Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 12:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tile vs Preformed Shower Pros? CONs?  (Read 5007 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »

I tried to use mirrors to increase my closet space.  It worked but the amount of clothing also doubled, so there was no net gain.  Anyway, tile is too heavy, less tolerant of flexing, and requires extra labor and maintenance.  But then, I generally lean to function over form.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »

Anyway, tile is too heavy, less tolerant of flexing, and requires extra labor and maintenance.  But then, I generally lean to function over form.

Have to disagree with most of that.... Weight is minor, when compared to the rest of the conversion. Hardibacker is something like 2 lbs per sq ft. Tile and grout don't add that much more.
Labor for installation can be just as simple or as complex as you desire and when compared to cutting and fitting a prefab fiberglass unit, it might be easier to custom fab than to fit. As stated above, you can build it to fit whatever space you need it to fit. Maintenance is also no more than a fiberglass unit, if properly installed. 

I installed Italian glass mosaic tiles in our custom shower enclosure. Been working great for 4 years now, and probably close to 30K miles. No maintenance necessary and it looks so much better than a prefab unit. Now if I can only get the rest of the interior to look as nice as the shower.

I would do it that way again, in a heartbeat!

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

Craig's shower does indeed look very nice.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

Michael,

After looking at, and considering my options I went with a 30" x 30" premade shower base with a tile upper and ceiling.

I  used a plywood backing with 1/4 backer board over that.

All of the tile was applied with Type 3 tile mastic and an admix was used with the grout.

The tile is actually floor tile of various sizes in the same color.

The only real drawback to the floor tile is that it was a class 5 (very hard surface) and I went through several diamind bits to cut the holes for the shower controls and head.

Because of where and how I wanted my shower to look, I don't believe any plastic enclosure would look as nice, in my personal situation.

Here a few pictures:

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »

Another view:

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 08:05:19 AM »

Gentlemen, Thank you all for the great insite. I was worried about the weight issue to start but, not so much now. We will be going with Tile and a 1/2 inch Dura-rock base. You guys showed some wonderful examples of your shower builds. Christi said " I like that one, I like that one, I like that one..." Now that we going with tile, the Boss is looking at styles. All the Best, M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »

I used 1/4" not the 1/2" (to save weight) backer board and have not had any issues at all.  I was originally going to put in glass and a glass door, but Gumpy suggested that I use a shower curtain for a while.  The benefits are more space, and the shower area dries faster.  The glass looks better, but I've been very happy with just a curtain.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: