Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 05:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cummins ISX for 1985 96A3  (Read 6216 times)
Tornadex

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »

Hi guys, I have just joined this forum, so I am still learning the ropes. I would ask your patience with me.

I am faced with a problem and could sure use some help with finding some options. Here is my dilemma: About two years ago I bought an MCI 96A3 with the original 6V92 Turbo. I have since commenced with the modifications to make it livable and have taken some trips, including one to Florida (I live in MI). While the engine starts amazingly well, it smokes nasty white smoke when I accelerate and until I have driven some 20+ Miles. I also feel like there is really no power. Going through the hills on I75 in TN sometimes I was crawling at 35Mph. I have had it inspected at a turbo shop in Detroit and they feel the turbo is fine. Then last year the left radiator blew up and I got stranded with the engine just shutting down in the middle of the road/intersection. I had the radiator fixed and driven the bus since, but the heat gauge is very close to the shut down temperature, on a hot day.
As my project progresses, my wife and I would like to take the travel options more seriously and we need to review the problem with the engine. So what are my options? I guess
a.) I could have an in-frame rebuild. What should that cost me? I still end up with just 270hp or so
b.) I have access to a 500hp Cummins ISX from 2001 with about a million miles. It comes with a ZF-Meritor 9-Speed Shift by Wire Transmission. The ISX is in running condition and the tranny is said to shift fine. My cost would be about 12K and I would get some other parts that I could use, like Alcoa rims and so on. How significant would be the exchange? Could I use the ZF Tranny? Any suggestions? Undecided
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »

Tornadex,
I wish I could help you.  I am curious about where you are in Michigan.  I'm in Lansing.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:17 AM »

Thanks for your response, I am near Auburn Hills, MI
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »

Hi Tornadex,

Welcome!

One of our members "Brian Diehl" did what you are asking about. Hopefully he will chime in here soon.
Here is his home page of the motor job
http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792_1/BusSection10.html

Good Luck
Nick-
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:54:18 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »

I read up on the conversion he did and found it very interesting. Actually that's what encouraged me to look at that option. I guess the difference is that this is an ISX, so it may be different with the mounting and space requirements. The question I have is also "do I want a 9-speed Transmission with paddle shift"?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:44 PM »

Tornadex, I would stay away from the Sureshift ZF you are talking about here that is a non synchronized tranny and give a lot of problems and are very expensive to repair the Freedom line ZF is not as bad.And 12g's is a little pricey for that setup with that many miles FWIW  good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

The 12K is for a complete truck with many other goodies that I could use. Problem is, if the engine checks out bad, it would cost an arm and a leg to resuscitate. Buying it at that price would already cause me to limp, so I want to stay in a realistic proportion. Not sure if the tires and wheels from a Freightliner would fit onto my MCI - Jorg
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »

Couple of problems with that setup.  One is the length of the Cummins ISX-the only way I would think it would work would be to swap an Eagle rear end with a drop box on the drive axle to accomodate the length.  Two is the height of the engine-you'll most likely have to poke up into the bed area to maintain some kind of ground clearance.  And three is the extra weight.  The ISX weighs in at around 2,800lb compared to the 6V-92TA at 2,050lbs.  Then there is the manufacturing of the engine mounts, transmission mounts, getting the transmission to work with the engine properly (here at Freightliner, we don't even offer the Meritor transmissions [specifically the ZF because of cost] anymore), installing the air to air intercooler that the ISX uses.  Personally, I would stick with the 6V-92TA.  Have it rebuilt with up to date equipment using 9G90 injectors for 340hp at 1050lb/ft torque, make sure the aftercooler is cleaned and you have the bypass valve on the blower.  Also, you can up grade your radiators to further accomodate the higher horsepower.  The overhaul of your 6V-92TA should cost about the same as the $12,000.00 you're looking at the truck.  The thing with an engine change over, there are multitudes of costs that are not evident until you dip into the project.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

TomC, thank you so much for your information. This is good wisdom and I was hoping you would come online, because I value your input. Any thoughts on the smoking? Could the engine be done in-frame? There is a place here that would charge about $4,500 for the work plus the parts. What other engine options could I look out for, if I wanted more power? How would I know if my 6V92 is a TA? Is there some way to get more power from the 6V92?

regards,
Jorg
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »

Tornadex
Welcome i am in the Saginaw/Caro area of Michigan

I think the TA  part is turbo but I am not the best person with this stuff.
How sure are you the engine is bad. I have smoke for a few miles after a long winter
Some say you can add a air scoop to give better speed in the mountains but i do think
It was for out west.  The big hills will slow you down with most buses i think.
Happy Trails

1976 4905
harpold700 3

72 mc7 8-71 stick

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

TA  is the abbreviation for "turbo aftercooled"
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

TA - Turbo Aftercooled - Why didn't I think of that. The smoking is every time the engine is cold, even if it has run the day before. Someone said that it may be coolant in the combustion process. That would explain why it is heating up more. But there is no water in the oil and I haven't seen any oil in the coolant. The power issue is just so frustrating when other buses or trucks with 80,000lb loads whizz (sound of turbo) by as if I am standing still.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

Jorg, how much HP are you looking for Don Fairchild can turn out 625 hp from the 6v92 but keeping it cool is the problem.I have a couple of friends that run their 6v92 in the 425 hp range in the Eagle which easier to cool than the MCI   good luck
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:57:35 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »

There have been some city buses on Ebay that have series 50 with world b500 transmission.  One didn't get a bid for 7,500 and another for under 5,000.  That would give you all you need and fit.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
harpold700 3

72 mc7 8-71 stick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:05:23 PM »

Your smoke is blow by from idling. Oil gets by rings and slobbers into your air box. When you get out on the road and under full pressure all your slobbered oil goes back into combustion chamber and it smokes till it gets up to temp and cleans itself out. Inframe is great way to go, as previously mentioned up grade injectors for more power and economy. Good Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: