Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:28:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardwood fooring direction  (Read 2898 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »

OK, I have scoured the Oprah website looking for tips on making small rooms appear larger. I did not find any tips but I noticed that my hairstyle is out of date. Anyway, I have 3 basic options:

lengthwise,
Widthwise (is that a word?)
Diagonally

Thoughts?

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »

Diagonally hides more sins & doesn't add to the tunnel feel

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »

Ace suggested we do our Australian cypress Floor at a 45 degree angle.  We are very happy with the results. As was mentioned diagonal will hide any small discrepancies in the T&G joints which occurred during installation. Lengthwise will show every discrepancy as well as give a more pronounced "tunnel look". We did not care for the crosswise look, seemed to make the interior appear shorter.  Jack
PS: We chose flooring with micro bevel on ends as well as sides of boards.  This gives a little more traction when walking while bus is moving, as well as giving a better (matching) appearance between board ends and sides.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:45:47 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:42:29 PM »

Thank you,

Diagonal it is then:)

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

ce suggested we do our australian cypress Flor at a 45 degree angle.  We are very happy with the results. As was mentioned diagonal will hide any small discrepancies in the T&G joints which occured during installation. Lengthwise will show every discrepancy as well as give a more pronounced "tunnel look". We did not care for the crosswise look, seemed to make the interior appear shorter.  Jack
PS: We chose flooring with micro bevel on ends as well as sides of boards.  This gives a little more traction when walking while bus is moving, as well as giving a better (matching) appearance between borad ends and sides.

Jack....... Awesome looking floor you have...Hope mine turns out even half as good as your's did.

Jimmy

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »

OK, I have scoured the Oprah website looking for tips on making small rooms appear larger. I did not find any tips but I noticed that my hairstyle is out of date. Anyway, I have 3 basic options:

lengthwise,
Widthwise (is that a word?)
Diagonally

Thoughts?

I did all of the above.
each room different Wink

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »

Jack, that is one beautiful floor. Well done! Grin

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:00:58 PM »

Yes, excellent  floor Jack.   When did you install?   
Lengthwise will add the most illusory length.   Still, Jack's diagonal pattern adds to 'cool' factor. 
Depending on cost, any angle will add to the cost of the finished product.  This is particularly true with 'interlocking' flooring.   You'll have additional waste.   I discovered that when installing Armstrong ceramic flooring in my bus.  Bought 25% more than the square feet would have suggested...wrong.  Ended up almost doubling the amount used.   Unlike my Pergo at home, the cut ends couldn't be used. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:22 PM »

That is a beautiful floor indeed and does exactly what you said Jack!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Blacksheep

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »

JR and others, rule of thumb for laying the floor on a 45 degree angle is total sq footage and add 15%! Of course this depends on type of flooring! If you start in the right place, your cut end piece will be the next start piece, and so on!

The best and easiest way to install any type floor on an angle is to use a speed square! It's small, easy to use and almost no continuess measuring!

Ace
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »

Yes, excellent  floor Jack.   When did you install?  
JR

Thanks for all the compliments. The floor is prefinished Australian Cypress that we purchased from Lumber Liquidators. It is T&G on ends as well as sides and 7/16" thick (solid wood). We installed it using a floor nailer, putting nails about every 4 ".  We should have put down a layer of 15# roofing paper first, we still ended up with a few squeaks if you step in the right spots. We installed the floor in '03.  The finish has held up great, although we do have a few very small dings from me dropping a few things (mostly tools).  Jack

Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »

beautiful floor indeed Jack.
Here are some pictures of mine (better late than never).
It is Bruce Hardwood prefinished.
By doing all the different patterns, I had to regroove, retung and rebevel almost every peice. Cry

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

Cool

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »

Wow, all looks really good.  How do you guys get to your floor hatches for the tunnels and engine?  That access kept me from laying wood or tile in my Eagle, and several times I've had to get into those tunnels.

David
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 04:53:21 AM »

Wow, all looks really good.  How do you guys get to your floor hatches for the tunnels and engine?  That access kept me from laying wood or tile in my Eagle, and several times I've had to get into those tunnels.
David

The only OEM access hatches (2) on the MCIs are in the rear under our bed.  Jack

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »

Jack,

Yours is a really special looking job.  That would be my first choice....easily.  If I were making a wish.  Was that floor laid prior to installing the cabinets?  Is it doable after the interior is installed?  I assume that nails hold the floor down....correct?  How far do they penetrate and how did you deal with the metal under an in the bus floor?  Why Cypress?  It is pretty but is it hard?  Was any glue used?

Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks for the pics,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »

Jack,

Yours is a really special looking job.  That would be my first choice....easily.  If I were making a wish.  Was that floor laid prior to installing the cabinets?  Is it doable after the interior is installed?  I assume that nails hold the floor down....correct?  How far do they penetrate and how did you deal with the metal under an in the bus floor?  Why Cypress?  It is pretty but is it hard?  Was any glue used?

Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks for the pics,

John

Thanks John,
   The floor was installed after all the cabinets were installed. We did remove the dinette, sofa, and chairs to install the floor.  The Australian Cypress is moderately hard (harder than cedar, but not as hard as oak).  The floor is 7/16" thick and was installed using 1 1/4" flooring nails and a flooring nailer. Floor is nailed to the new 3/4" plywood we installed after removing all the OEM wood floor inside the bus. The only metal we had to contend with were the 2 metal strips that the OEM seats bolted to.  We just put a flooring nail on either side of the metal strips.  Jack

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »

Jack,

That makes it even more impressive.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: