Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 04:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ferg's Plan of Attack to fix their 4106  (Read 6208 times)
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »

Doug, Now that's a true Bus Nuts Attitude!.....Git 'er done!

I wish I could do more than pray, but that's about it from this end.

As a born and raised in Oregon guy, I'm a pullin for ya!

~Paul~

Thanks Paul.  We need all the good thoughts we can get for this one.  Gonna be a multi-pronged assault with a lot of moving parts but it will get done.

Doug

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »

Man, I sure wish this was going on <500 miles from my home, rather than 2000+.  I would love to play mechanic assistant to a bunch of guys that really know old GMCs. Talk about a learning experience. I'd even supply the cold ones!

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »

Man, I sure wish this was going on <500 miles from my home, rather than 2000+.  I would love to play mechanic assistant to a bunch of guys that really know old GMCs. Talk about a learning experience. I'd even supply the cold ones!

Im with you on that ! We could turn it into a rally, sort of like the old barn raising thing where everyone got together to get a big job done ! And Id be willing to drink the cold ones you brought ! That much I know Im capable of !

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:56:25 AM »

Im with you on that ! We could turn it into a rally, sort of like the old barn raising thing where everyone got together to get a big job done ! And Id be willing to drink the cold ones you brought ! That much I know Im capable of !

Now that sounds like fun!

Edmund Burke

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 08:11:16 AM »

The key here is getting all the pieces and parts in one location,thus making it easy for those that are gonna twirl the wrench's to only have to make one trip instead of multiple ones.Maybe those folks that have the parts can co-ordinate with with fellow bus nuts that are possibly headed that way or would like to head out this way bring the parts with them ,that would be fantastic.we are currently looking for a location close to the El Paso area to perform the delicate and necessary repairs to get these great folks on there way .

Being a veteran myself I understand all to well the need for support for these folks.thanks to all helping out and God Bless.

Van&Cheryl

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 09:18:56 AM »

My offer of transport from central Florida to El Paso stands but the clock is ticking.  We plan to leave Winter Haven a week from this Thursday.  We'll pass through El Paso sometime in mid-March.  Depending on how this wrenching rally comes together, we might make a detour on our trip north just in order to participate. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »

My offer of transport from central Florida to El Paso stands but the clock is ticking.  We plan to leave Winter Haven a week from this Thursday.  We'll pass through El Paso sometime in mid-March.  Depending on how this wrenching rally comes together, we might make a detour on our trip north just in order to participate. 

Bob,

If nothing is lined up by then (as far as parts) I may ask you to stop by and check on the bus (and maybe put some rat killer in spots).  No idea where we may be pulling in parts from, so I don't about the timing of your visit and carrying parts.  Does this sound okay with you?

Doug

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »

The key here is getting all the pieces and parts in one location,thus making it easy for those that are gonna twirl the wrench's to only have to make one trip instead of multiple ones.Maybe those folks that have the parts can co-ordinate with with fellow bus nuts that are possibly headed that way or would like to head out this way bring the parts with them ,that would be fantastic.we are currently looking for a location close to the El Paso area to perform the delicate and necessary repairs to get these great folks on there way .

Being a veteran myself I understand all to well the need for support for these folks.thanks to all helping out and God Bless.

Van&Cheryl

Thank you Van.  You are a good man and a good friend.

Edmund Burke

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »

I may ask you to stop by and check on the bus (and maybe put some rat killer in spots).  No idea where we may be pulling in parts from, so I don't about the timing of your visit and carrying parts.  Does this sound okay with you?

Just how do you propose to stop me from doing this anyway?  No prob.   Grin

Maybe Mel & I will get drunk in Mexico and buy you a whole 'nuther bus.  On second thought, there's probably no "maybe" about the first part so how much do you want to spend?

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »

Okay I am going to play devils advocate.   The generosity of the people on this board is as always, amazing.  BUT,  before you throw time/money/parts/personnel at this bus it still needs something else.  It needs a thorough inspection. 

It would be a shame to have very talented people sacrifice their time and money to repair the engine and find out there is another show stopping problem with the bus. I am aware of the financial aspects of dealing with this problem.  If I toasted an engine, my bus would make a great planter, right where it sat. 

If possible , I think you might want to consider getting Dallas ( or someone else) there to look at the bus with a hard eye.  Our buses become more than inanimate objects. They become the physical manifestation of our hopes and dreams.  Could your dream survive the blow if you repaired the engine and then found out another major item had to be serviced? 

Your dream is still possible.  Help is readily available, just make the best use of it.

Slipping back into the shadows..........

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »

Okay I am going to play devils advocate.   The generosity of the people on this board is as always, amazing.  BUT,  before you throw time/money/parts/personnel at this bus it still needs something else.  It needs a thorough inspection. 

It would be a shame to have very talented people sacrifice their time and money to repair the engine and find out there is another show stopping problem with the bus. I am aware of the financial aspects of dealing with this problem.  If I toasted an engine, my bus would make a great planter, right where it sat. 

If possible , I think you might want to consider getting Dallas ( or someone else) there to look at the bus with a hard eye.  Our buses become more than inanimate objects. They become the physical manifestation of our hopes and dreams.  Could your dream survive the blow if you repaired the engine and then found out another major item had to be serviced? 

Your dream is still possible.  Help is readily available, just make the best use of it.

Slipping back into the shadows..........

Frank

Frank,

You make a great point but I don't know how to get this done.  Dallas is 700 miles from the bus so the logistics of getting him there to look at the bus and then back and another round trip for the repairs seems unlikely, but I don't want to speak for him.  Heck, come to think of it, we don't have the plan in place yet to get Dallas there for the repairs at all.  That all has to be worked out.  I will concede your point though, I just don't know what to say to it that would sound intelligent.

Doug

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »

I may ask you to stop by and check on the bus (and maybe put some rat killer in spots).  No idea where we may be pulling in parts from, so I don't about the timing of your visit and carrying parts.  Does this sound okay with you?

Maybe Mel & I will get drunk in Mexico and buy you a whole 'nuther bus. 

Was kind of hoping you would say that.....Have always wanted a new bus!  Thanks!  You are a lot more generous than I was told or led to believe.  I am partial to earth tones for the interior but since you and Mel are buying, any 'ol color scheme will work.

Edmund Burke

viento1

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »

Well, i am not a prayin man and I only Have MCI parts but I will certainly pitch in for fuel - now that my paypal is sorted out.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »

Update -

Cooling System - Emailed Ted Campbell (Coach Maintenance Co.) and he has the shroud and fan for the 4106 for $200, so that part of the problem is solved.  He is on I5 about 40 miles north of Sacramento, and if all goes well, I will try to pick those parts up from him directly rather than ship them.  So if we can get a working Torus assembly, we may have the major components of the cooling system handled.  Chris (GMBusGuy) has the Torus assembly that he has graciously donated (just need to get it in my hands or in the hands of someone that will be hands on for fixing the bus, namely Dallas or Don)

Heads - Don Fairchild is getting a set of heads from Clifford (luvrbus) that he will bring to El Paso when he comes (feel free to interject if I am mistaken here Don).  It is worth noting that we DO NOT know whether these are needed, and like Bus Warrior and Slow Rider pointed out to me, there could be many other things wrong with the bus but we just don't know without an expert getting eyes on.  Since we don't have that, I think it wise (and obviously Don does as well) to assume for the worst.  With any luck, I might have just blown the head gasket(s) and not a head.

Head Gaskets - Dallas Farnworth has the head gasket(s)(not sure if you have both or only one still).  Do you still need a set of head gaskets Dallas?  If so, let me know what they cost.  I am trying to gather how much this will cost and I need to know how much one of those kits will cost.

Blower seal kit Dallas Farnworth has the blower seal kit (is that what it is called?)

Here is what I *think* I still need for the cooling system:

1.)  New main radiator hoses (the ones on there now are bad, frayed and the kind that have steel coils in them).  I picked up (by osmosis) that those are not the kind that should be on this bus.

There could be many other things I don't know about that go along with the heads, gaskets, blower, etc. but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what the heck I am talking about, so any of you that feels like it can chime in anytime.  I am just trying to keep this all together and organized in print so I can refer to it.  Gotta have a plan and stick to it.

Doug

Edmund Burke

Dallas

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

I have one head gasket set... need another.
I have a blower drive seal kit.
I may or may not have a set of bearings, it depends on what is in there now.
I have miscellaneous clamps, connectors, wire, fittings, goo, glue and grease.
I probably have a bunch of other parts that will be needed too.

What we will need is:
Oil pan gasket most likely... If we have to drain the oil, we might as well check the bearings.
Oil filter.... probably a canister type, Napa # 1133? I think. I may have one.
A few feet of green stripe radiator hose of various sizes, hopefully we can get the hoses routed back where they belong.
Coolant. Lot's and lots and lots.
Oil... Lot's of lots of Lot's.
power steering fluid, (ATF? 10w-40?)
Fuel to and from my place to El Paso... (I'll be bringing my bus, so I can bring all my tools and have a place to sleep and eat).
A few days of good weather!

Now, if anyone that is going to meet us there has got a portable cherry picker, it would certainly help.... that rear head is a bugger to remove by hand!

Any ideas?

Dallas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: