Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short time running of a diesel ??  (Read 1130 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »

Ive read the debate as to if its good or not good to run an engine without driving it, as in starting it, letting it idle /high idle. But I havent read what the bad is that it does to an engine. I was thinking about this the other day as we were pulling one of the fire engines out on work night. Every week, the truck gets started, pulled outside and turned off. After its checked out, around 40 min, its started and backed in and shut off. This routine gets repeated umpteen times ever since I can remember. Any opinions ? Sorry if this was all ready answered..I searched but couldn't find an answer.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:26:05 PM »

Running the engine for that short a time produces condinsation in the oil(WATER), it takes a good running hard load over time to "burn off" the water only to be repeated at next start- up and shut -down.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
gus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »

You didn't say if it makes fire runs or how often. If it is often those check starts and stops don't matter.

If it is a pumper those fire runs can involve some serious engine use and heavy engine loads.

The overall use situation is what counts.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »

Diesels don't get muked up like gasoline engines do.  If you can't build a fire and run it hard when starting it, I believe it is better just not to start it.  My bus hasn't been started since January, and I know it will start right up when we leave in a couple of weeks for the Albuquerque RV get together by Camping World.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »

We had policy in place to keep the reserve apparatus on trickle chargers, plus running them around the first due district for about one hour every month.  One of the FF's had the responsiblity to keep them inspected, serviced and stuff.

Other than that, they just sat on the apparatus floor gathering dust, which was also the FF's job to keep them clean.  During the monthly run around, we ran the pumps or the arial ladder and generally exercised them up to normal temps and stuff.

I understand the newer rigs have idle time 5 minute shut downs programmed into the powerplants.  When that happens, automatic load shedding also kills all the lights, radios and stuff.  Pain in the butt fur sures.

Setting the electronic hi-idle to help cope with the alternator(s) strain doesn't actually address the ongoing problem is excessive idle time.  The shop mechanics are aware of this and are trying to educate the new guys.

Problem is, in the fire service, excessive idle time kinda comes with the job.  Hard on the apparatus.  Because of this, the lube oil gets examined quite frequently and changed as needed.  Expensive.   HB of CJ (retired fire service)

excessive idle Post
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

One would want to run some fuel through the injection pumps and/or injectors from time to time to prevent corrosion. Acidifing the lube oil is another issue--which would require running under load.

I high idle (a four-stroke) about once a month to operating temp.. I should have the oil checked (or finish conversion and drive it!).

Fuel injectors off the engine are stored with a special oil, not diesel, in them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: