Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 03:25:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus shutting down  (Read 3733 times)
platinum mci

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »

Bus is a 1983 MCI 9  6v92ta.  Changed the oil in the bus yesterday everything worked great, started ran fine checked the oil good to go.    Today checked the oil its at the full mark started up ran for 20 seconds shut down,  bus does not have emergency shut down.  So i checked oil level everything good started back up and watched as it is building air pressure the shut down piston that is air operated is slowly extending and moving the shut down lever. Traced the air line to the fire wall were it connects to a valve. Is this valve the problem or something else?
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:51 AM »

Assuming that the valve on the firewall is a electric solenoid, disconnect it and see if the piston still extends.  If it does the valve needs attention.  You can also check and see if it is getting voltage to the solenoid when it should not.  Try rapping on it while the engine is running and see if the piston stops extending.  Good luck,John
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »

To keep the engine running while you check the shutdown system, take one bolt out of the piston housing and swing it away from the rack lever. 

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »

I have found that there is no power going to the solenoid valve  tracing the wires out I have also found out that the valve should have power when the master switch is on.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »

Yep, that's the culprit.  Now, look for the number stamp on the hot wire, and find it's match in the engine compartment electrical panel and see if you have power there.  If you or anyone else has the schematic, it or they can tell you which stud that wire attaches to and see if you have power there.  Repeat the procedure to the driver's electrical panel etc.  Good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »

Just a thought - make sure it is not the low coolant level switch that is causing the auto shutdown

platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:38:29 PM »

no power going to stud 53 and 54 on the rear panel as per the schematic, if any one else has the schematic any  advice would be great   was able to get the bus going by applying power to 53 so I could move it.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »

Do you have a mechanic's engine shut off switch in the engine compartments like on some GMCs?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »

no has a remote start for front and rear start. but no shut down switch
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »

Put your remote start switch back in the run position. Sounds like you left it in the stop position.

This could also be a fuel pressure switch, high temp, low coolant, or low oil pressure. I've had problems with the fuel pressure switch on mine. My friend had problems with high temp switches.  They all activate the safety shutdown.

Incidentally, if you hold the start button in, it should override the shutdown system and allow you to move. Of course that assumes your shutdown system is fully in tact.

craig
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:52:24 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »

These are two separate switches;

Start is a spring loaded switch which returns to No Start when released.

Run -- Stop is a two position switch which will stay in either position.

At least that is the system for a GMC.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »

I second gumpy,

Check the rear run switch first,   I found that one out the hard way Grin   But I knew right where to look because I had seen it here.

I had bumped mine, but it is freaky when the bus shuts off all of a sudden and sets off that panic mode Cheesy Shocked

Let us know

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »

I will recheck the remote switch's and try to  restart this morning.   There is a name plate on the dash that says this vehicle is not equipped with emergency shut down. I'm assuming that this means it does not have a shut down for low oil and high coolant temp, I'm I wrong?
Old4103

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:54 AM »

It means that there is no emergency shutdown flap in the air intake above the blower.

The emergency shut down is for runaway engine or other uncontrollable conditions ONLY.

The auto shut downs (low oil pressure, High Temp, Low Coolant) are a different system.

I will recheck the remote switch's and try to  restart this morning.   There is a name plate on the dash that says this vehicle is not equipped with emergency shut down. I'm assuming that this means it does not have a shut down for low oil and high coolant temp, I'm I wrong?
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:02:41 AM »

Wow thanks for the advice I feel stupid,  well In that case let the fun begin on finding this problem.  I will first go out there and check to make sure I didnt bump the remote switches.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: