Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 12:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's Johnny Cash  (Read 4809 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »

I'm rather bemused by this thread because I cannot figure out what damages the original artist could possibly sue for. Unless you are 'passing-off' the recreation, or otherwise trying to make money out of it, I struggle to see any likelyhood of getting sued by the original rights-holder, even in a clear-cut case (exact reproduction of a work with unambiguous ownership). As an example, there are thousands of replicas running around of famous cars used in movies - General Lees, Bullitt & Eleanor Mustangs, Mad Max Interceptors, Herbies, Kowalski Chargers, S&H Tornios etc etc. In each of those cases the original copyright is presumably owned by huge and litigious movie corporations, but I've never once heard of the builder of such a replica getting sued - unless for example they tried to sell their car as being genuine.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »

Much to  do about nothing.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »

True, this thread expanded into a broader discussion of copyrights on creative artwork.  With regard to the Johnny Cash bus, like I mentioned before, since it appears it is just basic colors and wide band stripes I doubt there is any risk for an individual copying it to their bus.  At first glance it looked like a mural on the side but on closer inspection it looks like a reflection of something nearby. 

Copying unique creative works is what would get more risky.  Still I would agree a suit is unlikely.  Just like it is unlikely that a music label will choose you to make an example out of you for downloading unlicensed music downloads.  But when they do ...

Also, if a person is considering copying a unique creative work without permission, like buswarrior point out,  whether you get caught and challenged or not, it is a moral issue as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:17:32 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: