Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long have you had your coach?  (Read 5033 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »

I'm coming up on my 9th anniversary of backing the Houston Metro Eagle 10 into my back yard.  I can hardly believe it has been that long.  My coach will be 25 soon.  I guess I can qualify for an "antique car" license in Texas after that date.  I am sitting here thinking how much I have enjoyed busing over the past 9 years.  This has been one of the most pleasurable toys I've owned.  Though it is sometimes expensive as  most toys are, my family has really liked travelling in the coach.  As they say, "if momma is happy, everyone is happy".  That makes justification so much easier.  I have redone a few things that I didn't really like the way I did it the first time and had a few appliances tank on me, but that is just personal taste change and house maintenance. 

I've really enjoyed the cyber relationships gained from this board and BNO, and enjoyed meeting many of you guys in person.  We've lost some great minds in nine years, (Richard Bowyer and others), but this is still the go to place to get conversion info.  I plan on keeping the coach 9 more years and beyond.  Hopefully, I'll still be writing and seeing you guys till the bus (or I) quit running.

David
Vanderbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »

5 days... Am I the newest newbie?

Joe W.
1966 PD-4107 #265
Toney, AL
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »

I bought our Eagle Nov. 2003 and haven't looked back! Time flies when you're having so much fun! Sure wish I had more years with it under my belt though. I'm with you David, it'll be with me until one of us leaves this earth. Cause you'll have to pry the steering wheel from my "Cold Dead Hands".

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

4 years, 4 months... and counting.  And like a good wine, it get's better with age!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »

We bought our MCI in Jan 2004 and worked on it for three years so last year was our first year to actually use it, We put about 3500 mile on last year and hope to do even more this year. Hopefully Fuel stays down so we can enjoy even more. Jason

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »

I will have had my coach for three years in less than a month.  I have enjoyed it, but would like to use it a bit more.

I am trying to convince the rocket guys to use it next month for a trip instead of jamming ourselves in three small cars with no leg room.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »

1st    4104  in   1983   25 years I still have the beauty.
2ND   4104  in    1996  12 years I still have the beauty.
3rd    4104  in   2006    3 years I still have  the beauty.
1st    MCI 9 in  2008    9 months still have  the beauty.

I just dont know how this happend, I got the trailways/greyhound bus bug 30 years ago.In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be a collector. When I purchased the first 04 my father in law and wife thought I had lost my marbles. I never asked them what they now think.
But they worked on the inside while I learned to work on the outside. If the truth were know they both have the bus nut bug.

John
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »

I bought mine on Sept 13, 2007 and I wish I were much further along with it but I'm plugging along!
It's hard going sometimes when it's a one man show with no helpers.

When we brought in home it stood out like an elephant along the side of the house having a 40' long bus in the driveway and that sits as high as the rain gutters on our little house but now we don't really notice it as much.....except when we look out any of the south facing windows of the house!  Grin

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »

I bought my bus in 1987. Been working on it ever since but LOVE it.

Richard
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »

Newbie here also. Just got mine last July. It may be a 37 year old bus but it's pampered now and once I hit my golden years I should have it just where I want it. We just campout and such with it for now but a trip to Daytona is in the plans for next winter. Right now I couldn't imagine full timing. I stumble over the wife as it is in a 2500 square foot house!!! Wink Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »

We have had our 1987 MCI 102A3 with an 8v92TA engine and 5 spd manual transmission for almost 1 month now. We have had the other RVs in the past and enjoyed them. BUT never could dream the ride of a bus could be so smoooooooth. I love air. This baby will last us on past our goden years. All the Best, Michael & Christi Hargis Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »

In May, I will have owned my 4104 for 9 years. Wow, the time really flies by, and she has added countless memories to our family's collection.  She truely has become a part of the family, and many of our friends have taken part in trips or day excursions as well.

What I find even more remarkable is the realization that this year is her 50th birthday!   In my driveway is a 1959 piece of machinery with well over a million miles on the chassis.... and she is looking back at me, willing and able to tackle the next million.  I tip my hat to the GMC engineers for their incredible work, and a machine that may well out live me.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

You should have attached this topic to a poll. I don't know if it's to late or just start it over. 3yrs for me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:10:27 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »

Bought my Eagle 20 in New Jersey in May 2001 and began the conversion in a rented warehouse. I did all of the dry in type work in that warehouse over the first 13 months. I worked 4 hours a couple of evenings each week and also 16 hours on most weekends. Was really handy being able to demo and then raise the roof and install the new floor and then just close the roll door and walk out without having exposure to the weather and so forth. Nice wind-free place to do all of my welding a painting too!

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

Bought mine for $4,000.00 (AMGeneral 10240B transit) in March of '93 in Kelso, Washington and left it there to have the bus mechanic change the wheel bearings from grease to oil, install Jakes, increase the injectors from N55 to brown tag N65's and to change the rear end from 5.59 to 4.56.  Brought it down in January of 1994 (exchanged a '79 GMC Astro with a silver 6V-92TA for the work done) and took off from work from March of 1994 till June of 1995 to work on it full time.  From 1995 till 2000, worked on it 3 months a year when I was off from cross country truck driving.  It has been done since January of 2000 and have averaged about 3,000 miles a year driving.
Now am starting on my '85 Kenworth cabover conversion.  Yesterday just pulled it out of our shop after having the frame stretched 4ft (from 235" wheelbase to 283" wheelbase).  It is at Pedco in Santa Fe Springs, Ca having the 13spd manual taken out to install the Allison HT740 four speed.  Was just informed today that my radiator is shot-need to go over to Atlas radiator tomorrow and see about that.  A new project is always fun. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: