Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 05:20:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the process for oil analysis?  (Read 1086 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:33:03 AM »

I want to have an oil analysis on the engine that I'm contemplating purchacing, but I've never done the oil analysis thing before. Where do you buy the kit and how do I take the sample? How much oil and where does it have to come from on the engine? How long does it take for the results of the test?  Thanks as always

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »

Any major Engine Distributor or dealer can sell you the program, Chuck.  They furnish the containers and the pump and advise you how to take the sample.  You mail it in, it's approved by the USPS...and wait for the report which they will mail to your home of office.

Ususally it's not a one shot deal...they want you for a specific period of time..to be determined by the contract.

Otherwise a one time sample could get expensive.

My opinion?  If you were working in a lab which ran 1000's of samples through every month and it was a same old s--- every day....how enthusiastic could you get if you found a bit more copper than usual in the sample?  Not likely.  In today's world...if I were to give the lab a rating of 1-10 for being conscientious...I'd be conservative...like Simon...and give 'em a 5.

But then...I'm the eternal cynic! Cool

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Torquester

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 03:01:27 PM »

From what I've seen....about a two ounce sample taken at the oil change interval from a hot engine. Without historical data taken over time fairly useless.

hth, Tq

Torquester
1974 Silver Eagle, 3406 Caterpillar, South Dakota
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 03:29:19 PM »

What I was thinking is that I could find out if there is coolant any in the oil. Can they tell that with one sample? I wasn't thinking so much as bearing particles and such. The engine that I'm considering is in a bus so that it can be started and ran. Without an oil analysis, what else can I check beside the obvious smoke & Knock stuff...its a 6V92. thanks

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:17:22 PM »

ChuckMC8, you can buy an oil analysis kit from Napa.  It's a very basic test but it'll give you the info you're looking for.  For more detail, your local John Deere dealer can get you a kit.  Costs about $75 from Deere, but the report is six pages long!

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: