Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intro  (Read 10550 times)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 05:48:13 PM »

Much as I love the classic old Scenicruiser, I don't think this would be a good choice for Tamri & her family.  They were originally designed as a line-haul coach, and in that role they were perfect.  After coming out of Greyhound service (the last ones left about 1975 or so), many tour & charter companies picked one up, sort of like a "status" thing. 

Can't blame them.  The original Scenicruiser was the most elegant coach design ever built.

The Buff is more practical, but it just can't match the classy profile of the 4509.
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

I have had many GM coaches apart and None of them (not one) were built at the Factory with Any kind of frame running down the center line of the roof....

regarding the broken Bus you saw years ago just how large was the skylight the guy installed Huh

I am thinking he must not have had a clue as to the roof being the supporting member on his coach and he installed the skylight by cutting through one or both of the steel roof support frames that run front to rear on about a 3 foot spacing on either side of the roof center line.

Also just about every GM Bus that has been converted to coach/rv use has at least one and most have several roof vents and roof airs in them and it does not seem to affect the strength of the coach in any way.

starting with the the model 4107 right through the last Buffalo the roof ribs and all the roof framing and support pieces in the roof were made from STEEL no aluminum whatsoever.

hope the helps 

Chris 
Old4103

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »

Steel framing started way before the 4107....

Our PD4103 has steel crossmembers and roof braces, but, it also has the steel roof support frame running down the center, along with the other two already mentioned.

Dallas
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 06:19:20 PM »

Dallas, You are correct steel roof ribs were used in most Gm buses if not all as far as I know

I was being or trying to be specific to the post by BG6  referring to the Buffalo models he was writing about

I did not say that Gm buses were not built with a center line roof support but that the Buffalos were not

Chris
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »

I have not seen the roof structure on any GM model other than our GM4106, but it does not have a frame member running lengthwise in the center of the roof. It has two frame members running lengthwise at about the spacing of the engine cradle supports, so having our A/Cs and vents in the center of the roof didn't compromise its strength.
Thanks, Sam 4106

I agree Sam I think that is a common " Urban legend "

Nope.  Got the pictures of my coach with part of the ceiling down, and years ago I saw a Buff with a skylight the owner had put in, which also happened to be the low point of the V-shaped roof, directly over the splintered floor and where the cargo bay doors had popped out as the bay floor sank down to grind on the highway.

Not to be argumentative but one incident does not make it a hazard warning.

There is more on the road with air conditioners down the center line than ones with any problems related to your example.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2009, 09:05:21 AM »

I have had many GM coaches apart and None of them (not one) were built at the Factory with Any kind of frame running down the center line of the roof....

regarding the broken Bus you saw years ago just how large was the skylight the guy installed Huh

3 feet by 3 feet.

In the (hopefully) attached pic, you can see the stamped channel that runs at the peak of the roof as a dark line between the shiny ribs.

Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2009, 02:05:03 PM »

Hi BG6,
You said on another post that you are a professional writer. You have disagreed with several of us, on various topics, on different threads. Including me, when I said that our GM4106 doesn't have a rib running lengthways in the center of the roof.  Is your writing speciality fiction?
Thanks, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Old4103

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »

Well Gentlemen, I hate to disagree with everyone, but.... here are the two pages from the PD4106 parts manual.

They show a center piece along with the 2 side pieces.

Is an apology in order?

Dallas

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2009, 04:32:45 PM »

Come on guys, lets take this offline, or be nice. This is Tamri's thread, and her first thread at that. If you want to fuss at each other, another topic would be very nice.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
PacNWNomad

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2009, 04:46:49 PM »

Come on guys, lets take this offline, or be nice. This is Tamri's thread, and her first thread at that. If you want to fuss at each other, another topic would be very nice.

God bless,

John

Eh, I've been posting on forums for 12+ years now. I'm shocked my intro made it this many pages w/o being threadjacked.  Wink
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »

Hi BG6,
You said on another post that you are a professional writer. You have disagreed with several of us, on various topics, on different threads. Including me, when I said that our GM4106 doesn't have a rib running lengthways in the center of the roof.  Is your writing speciality fiction?
Thanks, Sam 4106

Well, Sam, you've got me pegged.

Just because there's an aluminum channel in the center of the roof of every GMC I've ever worked on doesn't mean that it really exists.  Figment of my imagination.  Feel free to chop holes in your roof to your heart's content.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »

Well Gentlemen, I hate to disagree with everyone, but.... here are the two pages from the PD4106 parts manual.

They show a center piece along with the 2 side pieces.

Is an apology in order?

Are you kidding?  5 hours after I posted a PHOTOGRAPH of the thing, Sam still accuses me of lying. 

It doesn't matter.  I know that I'm right, and I've warned anyone willing to pay attention.  For the rest, well, it's their coach and their problem, not mine.

My philosophy is that I'll tell you that the bridge is out, but I won't stand in your way if you want to drive off it.

gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »

HA AH

I told you that all GM buses were built with a center rib in the ceiling

Case closed

Chris

yea Dallas You are right again

LOL
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »

Hmmmm...  I wonder why GM called it a stiffner in the description  Grin 

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

Hi BG6 and Dallas,
You are certainly right that an apology is in order and I offer it now. It is qiute apparent that my memory has failed since I converted my GM4106.
I have offended too many people on the board lately so it is time to take a break from posting. I won't try to make excuses, but I am sorry that I offended you and others.
Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: