Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:45:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ferg's Plan of Attack to fix their 4106  (Read 6294 times)
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »

Okay, after much feeling sorry for myself, vacillation that a jellyfish would be proud of and some pretty sleepless nights (at times), the light finally came on and I know what I need to do.   The below outlined plan might take some time to pull off, and that is perfectly okay with me, but I have to get some kind of ball rolling to keep forward motion on this.  So, first things first.

I need to fix the bus!

Given the current circumstances (the bus is stuck in El Paso and I am in Southern Oregon), that is going to be a major challenge BUT it can be done, and this is my plan.

1.)  I have asked Dallas to compile a list of what parts he THINKS I will need to fix the bus RIGHT (hard to do with accuracy since he hasn't seen the bus, but he's pretty smart and I am sure he can come close with his educated guess).   I have also asked him to give me a dollar figure as to what it will cost me to get him and his traveling tool shed to come to El Paso and fix the bus (with my help of course) beyond the food and cold ones (which I wouldn't expect any self respecting bus nut to fore go unless they wanted to).

2.)  I need to find someplace close to El Paso (since I can't drive her more than a few miles without it overheating) that I can take the bus to and have power so I can stay in the bus.  That is where this network comes in.  Does anyone know anyone in El Paso or the surrounding areas close to El Paso (not Mexico, sorry, I need to stay alive through this exercise or my wife will kill me) that would allow two buses to park and work and even provide an extension cord for power?  I think even Las Cruces would be a stretch so it pretty much has to be El Paso or not too far from El Paso.  I know this will be a challenge, but it is essential to fixing the bus and without it, I think this project will never get lift off.

3.)  Once Dallas has "the list", could all of you that volunteered your parts and whatever else you offered (shipping if the offer still stands, etc.) please contact me and let me know what you have (from the list) and how much you want for it?  That way, once I have all of the parts (in hand or at least promised) I will have the best idea of whether I can pull this off.  Please keep in mind I do not know what the heck I am doing and I definitely don't know a torus drive from a pressure regulator (okay, maybe I do know that but you get the idea), so be mindful of that when you start talking about torque settings and hose routing.

4.)  If you are the praying type, continue to do that for us and this project.  We will most definitely need it.

5.)  Stay tuned for what is sure to be a heck of a lot more entertainment!

Sound good?  I think so, and for the first time during this whole adventure, I have peace.

God Bless,

Doug

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »

That's the spirit.  Just remember my previous offer to stop in El Paso sometime around mid-March still applies.  We'll be back in that general area sometime ...... probably around the end of April.  Our plans are firmly cast in Jello so its hard to be more precise than that.  I'm not that good of a mechanic but I've got a really good toolbox and a comfortable lawnchair so I can supervise a good mechanic.   Grin  Roll Eyes  Seriously, I've got a pretty decent set of tools and a pair of coveralls so, if there's something we can do on the way by, don't be afraid to ask.  The worst that can happen is I'll say "no". 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »

Having some sort of a plan is a good place to start ! Ive got no parts or expertise to share, but praying we can do ! We'll stay tuned !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:59:33 AM »

pretty sure if you stay on craigslist  you will find the fan hub stuff you need.  you'll probably have to buy the whole engine...but that may turn out to be helpful for other little bits...My understanding of the fan hub is that it is controlled with oil pressure and that the oil pressure is modulated by coolant temperature.
  I have never seen the end of the engine on your bus is the main hub still there, just sans fan?

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:52 AM »

pretty sure if you stay on craigslist  you will find the fan hub stuff you need.  you'll probably have to buy the whole engine...but that may turn out to be helpful for other little bits...My understanding of the fan hub is that it is controlled with oil pressure and that the oil pressure is modulated by coolant temperature.
  I have never seen the end of the engine on your bus is the main hub still there, just sans fan?

Zub,

The Torus is still there, but as far as I could tell when the engine was hot, it never engaged and tried to turn.  My observations were not exactly scientific, but it *appeared* the torus drive was not turning when it should have been.  So are you saying that even if I get the fan shroud, fan and new torus drive on it may still not work due to some other component that is failed?

Doug

Edmund Burke

busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much Doug, Dallas will have a very good list.

Have Fun!!
Grant
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much Doug, Dallas will have a very good list.

Good point.  Thanks Grant.

Edmund Burke

busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

and by the way, I think that's one hec of a plan. Given some time things have a way.

Have Fun!!
Grant
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:06 AM »

I'm sure Dallas will work all the torus stuff out...I was just wondering exactly what you have/need.  The thing that controls the torus is a moving part (like a rad thermostat) so there is a chance it jammed in a closed position.  The good news is you can bypass the thermo aspect of this with a little cleverness and run the torus full on.   I'll be talking to my bus/scrap guy in a the next week or so and I know he has a 4905? in the yard that he is scrapping out so just wanted to know what you need.

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

Hey Doug ,we'll be keepin an eye peeled too for any parts or possibly a donor engine for the ol' gal,you'll be up and screaming your new battle cry before ya know it!

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »

Doug, Now that's a true Bus Nuts Attitude!.....Git 'er done!

I wish I could do more than pray, but that's about it from this end.

As a born and raised in Oregon guy, I'm a pullin for ya!

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »

Doug look at the other thread

Don
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »

Doug, Now that's a true Bus Nuts Attitude!.....Git 'er done!

I wish I could do more than pray, but that's about it from this end.

As a born and raised in Oregon guy, I'm a pullin for ya!

~Paul~

You kidding man.  Prayer is THE tool we need to make this all come together.  Yes, we need knowledge and manpower and money, but all of that comes by God's hand.  Keep praying for us Brother!  It is working.

Doug

Edmund Burke

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:01:17 AM »

For the fan,  Isn't there something about making a coupling instead of the torus for that fan.  I don't recall the details but i remember it being pretty slick,   it is worth a search  Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
06 Bill

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »

Hi All   My 4106 8V71 has a solid fan drive, no torus. I have had it apart to reseal, through shaft plugs on where torus did.  06 Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: