Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 01:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: broke down in tucumcary nm  (Read 1741 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

Hi folks, I am traveling from Ca. to Ky. and am having problems with my air dryer. MC 9 (1983 model) It started gradually but now is stuck open letting air out. (fast)  Any sugestions?
would luke at us coach have a replacment if needed and if so could anyone tell me his contact info.
As always,  thanks

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

888 COACH 34

I expect he will either have what you need or be able to tell you how to get on without it. 

Talk to Luke or Bill.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »

Hi guy, when we have had that problem on trucks we hit it lightly sort of with a tire billy and it unstuck it.
One especially did it every week or so and we'ed get out, whack it and away we would go!
Hope that helps.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Old4103

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

Any Detroit, Cummins, Cat, Fleet Pride, Navistar, Freightliner, Peterbilt, KW, Napa, Etc,. will have what you need.

Ask questions though... Tulsa Detroit was selling complete Air dryers for $160/exchange not too long ago.  It would be cheaper replacing the whole unit than taking the time to take it off and rebuild what you have, since you have to take it off anyway.

Good Luck.

Dallas
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »

Jack's method may get you somewhere where it would be safer to work on it, but it sounds like the dryer needs to be serviced. If it's got the original AD2 dryer in it, you can service it without removing it from the bus.

You'll need to get the bus safely up enough so you can crawl under the front. The dryer is mounted on the bulkhead in front of the front axle. It'll look like this:

http://www.bepco.biz/Catalogs/AirBrakeCat/92-94.pdf

The large hex fitting on the cover is the the purge valve(the part that's sticking open).  If you have a big enough wrench, you might be able to remove it and clean it out and be on your way.

If it's full of oily, watery gunk, or it's been a while since the dryer was serviced, then you should replace the cartridge as soon as you can.

Your shop manual should have the how to in it.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
ttomas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

thanks a million guys, I took the valve apart, cleaned it and it seems to be working fine. Thanks again
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »

I redid my AD-9 air dryer almost two years ago.  I ordered from MCI what I thought was a remanufactured purge valve, but it was actually a rebuild kit.  The rebuilt valve just spit air constantly so I found a remanufactured 24 volt purge valve at a local truck parts place and installed that.  (The purge valve has a heater and I needed 24 volt.)

I have no idea why the rebuild failed as there aren't that many parts.  You are lucky yours works now.  I would rebuild it or replace it when you get home.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »

We were through Tucumcary, NM, about 5 years ago with a small engine problem. On a Saturday. We pulled into the Detroit Diesel dealer's there, (I forget the name now). The owner's son was there and he took us off the street and treated us like family. Had us on our way by the next day, after letting us sleep in the bus in their yard. Sent us to a nice S. Western type restaurant Sat. night. It sure made us feel good and secure in a strange town. Highly recommended to anyone through there with a mechanical problem.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:24:15 PM »

You just can't beat the friendly New Mexico folks. I absolutely love living here and wonder why I ever left so many years ago. It is good to be back!

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: