Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 07:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ferg's Plan of Attack to fix their 4106  (Read 5917 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »

I'm sure someone closer has a cherry picker. But if not mine is available if needed! I have no clue how we can get it out there and back!
Other than that I will be offering any moral support  I can! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »

I have one head gasket set... need another.
I have a blower drive seal kit.
I may or may not have a set of bearings, it depends on what is in there now.
I have miscellaneous clamps, connectors, wire, fittings, goo, glue and grease.
I probably have a bunch of other parts that will be needed too.

What we will need is:
Oil pan gasket most likely... If we have to drain the oil, we might as well check the bearings.
Oil filter.... probably a canister type, Napa # 1133? I think. I may have one.
A few feet of green stripe radiator hose of various sizes, hopefully we can get the hoses routed back where they belong.
Coolant. Lot's and lots and lots.
Oil... Lot's of lots of Lot's.
power steering fluid, (ATF? 10w-40?)
Fuel to and from my place to El Paso... (I'll be bringing my bus, so I can bring all my tools and have a place to sleep and eat).
A few days of good weather!

Now, if anyone that is going to meet us there has got a portable cherry picker, it would certainly help.... that rear head is a bugger to remove by hand!

Any ideas?

Dallas

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.  Thank you Dallas.  I used GasBuddy.com and put in your location and a round trip from Franklin,TX to El Paso, TX came up as about $370.00 (I put 8 MPG for both city and highway to be safe).  Does that sound right to you?

To help me try to wrap my mind around how much all of the oil, miscellaneous parts and such will cost, can you give me an idea what Delo 100 costs and how much will be needed.  Like I told you when I was in El Paso, I couldn't find any place that even knew what Delo 100 was, so this may prove interesting to find.  Also, best guess as to how much the head gaskets will run as well as anything else that I will need to purchase?  I am trying to get an idea of exactly what I know I will need to come up with ($ wise) prior to the end of April.

My off the cuff amount I threw out to myself when I looked at the fan shroud/fan cost from Ted, shipping for the Torus that Chris has, fuel for you, fuel for me, cost for me to get to El Paso (fuel, motel, food), miscellaneous oil, rad fluid (or maybe just water is all we will refill with) and miscellaneous parts was $1000.00.  That seems pretty cheap (if I actually had $1000.00), and it is.  I am pretty resourceful and I truly believe that this is meant to be, so the money will come ( I have seriously cute kids that could command a high price on the open market....sure, I will miss them terribly, but we can make more.  lol.   Cheesy).  I just need to have a figure in my head to work towards.

On another note, my tentative plan is to drive my daughters car back to El Paso (passing through Cali and picking up the fan/shroud from Ted in Williams, Ca) and help with all of the repairs.  Once the repairs are complete, I will either pull the car back to El Paso, or better yet, Van has offered to go with me to El Paso (so I would pick him up in Vegas and we would drive to El Paso together) so he could drive the car back to Vegas.  My daughter is stationed at Nellis AFB and she would love to get her car back to her for free (free?  Hmm, not exactly but to her it would be FREE!), so this kills a few birds with one stone.

In a perfect world, this will all come together and I will get to bring the bus back to Oregon, passing through Bakersfield and letting Don get another look at the bus, then on to Fresno and seeing RJ and looking at those bunks (and possible even taking them off his hands) and finally passing back through Williams, Ca and maybe getting to see Ted and having him look the old girl over.

Lets pray for perfection!

Thoughts or ideas welcome.

Doug

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Hoping for the open road someday in our PD4106-1035!

Check out our family blog:  www.TheFergyFarm.com
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 06:36:16 AM »

WHen I went to pick up my bus i tried not to pay attention to the all little expenses as they were adding up to fast (denial is part of the addiction).  As you already know you can't have too much money....but you can't have too many fire extinguishers either, or tools.  Must haves for me are IR gun, big sockets and impact driver, small generator and compressor to run air tools when the bus ain't running (my generator also charged the bats all the way home as the bus's charging system was not working). I think an extra $1000 will ultimately save you money as you won't have to make the trip twice (learnt that the hard way).
I have worked in renovation since I was a teenager and with all the years it has never surprised me when things went over budget...nature of the beast, and you are renovating the beast.

bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 06:52:25 AM »

( I have seriously cute kids that could command a high price on the open market....sure, I will miss them terribly, but we can make more.  lol.   Cheesy).  I just need to have a figure in my head to work towards.

Doug

Doug, when I need money I sell Dallas for $50 and an hour later when they can't take it any more and bring him back I charge them $100 for returning him. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:53:48 AM by Dallas » Logged

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 06:53:28 AM »

Doug, oil cost about 12 bucks a gal there is every major oil company wholesalers in El Paso known to man.Don't worry about Delo 100 there are different brands of oil that will work.Antifreeze can be purchased from the same places around 10 bucks a gal. I know there is a Chevron dist off exit 32 not far from Stewart and Stevenson been there before.  good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

( I have seriously cute kids that could command a high price on the open market....sure, I will miss them terribly, but we can make more.  lol.   Cheesy).  I just need to have a figure in my head to work towards.

Doug

Doug, when I need money I sell Dallas for $50 and an hour later when they can't take it any more and bring him back I charge them $100 for returning him. 

Hmmm (sound of wheels turning).....

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:11 AM »

WHen I went to pick up my bus i tried not to pay attention to the all little expenses as they were adding up to fast (denial is part of the addiction).  As you already know you can't have too much money....but you can't have too many fire extinguishers either, or tools.  Must haves for me are IR gun, big sockets and impact driver, small generator and compressor to run air tools when the bus ain't running (my generator also charged the bats all the way home as the bus's charging system was not working). I think an extra $1000 will ultimately save you money as you won't have to make the trip twice (learnt that the hard way).
I have worked in renovation since I was a teenager and with all the years it has never surprised me when things went over budget...nature of the beast, and you are renovating the beast.

Good advice Patrick, thank you.

Edmund Burke

BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »

Doug, oil cost about 12 bucks a gal there is every major oil company wholesalers in El Paso known to man.Don't worry about Delo 100 there are different brands of oil that will work.Antifreeze can be purchased from the same places around 10 bucks a gal. I know there is a Chevron dist off exit 32 not far from Stewart and Stevenson been there before.  good luck

Okay, thanks Clifford.  When I was stuck in El Paso I was calling every place I could and all of them had never even heard of Delo 100.  I know there has to be places in El Paso to buy good 2 stroke DD oil, I just couldn't find them in the height of the confusion.

Doug

Edmund Burke

cody

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 07:24:14 AM »

Careful on that dallas sale thing, I had him on ebay several times and even tho I kept dropping the reserve it was costing a lot, then the refunds were killers too.  One 82 year old lady even contacted us on double coupon day and dallas went running screaming out the door, haven't seen him since lol.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »

Delo 100 seems to be the gold standard but there are plenty of 40W cf2 oils out there.  Farmers supply etc...Walmart etc..

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »

You have to remember to use bus math in this situation.  After you have accounted for every possible contingency, double it.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 07:58:15 AM »

You have to remember to use bus math in this situation.  After you have accounted for every possible contingency, double it.

I keep forgetting that bus math thing.  Thanks for jarring my memory.  Okay, so I need $2000.00 dollars.  There, I said it.  I feel better knowing how high the hill is.  I am a goal oriented kind of guy so you really helped me out.   Wink

Edmund Burke

buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »

I keep forgetting that bus math thing.  Thanks for jarring my memory.  Okay, so I need $2000.00 dollars.  There, I said it.

Dont forget to multiply by Pi which brings you up to $6283...... Grin   I'm just sayin.... Wink

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
BigDougInOregon

Dulcius Ex Asperis!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »

I keep forgetting that bus math thing.  Thanks for jarring my memory.  Okay, so I need $2000.00 dollars.  There, I said it.

Dont forget to multiply by Pi which brings you up to $6283...... Grin   I'm just sayin.... Wink

Cry

Edmund Burke

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »

I keep forgetting that bus math thing.  Thanks for jarring my memory.  Okay, so I need $2000.00 dollars.  There, I said it.  I feel better knowing how high the hill is.  I am a goal oriented kind of guy so you really helped me out.   Wink

Oh, the hills can be very high, but coasting down the other side is just glorious!

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: