Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 06:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: power steering on mci 8  (Read 3553 times)
mci8

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:46:47 PM »

how do I check the power steering fluid on an mci 8?
Sojourner

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 03:20:15 AM »

Where & How to check Power Steering fluid as per MCI-8 Manual;

Power steering reservoir & filter with sight glass are located in the upper right hand side of engine compartment. Rear end of right cylinder head.

Use SAE No.10W motor oil (service MS) as per MCI-8 Maintenance Manual.
Some bus-charter shop use automatic trans fluid but it thinner & prone to leaks.

Strongly advise to purchase a MCI-8 Maintenance manual to have peace in mind.

MC-8…..PAGE 11-2……DATE June 15, 1974
MAINTENANCE MANUAL

FILLING POWER STEERING SYSTEM:

When the power steering hydraulic fluid system is drained, or if any lines or connections are removed, it is necessary to bleed air completely from the system to ensure satisfactory operation.

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM: Use SAE No. 10w motor (Service MS).

Fill the reservoir to the recommended level as indicated on the reservoir. If the level is higher, over flow will occur during operation. If the level gets too low, air will be drawn into the system.

The proper refilling and bleeding procedure is as follows:

• Raise front end of vehicle until wheels clear the floor. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir, located in the engine compartment, to the FULL mark. Allow the fluid to remain undisturbed for about two minutes. Turn wheels to left and right in order to remove air from the power steering cylinder, adding fluid to the reservoir as needed to maintain level to the FULL mark. Continue until air bubbles no longer show in the reservoir.

Remember the above quote is done with engine Not Running.

Start engine and operate on idle speed. Turn wheels to right and left, but do not hit wheel stops. Add fluid as needed at the reservoir until half way in the sight gauge. Continue until all air bubbles disappear at the reservoir. Increase engine speed to 2/3 of full throttle, continuing the procedure outlined above. Lower the vehicle front end and turn wheels to right and left a few more times. Check for fluid leaks. Add fluid to reservoir until half way in the sight gauge.

Caution….do what it being said above instruction…..or….you will continue to have Air Bubbles in fluid. If ALL possible Never let “relief pressure” valve to open while airing out or bleed PS system…or…you will add tinier “air-bubble” in already bubble-ize fluid. That why "jack-up" to avoid high pump pressure from making ONE large bubble into many tinier bubbles.

Gear Box LUBRICATION: Use SAE 90 gear lubricant. Fill the steering gear housing with lubricant. Fill the housing from the uppermost filler plug. The housing should be full to ensure adequate lubrication of all internal parts. Capacity of the gear housing is 7 pints.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:43:29 AM by Sojourner » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:48:47 AM »

Some MC-8s (including mine) are running Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) instead of 10 W motor oil. Make sure you add the same fluid that is in the system!  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
mci8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 07:44:38 PM »

I put 3 quarts of auto trans fluid in and it steers much better. If only I would have know before our 420 mile trip home from DC......Thanks for the answers.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »

I can not see anything in the window of my PS glass. How do I know what to refill with? SAE 10 or ATF. How do I find out what is in there in my 8?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:21:35 PM »

You can take the top off the reservoir and dip a little fluid out, if it is bright red it is power steering fluid, if it is oil coloured amber, it is engine oil. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »

Can you even get 10W engine oil nowadays?

Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:33:48 PM »

Took the top off and it was bone dry. Kinda smelt like ATF bilut I took the hose off and I was right. Will this ATF I got from walmart work for the PS and my Allison transmission?

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »

Sure!

Why wouldn't it?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up