Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:20:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Metal Shears...  (Read 1836 times)
Clarke Echols

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »

I was at the Big Orange Store today and noticed a Milwaukee electric metal shear -- essentially a power scissors device that can cut (they say) through 18-gauge steel at 15 feet per minute (that's fast!).  Costs about $170 or so.

Question:  Do any of you guys have any experience with such devices, and how effective are they?

I'm also curious about how long the cutter blades last, and are they easily replaced?

Clarke
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:58:03 PM »

Clarke,

We have a couple of the Milwaukee Sheers, The blades last us about 6 to 10 month's, but we use them almost everyday.

My favorite now is the cordless Dewalt sheer, 24v awsome....

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »

I have an air powered version.  I've cut 16ga steel with them.  Been using them for 3 years on the same blades.  Not every day though.  I thought the Milwaukee electric version was a lot more money than that, but then, I've not seen them in HD either.
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »

when I started my bus I was covering window openings with 16 gauge sheetmetal and used $39.00 air shears from harbor freight and it worked great after decieding to raise the roof I cut all of my alum sheets with them,for the price and if you will not be useing them daily I think you would be happy with it   Mike
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »

Got mine from a Pawn shop tool bin for $20
Electric shaped like a drill. I think they are Milwaukee brand.

Sure beats $180 list that I have seen. Will shear .050 aluminum as fast as you can hold and push.
Little tougher with steel, You kinda need some cutting lube to make it work better.

Spray silicone works with aluminum to ease the effort and wipes off with alcohol or cleaner.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »

Hi Clarke,

I'd guess that the shear head was made by Kett. You can find these shears with just about any brand of motor attached to them. (I own the Porter Cable). Kett also makes some other real cool tools. The motors are just slightly modified drill motors. Some motors are built better than others. I think that the red motor that you are looking at is top shelf stuff. I also feel that the yellow motors are lower quality. I'd shop around online if you have some time. The price seems a little high. Regarding the life of the edge....too hard to put on paper...too many variables there. Cutting edges will last a long time if you follow the instructions supplied with the unit.

hth, Tq
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 08:25:26 PM by Torquester » Logged

Torquester
1974 Silver Eagle, 3406 Caterpillar, South Dakota
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 08:43:35 PM »

Plasma cutter.  Obsoletes airplane snips and hand shears, electrical shears, my four foot sheetmetal shear, my sawzall, and my circular saw, at least when talking about steel or aluminum.
Done an entire enclosed generator trailer and now doing bus #3...
Hands down, plasma cutter....

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 06:50:35 PM »

Plasma cutter.  Obsoletes airplane snips and hand shears, electrical shears, my four foot sheetmetal shear, my sawzall, and my circular saw, at least when talking about steel or aluminum.
Done an entire enclosed generator trailer and now doing bus #3...
Hands down, plasma cutter....

I was going to say that.... Mine is a ThermalDynamics cutmaster 38 and makes real fast cutting of aluminum sheet
only problem is deburring the edge sometimes. Shaky hands don't help either....
Sure makes lots of neat ziggy zaggy lines if you lose your concentration. The shear has it's own problems with that curly bit
getting in the way and grabbing at you....

Roll Eyes

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
KC Eagle

83 Eagle in process

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »

Just cut my 14 ga aluminum window skins with a borrowed Milwalkee shear - great tool! Cuts a fast neat line, but not real great on the corners on 14 ga alu. I may need to get me one of these...
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 10:51:36 PM »

I have a set of the Makita punch and die type metal nibblers,easy to use,cuts up to 1/8 inch mild steel and 16 gauge stainless.

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: