Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:30:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: will the bigger MC12 8v92 radiators fit my mci9 bus without modifications???  (Read 3290 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »

Ed,
Thanks for the info. I think you lived my worst nightmare by the sound of your email. Spend all that money for an inadequate result, that must have been tough.

One question though, what did you mean by you "opened the output like the later MCI coaches"?. I don't know what that means. Louvering the doors? or getting rid of the adjustable vent things on the scrolls??? I have the larger blower fans but I am a bit reluctant to do the smaller pulley. How do you get the belt adjusted correctly??? It seems like the whole saddle assembly would tend to lean up and back to use the smaller puller. I'm sure I just don't have a firm grasp on the concept yet. Thanks everyone for all your input. I am gonna get this old Bus rolling agaon soon.

Ricks

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

Rick,
   The opening below each squirrel cage fan into the engine compartment is either approx. 7" X 14" or approx. 14" X14".  Our MC-8 is 7" X 14".  I think ed was referring to enlarging the 7 X 14 to 14 X 14 and installing the larger fans if not already equipped with them. There were 2 different pulley diameters. The smaller pulley spins the fans faster and requires a different belt that is sized to allow proper adjustment.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

Thanks Jack for the clarification. I do have the 14X14 openings. Also, thanks for the info on the belt for the smaller pulley. Maybe I'll change that pulley as well seeing how I have it all apart. Had a great talk today with Gumpy who is the resident expert at rebuilding cooling system in MCI's. Tomorrow will be a big day becuase I'll get some info and prices from General radiator and Diesel radiator. I am hoping that their prices are reasonable. Spending almost 2k to fix the smaller radiators doesn't seem like a reasonable option to me when there is mounting evidence that suggests they still won't get me over Eisenhower pass.

My plan is to get the larger radiators and replace all the seals in the back and use expanding foam as well to make it as airtight as possible, I already purchased a new air filter from Luke as well new blower scroll seals. A new pulley and seals for the blower gearbox and an aux Hayden transmission cooler and Colorado here we come!!!

I might be in 1rst gear but Eisenhower is gonna be in my rear view mirror eventually.

Now watch, I'll probably lose my Detroit on Vail pass just because I got so sure of myself!!!

Can you imagine the grief I would get from all of you!!! Grin Grin

Thanks again for all your help folks...

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »

Wow what a great site, how do I get to the whole site??

Thanks

John
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »

http://www.gumpydog.com/

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print