

No, I have no interest in WM, I don't even like them.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »

Bill you may have missed this recent thread:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=10818.0

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

Let me restate something, I leave a charger on it all the time when not traveling, however, it is an automatic charger.  If I understand the term automatic, once charged, the charger puts zero amps to the battery.  I would think this would not over charge the battery.

Agree or disagree?

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »

Let me restate something, I leave a charger on it all the time when not traveling, however, it is an automatic charger.  If I understand the term automatic, once charged, the charger puts zero amps to the battery.  I would think this would not over charge the battery.

Agree or disagree?

Depends on the charger, and how smart it is.  Some "automatic" chargers merely reduce the charge voltage to a trickle rate when the bulk phase is complete; true smart chargers periodically disconnect the charge circuit from the battery entirely to measure the state-of-charge before determining if any float is required.

With your symptoms, it may be the charger, or it may be a different issue, such as differential charge/discharge rates between the multiple batteries in the system.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

Hello:
   I have had worse luck with batteries in florida because of the heat and Huh   . The "southern"   batteries are the same group numbers but here in the south they are different than their northern cousins..  Same number is more of everything up north because of temperatures...
       True or not  Huh

Regards   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
gus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »

Bill,

I probably should have said smart charger as Sean says. I had thought any automatic charger shuts off when the battery is fully charged and then resumes again when necessary, but after some more thought I realize that isn't so.

I have a couple of older large ones that shut off at full charge but don't resume charging. I really don't use them much anymore except for quick charges or boosts.

I use the largest Battery Tender which seems to do a great job no matter what size batt - from 8D to motorcycle size. It is still a pretty small charger compared to older ones. It takes a long time on the 8Ds but gets the job done.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »

My local dealer sells 1 year 8Ds for $100. Their 3 year 8D is a combination deep cycle and start battery that is $160. Lots of difference in specs on each battery available. Budget Battery, Fife Wa. (253) 922-3737 Kerry.

Its hard to think about using anything else at these prices since the 8D really gets the job done.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 09:03:33 PM »

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4192.15

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:37 PM »

Everything gets built to a price point, determined by the vendor.

The manufacturers care not, the vendor's label is on it, and they got their cash.

And I wouldn't put it past a national chain to spec weaker/cheaper for their southern stores. How would the end user know? With the big profit margin involved, for the few that venture north and turn in a weak one, or turn in a weak one period, many won't exercise the warranty when they could, it's more than paid for.

Accountants are the sneaky ones, they are quieter than lawyers....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »

Bill, did you read that the 8D designation is the physical size of the battery? It is not the power or amp rating. Go for as many amps as you can get.

The last group 31's I bought cost about $80. After some dealings with WalMart and the local auto parts store, I will pay a little more and buy my next batteries from NAPA.     Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »

Hello:
   I have had worse luck with batteries in florida because of the heat and Huh   . The "southern"   batteries are the same group numbers but here in the south they are different than their northern cousins..  Same number is more of everything up north because of temperatures...
       True or not  Huh
        Regards   mike
TRUE, at least at WalMart.  I purchased 2 group 31 batteries at a WalMart in NC. 3 weeks later one of them failed in South GA. I took it to a WalMart in Waycross. I was told they would replace it at no charge, HOWEVER, it would not be the same battery. Both batteries were the same model number except for the letter at the end of the number. 1 ended in N (north) and trhe other ended in S (south). The "South " battery was about 100 lest cranking amps. Same price though.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »

NEW FLASH    Sad

Wally World (in my area) is going through a "MOD".  When I ask the girl in the Car Dept. what that meant, she told me that they would no longer carry the Group 31 900+ CA batteries.  They did have 800CA batteries in stock.   Granted, they may only be in Florida, but I don't know.

My new question.  What is the cranking amps you are using with the group 31 starting batteries?

Bill
Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »

Bill, you need 950cca above 32degrees and 1250 cca below 32 degrees according to the DD bible and you know that is a 30 second rating. I stay with 8d because of the reserve capacity

good luck
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:45:56 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »

FWIW ,got our 3 Group 31's at Auto Zone ,2 year free replace ment @ under 100.00 ea(Duralast 950cca-195 reserve)no problems thus far,have had to do a lot of cranking on them with the over heating problem we just had(again)LOL

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »

MJT,

Two bad things about 8Ds to me are their heavy weight and short warranties.

Group31s come with 48-60 mo warranties and are easy to pick up. In addition, they come with FREE replacement warranties for 12-36 mo.

It is no contest as far as I am concerned and I will never again buy an 8D even for my big truck.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: