Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 11:08:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: scooters, minibikes, 4X4s - what are you guys using  (Read 1804 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

I was looking at a couple of Yamaha TW200 motorcycles... Thought I could fashion a hitch/ramp assembly and hang it off the receiver...  They are about 260# each. That would not overload the tong capacity but it is not exactly a static load. It is cantelevered and maybe a bit bouncy - Thoughts?

Anyone with an interesting Toad? I seen a bus with a Jeep CJ5 towed behind... very cool!

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
cody

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

This poses an interesting problem that I've been wrassling too, what kind of mobile entertainment can i bring, we've got a jeep grand cherokee that we normally tow but also a dodge pickup. Libby has a golf cart that fits nicely in the back of the truck and my power chair also fits in the bay, now that is the problem, where to put the harley or the 4 wheeler.  I'll be watching the responses for ideas too.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »

The Harley fits in there too.  But towing someting light, 4 down is also on my list.  The quads of course can't be used on the road.  The Harley is pretty heavy to get in and out.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »

I pull my box "a 1963 econoline van" Holds my cb750 honda and my dirt bike. also a lot of tools.

Hope some day to get it painted to match the bus.

uncle ned
"huggy bear"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »

We have a pair of scooters in our bay.  A 150 Kymco and a 125 Yamaha (which replaced the 49 Honda in the photo below).  They are in the neighborhood of 260 lbs each, which is easy for either of us to load or unload single-handed.

We previously had a pair of 650 Suzuki motorcycles in there.  At close to 400 lbs each, and much more top-heavy than the scooters, it was a bit of a challenge loading and unloading.  So much so, that the motorcycles did not get nearly as much use as the scooters.

While the fast motorcycles were certainly more comfortable for long distances or on the freeway, we get away with less gear on the scooter, and we also get away with riding them in places we would never try to take the motorcycles, such as around fairgrounds and rally sites (e.g. FMCA conventions, Escapades, etc.).  We've even ridden them on the beach.

More importantly, to get the Suzis into Mexico, we needed to get Temporary Import Permits.  You can only have one of those per driver (although I have heard rumors that this may have changed), so we had to leave one bike in the states.  The scooters are under the 500cc limit on importation permits, and so we can bring them in and out at no cost.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »

Wow, you guys know how to roll...

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

Hi Viento,

We carry two electric scooters in the bay for short run travels. They are the folding kind that go 15mph and have a 7 mile range.

For the longer runs.... well, ya can't get much heavier in a toad....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »

Here is a picture we took of Uncle Ned as we were leaving Kyle's Non-Rally in October of 2008.

Glen
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

Some pretty awesome ideas indeed. I've seen golf carts without the roofs fitted into lower bays also. I generally have my bike and or  trike with me so I have an enclosed trailer that I am also making into sleeping quarters that I can yank behind the bus. I have fold down bunks, ac, 12 volt converter, cabinets, porta potty and such that can all be set or moved so I can haul the bikes and have more room for peeps to sleep when we get wherever we are going. It will be handy for the kids and grandkids to use also when camping  plus I can pull it with the pickup if I don't feel the need for the bus. Down the road when my biking days come to an end I can always buy a small car to tow in it. Later

My trike

And my Honda chopper that this company uses for their ads.
http://www.seegercycle.com/vt1100shadowchopperkit.aspx

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
cody

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:38:04 AM »

Now I feel left out cause I didn't post any pic so here is a pic of one of my toys lol. I seem to remember ads long ago that showed a carrier that mounted crosswise on the back of a truck using the hitch to carry bigger bikes, anyone remember this?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:53:58 AM by cody » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: