Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 07:47:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's Johnny Cash  (Read 4470 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 03:34:38 AM »

I'm rather bemused by this thread because I cannot figure out what damages the original artist could possibly sue for. Unless you are 'passing-off' the recreation, or otherwise trying to make money out of it, I struggle to see any likelyhood of getting sued by the original rights-holder, even in a clear-cut case (exact reproduction of a work with unambiguous ownership). As an example, there are thousands of replicas running around of famous cars used in movies - General Lees, Bullitt & Eleanor Mustangs, Mad Max Interceptors, Herbies, Kowalski Chargers, S&H Tornios etc etc. In each of those cases the original copyright is presumably owned by huge and litigious movie corporations, but I've never once heard of the builder of such a replica getting sued - unless for example they tried to sell their car as being genuine.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »

Much to  do about nothing.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:15 AM »

True, this thread expanded into a broader discussion of copyrights on creative artwork.  With regard to the Johnny Cash bus, like I mentioned before, since it appears it is just basic colors and wide band stripes I doubt there is any risk for an individual copying it to their bus.  At first glance it looked like a mural on the side but on closer inspection it looks like a reflection of something nearby. 

Copying unique creative works is what would get more risky.  Still I would agree a suit is unlikely.  Just like it is unlikely that a music label will choose you to make an example out of you for downloading unlicensed music downloads.  But when they do ...

Also, if a person is considering copying a unique creative work without permission, like buswarrior point out,  whether you get caught and challenged or not, it is a moral issue as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:17:32 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: