Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:53:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cummins ISX for 1985 96A3  (Read 6193 times)
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »

I Tornadex...Welcome...good to see someone very close to home...Clawson. Retired from GM Tech. I now live in SC.

About getting engine back to normal power or more. It be wise to have a DD evaluate your engine before the real talk begin.

Keep us posted of you project.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

Sojourner, good to hear from you. "I believe" we share some common interests. It would be great to meet some day - and some day we will. I look forward to that.

Stay blessed.

TOR
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »

Tor, look under general chat posted by Boomer  good luck

I don't have access with the Eagles. Luvurbus, could you ask Boomer for a contact number or email. I am interested.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »

Tor, I asked for a contact number for you fwiw that is a public board only one section is for Eagle members only sign up and go for it        good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »

Tor, I asked for a contact number for you fwiw that is a public board only one section is for Eagle members only sign up and go for it        good luck
OK I think I found it on ebay, too. Dan - I believe - has split the engine and the tranny apart for separate auctions. I will do some more research and will keep an eye on it. There is a contact number there. Thanks again.

TOR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »

Tor, here is the info  ABC Bus Co. in Minnesota  1-800-222-2875 Bert at XT 301457 came from a Blue Bird.If you need a Eaton Auto shift there are some for sale on the Eagle board also.

good luck
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:55:02 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »

Hey,

I would strongly reconsider on the ISX.  The motor is huge and weighs much more than an ISM.  I had it memorized at sometime, but have forgotten.  Also,  you didn't mention anything about the ISX being rebuilt, so I will assume it hasn't.  The motor is worn out.  1 million miles on an ISX is good mileage and there won't be much left for you to use before an overhaul is needed.  Also, the price is pretty expensive.  I bought the entire front clip of the truck I used for $7750.  This included everything I needed.  Personally, a 400hp ISM is plenty of power and plenty energy efficient.  I get 9mpg with my setup and consider that great for a MCI 96A3.  If you have any questions after going through my website feel free to email me.

BTW, I have over 10,000 miles on my swap and have no regrets!

-Brian

http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792_1/BusSection10.html

blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

blue_goose...thank you sharing a DD 50 series swap photo.

Do you have more in regard to air-cooler, muffler and clearance on top of valve cover?

Is the crank-center line same as 6 or 8v92?

Thank you, Gerald

Cool picture, looks very neat!
TOR

Send me your email address and I will send more, too hard to send lots here.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »

This was on ebay and ended Feb 3, 2009 with no bids.  There was no reserve on the listing.
It may still be for sale, phone number is in add.
Jack

THIS IS A 1994 GILLIG 40FT BUS, VIN NUMBER IS 15GCD2011R1085453.  THE  BUS HAS A 50 SERIES DETROIT DEISEL WITH A FIVE SPEED ALLISON AUTOMATIC.  THE MILES ARE SHOWING 44489, I'M SURE THAT IS NOT ACTUAL.  THE BUS STARTS RIGHT UP AND RUNS DOWN THE ROAD GOOD.  IT SHIFTS GOOD.  EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE BUS ALL THE ELECTRICAL WORKS AND THE BRAKES ARE GOOD.  IT HAS A WABATSO HEATER IN IT THAT ALSO WORKS GOOD.  THE FRONT TIRES ARE ABOUT 1/4 TREAD AND THE BACK ONES ARE LESS AND WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED, WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE IT FROM A TO B.  THE HEAT WORKS GOOD IN THE BUS,  NOT SURE IF THE AIR CONDITIONING WORKS BECAUSE IT IS COLD HERE, BUT EVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP AND APPEARS TO BE IN WORKING CONDITION.  THE BUS DOES NOT HAVE ANY BLOW BY OR OIL LEAKS.  THERE IS A LITTLE COROSION AROUND THE WHEEL WELLS, BUT IT IS VERY MINOR. ALL OF THE GLASS IS GOOD IN THE BUS. IT HAS LED LIGHTS IN THE BACK.   HOLLANDALE IS LOCATED BETWEEN AUSTIN AND ALBERT LEA, OR 80 MILES SOUTH OF MINNEAPOLIS.  IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE WAY THE BUS RUNS AND DRIVES YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE THE BUS AND YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED.  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL DJ @ 507-438-1038.

The starting bid was $ 3750.00 I think

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:58:46 AM by blue_goose » Logged

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 04:27:06 AM »

Hey,

I would strongly reconsider on the ISX.  The motor is huge and weighs much more than an ISM.  I had it memorized at sometime, but have forgotten.  Also,  you didn't mention anything about the ISX being rebuilt, so I will assume it hasn't.  The motor is worn out.  1 million miles on an ISX is good mileage and there won't be much left for you to use before an overhaul is needed.  Also, the price is pretty expensive.  I bought the entire front clip of the truck I used for $7750.  This included everything I needed.  Personally, a 400hp ISM is plenty of power and plenty energy efficient.  I get 9mpg with my setup and consider that great for a MCI 96A3.  If you have any questions after going through my website feel free to email me.

BTW, I have over 10,000 miles on my swap and have no regrets!

-Brian

http://http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792_1/BusSection10.html

The exciting paragraph I like in Brian's project report was this:
Of course, after all that I had a hard time going to sleep last night.  What an exciting day after all that hard work to have it run the way it is supposed to.  Those Jake Brakes are cool too! 

Now, due to so many shifts before 20mph it is a little slow off the line.  Each shift is fast, but there are still a lot of shifts.  Get it up into 6th and higher and put the foot into the throttle and you can really feel the engine come alive.  Wow, does it accelerate fast!  I can't believe how different that 4-stroke behaves from the old 6v92.  It sounds different, accelerates like nothing I've ever experienced and cruises along at 1200 rpms!  The one time I had high range without problems I hit 43 mph and the tranny was running in 9th gear with the engine loping along at 1200rpms.  It was not lugging at all and when I put my foot into it just a little you could feel the jolt in the backside as it poured on the power.  Gotta get that high range valve working right so I can get on the freeway and see how it handles the hills!

Brian...thank you for the very informative project report about swapping with low-profile design ISM engine.

Th Lord willing...that Sojourner will have a state-of-art engine put in soon after I get it home from FL to SC.

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 04:38:55 AM »

blue_goose...thank you sharing a DD 50 series swap photo.

Do you have more in regard to air-cooler, muffler and clearance on top of valve cover?

Is the crank-center line same as 6 or 8v92?

Thank you, Gerald

Cool picture, looks very neat!
TOR

Send me your email address and I will send more, too hard to send lots here.
Jack

Jack (blue_goose)...I know now you have done a few swap engines. That is great! Your photos are very helpful to see how DD 50 series work in MCI and Eagle. Nice job.

Thank you so much.

Hope it help Tornadex to deside which way it fit in his plan.

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:48 AM »

The ISM should out preform a 6v92 you are talking about 8.5 litre 6v92 to 11 litre ISM which is closer to the 8v92 that would be like comparing the ISM to 14 litre 60 series .I have thought about a engine swap at one time I even had a new C-15 Cat crate engine for my Eagle but decided against.I have a 8v92 and get good fuel mileage and can keep up with 4 strokes in the 500hp range with no problems.Cole's 625 hp series 60 in his Eagle is a different story I have trouble hanging with him in the mountains.The math doesn't work for me spending big bucks for engine conversions and your bus doesn't gain anything in value and in today's market they are worth very little no matter what engine you have.  Good luck
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:25:14 AM by luvrbus » Logged

RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 06:19:46 AM »

Welcome Tornadex,

There was a Holiday Sceptre RV on ebay a month ago with a ISM and a Allison 3060 with around 15k miles and he had no bids at 5K for the entire rig. There was a fire in the middle of the coach and he wasn't sure if the harnesses for the motor and tranny survived. I did some checking and if they are gone and you can't find them used somewhere, you are looking at around $2500 -3000 for the new harnesses.
The coach had an inverter and batteries all the gauges and he had a mechanic there who would help you remove what you need/want off the coach. It was at a junkyard so you can just leave what you don't want. Had low mile tires and other things which you could resell.

Keep in mind, there are alot of issues involved in a repower, rear end gears, metal fabrication etc.. so make a wise decision.

If you are not well versed in fabrication (welding,well equipped shop etc.) make sure you take ALL those hours into consideration. I labored over that decision and with Brian Diehl's sound input I came to the conclusion that I will delay any decisions until the day comes that I need to make one, In other words until my current engine,which runs great by the way, decides to either blow up or needs so much work that it makes no sense to continue without considering a repower I will stick with what I have. Brian has been so helpful at identifying the difference between a want or a need. If you add up the actual moments you spend on long 7-8% grades getting passed by those guys who do this professionally (and to them time is money!) and consider that the whole reason for having these buses is to stop and smell the roses once in a while and enjoy our drives you might find as I did that it is not worth the trouble and money unless you have to make a decision. I'm sure Brian would not have done any of this if his 6v92 hadn't started putting coolant in places it shouldn't be.
But if you have a serious savings account balance and a really good 2 stroke mechanic nearby you might find that it is worth all the effort/money. Good luck on your decision.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »

Engines that are really too big for engine swap outs- Cummins N14, ISX; Caterpillar 3406, C15, C16; Detroit Series 50 (because of height), Series 60, DD15; Volvo D16.  More of the size for both ease of installation and servicing- Cummins ISM, ISL; Caterpillar C9, C12; Detroit (Mercedes-Benz) Series 4000, Volvo D13.  All of the smaller engines will get at least 450hp and 1550lb/ft torque with the exception of the C9 and ISL that are in the 400hp and 1200lb/ft arena.  Even the smaller "medium" sized engines will get around 500,000miles before overhaul.  For what we do with our buses (being tourists), you don't need the bulk, size and weight of a full sized 1million mile rated truck engine to get the job done.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: