Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:58:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are folks paying for spray foam today?  (Read 1514 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »

What does it cost for spray foam for a bus in today's economy?  I am thinking just the foaming and not the shaving.

I know I paid about $450 for spray foam in a small area in my house in 2007.  The $450 was the minimum for them to show up.  The area was probably less than the minimum as it was only 60 square feet.  No shaving involved as they didn't need to fill the cavity completely.  The minimum would probably be less if done at their home base.

I'm thinking about making changes to my bus in 2010 and maybe having it spray foamed at that time.  I suppose prices might be up in 2010 if the economy recovers.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:17 AM »

You might price do-it-yourself foam kits instead of paying someone to use a squirt gun.  Check with places like Airgas to see if they have something that you can rent.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »

The kits are about 500 and only do about a third of an 8 with a roof raise or less

The professional that finished mine was less a thousand ( if my memory serves )and the foam he sprayed was much harder than the foam that the PO put in or the foam I put in

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »

I asked my wife's cousin who is in the business.  He said it was about $600.00  per 1/2 inch his price for closed cell foam kits.  He said if he could use bulk it would be less, however that would involve the company's equipment which would double the kit price.

Ouch!  I'm looking at 1/2" to seal then Rmax the rest?

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »

I believe if you can get it done for you for under 1000 bucks your doing alright, that would includ ethe ceiling.

Have Fun!!
Grant
Doug1968

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

Belfert,

I have a 102A3 that I am converting and I received a quote today from a local insulation company to spray the inside of the bus with a closed cell polyurethane foam.

The cost quoted is $1.30 per square foot for 1" thick and $1.60 per square foot for 1-1/2" thick foam. This cost includes shaving and I was told that the process would take 3-4 hours.

I estimate that I will have approximately 750 square feet. Works out to about $1,200.00.

Doug
Vancouver, Wa

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

When I am ready to do mine I plan to call the various Utility, Trailmobile, etc companies that repair wrecked reefer trailers.
I will have them price doing mine at the same time they spray a wrecked reefer they are repairing.
I am pretty sure I will get a good price and an excellent job that way.
Now I know that did not answer the question...however it is an idea to get a good price and more importantly...a very good application!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »

Belfert,

I think that we paid 1200, but I am not for absolutely sure. That was with 1.5" on the walls, and 2.25" on the ceiling. Eight inch roof raise, and a LOT of scraping. The guy who sprayed ours was incredible. He knew what he was doing! The only thing that the foam did was pull the skin a little tighter (not a big deal) so you can see where the supports are. We were going to spray the floor too, but we didn't get that done. Instead we raised the floor. We put 1.5 2X material down (for support) and then 1.5" foam in between the supports. We covered it all with half inch plywood.

HTH

God bless,

John

Doug, I hadn't looked at your post. That is funny. Your estimated price, and mine are dead on...

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »

Is 1 1/2" enough on the walls even if my walls are 2" thick?  1 1/2" thick would make it unlikely to need shaving.

$1000 to $1200 doesn't seem too bad.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
chris4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »

Had our 4905 sprayed about 10 years ago.  Had the entire inside walls and ceiling done.  It's been a while since I've seen the metal ribs (which is a good thing !!!), but about 1-1/2" depth sounds right.

There is lots more to spraying that stuff than just "spraying a squirt gun".  The guy was dressed like he was bout to enter the space shuttle for Apollo 13.  The heat generated is unbelievable.

Firms up the skin and I can hold a sock hop (boy does that date me or what !!) on the roof.

It cost me $1,200, 10 years ago, and that was with me doing the shaving.  Definitely worth the money spend.  I would recommend cutting the budget somewhere else, other than the spray insulation, if possible.  I know I made the right choice every time we parked in the sun during the summer.  NOTHING yet, compares to spray foam insulation, for firming up the bus and keeping it cool in the summer and warm in the winter..

Chris

Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:38:09 AM »

Belfert,

If you was me (or wait did I say that wrong Grin) I would do the whole 2 inches.  But then again, we will be living out of ours quite a bit in every climate (-30 to +110). We didn't have the full 2 inches, like yours, but I would have liked that extra bit. Maybe you could do 1.5 and then fill the extra with a sound deadening material. The foam is so hard that it passes contact noise through (like a evergreen branch swishing across the top of the bus all night, I know we trimmed it the next morning Shocked).

JAT

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:14:07 AM »

Belfert, I will go back to my Reefer days, I could finish unloading in Philly, come home to NC and the box was still pretty cool on a hot day in the summer.  (Not cold, but cool.) That was a 10 hour drive back then.  Try that in a regular box trailer.  And we are really talking about the same thing here.  A bus with little insulation as opposed to one with insulation out the ying yang!
The more insulation the less it costs to heat and cool.  Period!
If you have two inches, I think I would go two inches.
In fact I am going to run 2X5/8ths furring strips on the walls and ceiling to be able to add a 1/2 inch more insulation.  (Which will also enable me to be able to not worry about finding GOOD places to anchor cabinets and other 'stuff' to the walls!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: