Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 02:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaska  (Read 4600 times)
Dallas

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

Sam,
To get a relatively useful idea of mileage from point "A" to point "B" just go to google and type in your starting point, (City and state "to" your destination point, (City and State) hit enter, then look in the upper left corner and click on "Maps"

The screen will change to google maps and give you mileage, a route and estimated time.

You can also change your route by grabbing the blue line on the map with a left mouse click and pulling it to where you want it. The map will recalculate automatically.

For instance, I just did Savanah, Ga to Anchorage, AK and came up with 4615 miles, 3 days 5 hours of travel.

Then I grabbed the blue line and pulled it over to Minneapolis, MN area and the map recalculated to 4596 miles and 3 days 6 hours travel.

I'll leave the difference in travel time up to the user to figure out, but it is logical, based on speed limits etc.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Savannah%2C%20Ga%20to%20Anchorage%2C%20AK&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Hi Brian and Gumpy,
I am not going, but my neighbor wants to and we were discussing distance to Anchorage. I based my estimate on the fact that four couples that I know that have gone and put on about 10,000 miles for the round trip. I thought my neighbor just wasn't being realistic about the distance and the cost. We are good friends so there were no ruffled feathers. I tried ask.com and all I could get was the "as the crow flies" distance of 2625 miles. I'm not very computer literate so I thought Craig could give a better answer. Thank you both for your help.
Sam 4106
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:14 PM »

Hi Dallas,
Thanks for the suggestion, but there seems to be a slightly optimistic calculation on the time required to travel from Savanah, GA to Anchorage, AK. First, the travel time of 3 days 5 hours would require you to travel 77 continuous hours. Second, it assumes a speed of 60 MPH over that 77 hours. While the distance of 4615 miles fron Savanah to Anchorage may be correct, the distance from Minneapolis to Anchorage can't possibly be. The difference 4596 miles and 4615 miles is 19 miles, and I know the distance between Savanah and Minneapolis is farther than that. It would probably be out of the way go from Savanah to Anchorage via Minneapolis but not that much.
Thanks, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »

Ok, well, let's see what the log book says....

Odometer read 94884.9 when we left St. Michael.  When I filled in Anchorage, it read 98962.0.

So that's 4077.1 miles.

Again, that's not a direct route from St. Michael to Anchorage.

Oh, and our final odometer was 104283.0.  So total mileage for the AK trip was 9398.1.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dallas

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »

Sam, I wasn't talking about moving your starting point from Savannah to Minneapolis, but rather changing the route taken....
the original route went through Iowa and South Dakota, but by grabbing the blue line with my mouse and pulling it to the Minneapolis area, it changed the whole route and so recalculated the distances.
Try creating a route with the directions given before. Once you have that, move your mouse to the blue line that shows on the map as your route. As soon as you are on the blue line, hold down the left mouse button and it will grab the line. Without letting up on the button, move the mouse somewhere else. Now let go of the button, and, Viola! your route has now changed.

Good luck.
Dallas

Hi Dallas,
Thanks for the suggestion, but there seems to be a slightly optimistic calculation on the time required to travel from Savanah, GA to Anchorage, AK. First, the travel time of 3 days 5 hours would require you to travel 77 continuous hours. Second, it assumes a speed of 60 MPH over that 77 hours. While the distance of 4615 miles fron Savanah to Anchorage may be correct, the distance from Minneapolis to Anchorage can't possibly be. The difference 4596 miles and 4615 miles is 19 miles, and I know the distance between Savanah and Minneapolis is farther than that. It would probably be out of the way go from Savanah to Anchorage via Minneapolis but not that much.
Thanks, Sam 4106
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »

Hi Dallas,
Thanks for the clarification. My brain doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. Thanks again for helping.
Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »

http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/]Having lived in Anchorage for a long time and driving back and forth 27 times I found the information in this thread to be mostly accurate.

I submit the following concerning firearms:

It is not possible to legally transport hand guns through Canada for ordinary folks.

Long guns and shotguns may be transported ONLY TO AND FROM ALASKA! The barrels must not be shortened. They will require a Canadian transport permit. There is a cost for the permit. It will be collected at Canadian Customs. The information is available here.

[url]http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/

You MUST fill out the US Customs firearms form at US Customs BEFORE departing the US. This form will be stamped by Customs and will be valid for as long as you own the firearm. The purpose is to prove that you owned the firearms before you departed the US so you can return with it/them. Do NOT forget this or you will not be able to return with the gun.

Does that sound like firearms registration?[/url]

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: