Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 19, 2017, 08:13:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92 mechanic in Orange County CA ?  (Read 1574 times)
Iceni John

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »

Does anyone know of a trustworthy experienced mechanic in Orange County CA who can work on older Detroits?   I do not have any problems yet (touch wood), but if/when something happens I would like to know where I can take my Crown for some TLC.   I keep hearing stories about the importance of finding someone who worked on these engines in their heyday, rather than some spotty kid fresh out of tech school who has barely heard of 2-stroke engines.   (When I had a 1970 Mercedes my rule was to never have anyone younger than the car working on it, and I managed to find a solid German mechanic who had worked in the factory in Stuttgart in the 1960s when these cars were made, so he knew all the tricks such as adjusting worn door lock cores and correctly reaming kingpin bushings.)   My bus has a silver 6V92TAC DDEC II, and it starts and runs well  -  no smoke, no leaks, about 9 MPG, all new fluids and filters, but the Jakes sometimes do not engage so perhaps I need a tune-up.   Yes, I know Don Fairchild in Bakersfield is The Man, but he's 150 miles from here.

Thanks for your collective wisdom,
John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of solar on the roof.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:49 PM »

I used to live there but don't remember anyone. Don Fairchild in Bakersfield is one of the best at two strokes. I know it's not close but well worth the extra drive.

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »

One county over is PEDCO, in Santa Fe Springs.  IMO, absolutely the best two-stroke shop in the LA metro area.  They have in-framed my 8V92 twice, and we lived aboard at the shop both times.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »

I agree about Don.  It's worth the drive, he's the best. I take my stuff to him from San Diego and it's well worth every moment getting there...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »

Drive to Don's well worth it, Virgil (Pedco) is a good 2 stroke guy but dealing with him get everything in writing his invoices can grow in minutes.   good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »

Hi John,Don Fairchild ?the gold standard so far as I am concerned.If not doing the work myself,He is one of the few I would ever let near my engine.Worth the trip every time

1989 Model 15 Predator class War Bird
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: