Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
September 19, 2017, 05:17:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rebuilding shutoof and hi-idle solenoid... need input  (Read 1075 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »

Hey folks,

Anybody know do I need a special tool to replace the cup on one of these??  Also, what are the clearances of the piston in the sleeve? Is it supposed to be a tight fit?? There is no groove for an o-ring so I am at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »

Anybody got any info for me??

Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:52:49 AM »

A  photo or 2 will help get to the point...before posting more confusion from the supporters.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 07:03:48 AM »

Rick, on page 2 of this board  MrBill 4108 posted a picture of both cylinders with the breakdown for Fredward.Sorry I can not help but I don't use that type I have the all-in-one that uses no skinner valve 

good luck
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:07:53 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Mrbill4108

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

If this is what you are rebuilding then you will not need any special tools.
I got my rebuild parts from Mohawk.

79 GMC 4108A
S/N 228
Florida Space Coast
RickB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:07 PM »

Well, it turned out the piston shaft and the brass collar were worn out too so I spent over $100 rebuilding the high idle and fuel shutoff air cylinders.

I am getting far too used to spending money lately..

New larger radiators (arrive on Friday yippee!!, blower gearbox seals and speedee shaft collars, radiator mounts, squirrel cage scrolls and seals, smaller blower drive pulley, all new seals around the radiators, new bushings for the gearbox saddle mount assembly, two new shorter blower drive belts, new air filter, vacuum gauge and all new bolts and nuts to put it back together with. I have spent the GDP of guatemala on this rolling family vacation site and it is really starting to hurt the whole "we save alot of money on plane flights, food and hotels" justification discussions with wifey.

Mr Bill, that was not the part I was working on, these parts are actually located on the governor housing itself. I'm not sure but I think they're the air cylinder/piston assembly that the part you rebuilt supplies air to.

Thanks for the input and let's hope Spring is not a thing of the past...

Rick

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: