Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 03:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome Wheel Liners or Aluminum Wheels for TMC / MCI Bus  (Read 2581 times)
Tornadex

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »

Some of you have read about my engine issue and have been of great help. Now I have another question. I would like to dress up my wheels a little. The existing rims (steel) were painted about a hundred times and I would love to have something more shiny. Does anyone have any good ideas about aluminum wheels (ie. ALCOA) or chrome liners. What would I expect to pay for them and where could I get some. As always your help is appreciated.

Tor
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:19 PM »

Tor, does you 96A have hub pilot wheels or stud pilot I have saw them with both types.I getting ready to remove my stud pilot 22.5 8.25 wheels and going to a 9 inch wheel for the 315/80 tires  good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:24:55 AM »

Hub King stainless steel wheel liners are one choice. Alcoa's are nice but they can be very expensive unless you find some real good used ones. But they will need to be rated for your axle ratings, you might also have to change the studs if they are too short for the Alcoa's because they are thicker than the steel wheels. I bought the stainless steel inserts with the hub covers and lug nut covers etc and it looks great, covered up the old painted wheels. Dura Brites are really great, easy to clean but $$$$$. You could also just get your wheels sand blasted and repainted and just dress them up with the stainless hub covers and lug nut covers. Paint them any color you want. Good Luck.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Tornadex

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

Hub King stainless steel wheel liners are one choice. Alcoa's are nice but they can be very expensive unless you find some real good used ones. But they will need to be rated for your axle ratings, you might also have to change the studs if they are too short for the Alcoa's because they are thicker than the steel wheels. I bought the stainless steel inserts with the hub covers and lug nut covers etc and it looks great, covered up the old painted wheels. Dura Brites are really great, easy to clean but $$$$$. You could also just get your wheels sand blasted and repainted and just dress them up with the stainless hub covers and lug nut covers. Paint them any color you want. Good Luck.
I will look into that. Thank you for the tip. I really don't want to spend a huge amount of money but I want the difference in look!
Appreciate your input.

TOR
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

I think when I looked into covers last year, it was between 6 and 8 hundred for 3 axles. I want to say it was around 460ish for the front and drive and another 2 for the tag. I dont remember if that was for lug covers also...fwiw/ymmv

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »

Not something I have ever looked into, but how about chrome plating your wheels?  Even buy new steel wheels and have them plated.  I have no idea of the cost but new steel wheels are pretty cheap.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »

Powder coated chrome wheels hold up better than the chrome plated I have a friend that done this because of his chrome plated wheels always had rust spots.   good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »

I love the looks of the aluminum wheels but they generally require longer studs which can add up to a lot more $$$. Price wise the stainless steel simulators are probably the way to go and require a lot less maintanance than the alum wheels to keep clean plus the steel wheels with the simulators are more durable and forgiving of curbs!  Remember the word stainless steel when looking for simulators. Avoid chrome plated. It lasts for awhile but eventually begins to rust. But it's really hard to beat the look of aluminum wheels on a bus!!! Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »

I got used alcoa's from a place called Fleetwheel they machine polish and they look like new wheels at about half the cost. I payed $220.00 a piece + shipping, I also had to replace my studs with longer one's which wasn't cheap but they sure look nice. Jason

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: