Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 12:57:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning Man 2009  (Read 1093 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »

Well, It came up on a thread a few weeks ago and I barely suggested it to my dearest of friends and next thing you know, she is volunteering at some coffee shop and we are going Smiley

Anyone  else?

I guess it is a good time to replace the carpet and couch with hardwood and leather - I hear it can be dusty. No comments on the leather...

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:31 AM »

Burning Man is on my list of things to do in this lifetime.  I have a friend that's gone to it a couple of times.  You wouldn't believe the stories, nor the pictures!  Can't do it this year, but I'm game in 2010 or 2011!!!

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Tim Strommen
Electronics Geek

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »

Setting up a bus for Burning Man 2002 is what finally convinced me to get mine...

My friend Dave, had a '68 Dodge/Wayne 35-footer (gas powered) that was stripped of it's school'ish interior, and fitted with a kitchen in the back, shower, and "congregation space" just short of the drivers seat.

The playa is a pain to get out... (very dusty)  I didn't go, but I saw the bus the night they left and the night it returned...  there was at least an inch of dry lakebed in the interior when they got back... (messy)

-Tim

Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go Smiley)
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:00:39 PM »

For those that dont know=
http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »

If I were taking my coach, I would set up a "dustlock" out the door -- a tent where most of the dusty stuff would stay, with a heavy plastic sheet in the middle, sealed at the edges to the open coach door.  I would also put filters over all vents.

You would go into the lock "contaminated" end, zip the outer door closed, then pat and shake the dust off.  Then you go through a slit in the sheeting into the "semi-contaminated" end, take off shoes and outer clothing (or at Burning Man, maybe put it ON),  put on slippers, change into what you wear in the coach, then zip open the other end, go into the coach, and zip it closed again.  In the stairwell, take off the slippers and leave them there (the slippers are JUST for going into and out of the semi-contaminated end of the tent).

A field expedient dustlock can be made with 2x4s and plastic sheeting, and allow you to put your outer door in a direction away from the wind.

Doing this will leave 99% of the dust in the tent and stairwell.

It's amazing the tricks we learned in that Civil Defense course back in 1971 . . !

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »

Hee hee that's a good idea but if you've ever been there you'd realize how fruitless it would be.  Two years ago, just getting down the 1 mile road between the gate where they take your tickets and the event itself took me slightly over two hours ~ nasty dust storm with close to zero visibility most of the way ~ and when I finally "landed" my *bed* had almost half of an inch layer of that fun dust sitting on it... not to mention the rest of the bus.  Gawd what a mess.  More dust than accumulated in an entire event some years, and I hadn't even been there more than a few hours.  And that was just what blew in all the little air leaks n holes that are all over anyone's bus. My windows were shut and so were all my doors etc.

You have to realize that the dust there is about the same consistency as very fine talcum powder, often blowing so thickly that there is zero visibility, and NOTHING will keep it out of your bus.
And air-lock tents n stuff have a habit of getting taken away by those same winds (135 mph gusts were clocked that year)

What I do is simply use sticky backed RV carpet protector (clear, comes on rolls), stick it on all of my floors and furniture, go have a dusty good time, and when I get back pull the stuff off, scrub the bus's remaining exposed interior down with vinegar water three times in succession (besides being everwhere, the stuff is also slightly caustic), and be done with it.  The dust is part of the fun and it's unavoidable.

The funniest one that happened to me was last year after roughly the same amount of dust at the event, but over a week instead of an hour, I was driving away from the event and about a mile away I heard a loud thump and looked in the rear view mirror, and thought I'd lost my engine and was on fire or something.  The smoke cloud was so thick I couldn't see anything behind me and it was a wind-less clear day.  But I still had power so quickly I ran thru what it might be and it suddenly dawned on me that this was the first time that the engine had gotten up to temp enough to engage the fan clutch to "hi"
It was simply doing the kind of engine cleaning operation that the mars rovers would have been jealous of... ~~

Cheers

And... COME to the burn!  I wouldn't miss it!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:38:40 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: