Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 03:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete newbie... 1966 GMC PD-4107 (#265)  (Read 4964 times)
Vanderbus

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »

Hi,

My friend and I just bought a bus last Saturday. As the title says, it's a PD-4107. We didn't get any manuals, so we've ordered some and are waiting for them to come.

BUT, I can't wait to get started. A bus in the driveway is like money in my pocket; I can't just leave it there. The bus is in pretty good shape, as far as I can tell, but I want to remove as much as possible from the interior (the seats are already gone). I have 2 main concerns with the beginning of this.

1) I understand that our bus has a semi-monocoque design, so I'm not sure what to do about the inner skin.
2) I've read that the floor helps the bus to hold its shape. I haven't pulled the flooring to know what the plywood underneath looks like, but if it needs to be replaced, how do I go about that without compromising the structural integrity of the bus? My guess is a panel-by-panel approach, but I figured I would ask the experts.

I've seen some people passing around information about the history of their buses, so if anyone has info about good old #265, I'd love to hear it. Also, if anyone has suggestions or recommendations specific to 4107s, I obviously need all the help I can get.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I'm excited both about the new bus and becoming part of this great community (though I've already been lurking for a while).

TIA,
Joe

Joe W.
1966 PD-4107 #265
Toney, AL
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

Joe,

There are others here that are more qualified to answer your questions but I wanted to welcome you to the madness. You should be able to inspect most of the plywood floor from the underside. Just open any bay or compartment and look up. The GM buses are some of the easiest to work on. Unfortunately they were too expensive for GM to keep building them. I love the classic looks of the old stuff.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:13:43 AM »

Vanderbus.
  Joe,
      Welcome to the insane world of bus owners!  You've picked my favorite bus and will soon share the tremendous feelings of accomplishment having converted it "your way".  Regarding your questions, Structurally significant interior panels are riveted in, no screws or pop rivets.  You'll find these above and around the windows but under several layers of trim panels.  The flooring is asbestos laden, so when removing it wear a mask and keep the windows open.   Send me an 'off board email' so we can trade phone #s, I love to talk busses and my conversion is essentially done.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:16:06 AM »

Congratulations Joe!
I had a 4905 with lot's of issues.  Here are some things to look for. 

Look at the plywood floor from inside the baggage bay.  Are the torsion arms pulling the floor down?  Check the floor in front of the driver's seat.  Espeically under the side window. 

Look for bad cloth wiring in the electrical panel under the driver's side window.

Where is your Muffler located and what condition is it in?  Some were mounted behind the engine (toward the front of the bus) and when they go bad, they can melt the throttle cable, burn up airbags and catch the floor on fire.  Others were mounted between the engine and the radiator.

Have fun with the new bus!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »

Joe, you might also put your location in either your profile or, even better, in your signature.  You never know when there's another member nearby.  We're in Dallas, TX, with 4107-1180. 

You can also get the original GM delivery information (Final Vehicle Record) through Mike Ondecker at the Ohio Museum of Transportation (with a $25 donation).  Here's a link where it was discussed.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5416.0

Arthur
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:34:26 AM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Vanderbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »

Thanks, guys, for the welcomes and advice. I'm going to try to check out some of the things that you mentioned this afternoon (especially the muffler, thanks for the tip, Glenn). So, in case something goes horribly wrong  Wink, here's a photo of what she looks like right now (hopefully I did it right).

Joe W.
1966 PD-4107 #265
Toney, AL
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:16:37 AM »

PD-4107-265
From GMC to Rode Island Bus Corp. Providence,R.I. Fleet number 317.
04/1966.
She had a sister PD4107-264 that was bought at the same time from GMC to the same company it's fleet number was 316.
jlv Grin
gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »

I have all the 4107 manuals and parts book on PDF file if interested.

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »

Vanderbus;
 Where did you find this coach,it looks familiar!If it is the one I am thinking of,it has some unique history.
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Vanderbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »

4106, I would definitely be interested in a soft copy of the manuals. Thanks for the offer.

Bill, my friend bought it from Easter's Bus Sales in Bassett, VA. The story they told was that they bought it after a guy passed away and that it had been sitting for a while. Before that - at least, the paint on the side says - it was owned by Woodland Baptist Christian School in Winston-Salem, NC.

JLV, I see that you're from Palestine. My bus may be rolling through there around Memorial Day on the way to Buffalo, TX.

Joe W.
1966 PD-4107 #265
Toney, AL
Old4103

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

JLV, I see that you're from Palestine. My bus may be rolling through there around Memorial Day on the way to Buffalo, TX.

Joe,

you'll only be 42.7 miles away from us in Franklin! LOL

Dallas
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »

OK! When you get into Palestine,Texas I would like to see your Baby Buffalo.
Keep me posted on your trip west.
jlv
gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »

Vanderbus
Send me your address and I'll get it out to you.

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 05:32:49 PM »

Vanderbus;
 This bus belonged to a Detroit Diesel Mechanic who owned his own shop. He passed away several years ago,and Easters repaired or put another engine in it. I am thinking this bus was bought new by Piedmont Coach lines in Winston Salem,NC.It would have been unit#466. Does this one have a restroom(or did it orinally)?
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: