Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator Db level  (Read 16456 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

Both Mase and Panda make 3600rpm gensets for both marine and RV use that are enclosed in fiberglass cases.  I was at a boat show in Newport Beach and heard the 8kw Panda run.  With the ambient background noise, I couldn't hear it running.  I had to open the case to see if it was running.  3600rpm Diesel gensets are smaller, less vibration since it is running higher, usually cost less, and will still get around 10,000hrs of life out of them (that's like 400,000 miles of driving).  For most of us, that's sufficient.  I had a friend that had a 8kw Powertech in his big rig and it had 23,000hrs on it when he sold the truck without an engine overhaul (one gen rebuild).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:25:56 AM »

As I've previously noted, i use the Honda 300su. I have two and have them hooked parallel to achieve 5,500 watts. Normally i run only 1 when dry camping at Terlingua due to distance to gas station. This year we ran the whole camp, cooking ,a.c."s, lights and boom boxes on two the two generators. Very quiet and very fuel efficient. The first man up starts the coffee and when the generator revs up, I'm the second guy up.
  Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »

Cody, better come with something else TomC is closing on you, thanks for the update on Libby anything we can do let us know

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »

lol, thats ok, I've already lost to tom cause last year I moved the generator to the a/c compartment back by the engine, I needed the insulated bay for the cabinet saw lol. Besides libby was concerned about carbon monoxide possibly getting into the bus with the generator sitting right below the kitchen area, I even reasured her that the detector had never even made a peep, course she pointed out it's cause I pulled the batteries out, go figure, it sure is hard to win anymore lol.
Freedom Rider
Freedom Rider

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »

Cody & Bigjohn,

I'm curious as to how you guys use your honda gen/inverter. Do you use it while going down the road? I called honda and they did not recommend that way of use. They said it should be located outside.

Also, how many a/c units can you run while using the honda? I'm considering getting the EU3000.

Freedom Rider
cody

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »

The reason honda doesn't recommend the honda be used in a compartment is because the muffler is built into the generator casing, it doesn't have a separate exhaust pipe and muffler that can channel the fumes away.  The set up I use is with an exhaust fan that is plugged into the generator, the thing fires up, the fan comes on. very simple setup.  I have the 3000 watt inverter generator, it does a good job and will run one of my carrier 15K roof units.  My iggle has a household style refrigerator, a home style 20 gallon electric water heater and a bunch of stuff, it does a good job of running the bus, we've also got a combo washer/dryer that we use, we just have to watch what we're doing at any particular time, we don't run the a/c while we're running the dryer and we don't fire up the nuker while the a/c is running. The drawback to the 3000 watt honda is the manual choke, honda doesn't offer a remote start for it yet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:36:43 AM by cody » Logged
Freedom Rider
Freedom Rider

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:11 AM »

Cody,

Thanks for the reply. So it can be done with a little ingenuity. We were wanting to use a household fridge too, so this is reassuring to know that you can run all those things fairly comfortably.

Freedom Rider
Freedom Rider
Freedom Rider

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »

Cody,

I also noticed plug outlets on the honda unit. Do you plug your fridge directly into the unit or is it wired through a breaker box and then to outlets into your coach? If it's pluged directly into the unit do you use extension cords to make it reach?

Freedom Rider
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »

Sean,

I certainly agree that half the rpm will considerably increase engine life but there is no basis for the argument that half the rpm will make it quieter. There are too many variables. It all depends.

The liquid cooled Honda EV6010 is constant speed, no inverter.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
cody

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »

I use one of the 120 plugs for the exhaust fan, the 30 amp shore power cord plugs into a the main plug on the generator, I power the bus that way on the road.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: