Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you using for a furnace?  (Read 879 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

That would get your attention @ over 6 bucks a gal Dave  ::)it will vary here up to 4+ bucks at the rv parks and the exchange rip off deals but I am cheap I deal with one guy

Life is short drink the good wine first
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »

Interesting tidbit I just found while seeing how much propane is in a bbq tank.:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/als-morning-meeting/96618/how-much-propane-is-really-in-your-20-pound-grill-tank/

Also, how many pounds does a gallon of propane weigh?:

http://www.ask.com/question/how-much-does-one-gallon-of-propane-weigh
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:52:15 PM by chessie4905 » Logged

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »

Wow according to that chart I'm getting soaked!  But I imagine delivery is part of the cost.  That was for my range at the house, they do give you a discount if it is used for heat whoo hoo!!

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »

Oil filled electric heater so convection distribution of the heat and no fan.  They work well if you want a constant steady heat, not well if you need to warm up a space fast.  I use a Suburban 35K propane unit that I installed in the basement (rear luggage bay).  I made up a cold air return duct so it doesn't pull in air from the bay, only from the house, and I have three ducted heat outlets.  The space in the bay was wasted anyway, it's beside my fresh water tank.  I like it because it heats up the house fast as heck even if it's below freezing, but it uses a lot of propane and battery.  Plus it was free.

Thanks bevans6:  I really like the idea of installing it, or them in the bay.  I would be interested to see how you worked out your ducting and venting.  Did you just vent out the back wall by the rear axle?  I can envision doing that and using some sort of flexible ducting to tap into the bus's duct work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:34:27 PM by mike802 » Logged

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
opus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »

Webasto, but I would never run it on batteries.  I have an Iota 75a power supply that I run it with when we're parked.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »

My store bought coach has the Aqua Hot Diesel Fired hot water baseboard system that uses 4 adjustable thermostats, front, bath, bedroom and basement.  Basement has a fan that moves air through out the basement.  Also can heat the 500 hp Cummins and the Cummins heats the Aqua Hot while driving, not needing the burner.

Not the cheapest to own, but reasonable considering how sweet it is.  I have it serviced annually by a factory service rep. Runs about $250.00 if normal parts used, had it completely rebuilt back to new 2 yrs ago, about $1,200.00.  Included new motor, pump, bearings in gearbox, etc, etc.
After the LP Gas hot air units that worked fine but little noisey, the Aqua Hot is a happy unit with .33 gph fuel burn when burner is going.  They claim about 3 gal per day max.
Hell, who cares, I am comfy.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
mike802

1983 MCI MC9

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »

Dave:  It sounds like a real sweet system, do you have to use any anti freeze in it?  the hot water base board system we have in our house was freezing up on us in a few spots so we had to have anti freeze put in the lines, works good, but is very corrosive on the brass fittings.

Mike
1983 MCI MC9
Vermont
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »

Diesel fired systems (like AquaHot) sound good on paper and do run nicely when they work. BUT-they require lots of maintenance and can break down.
How much maintenance did I do for the 18 years my first propane furnace lasted-ZERO. Then I replaced the whole furnace for less than $700.00. And since I've replaced the furnace 3 years ago-how much maintenance have I again done on the furnace-ZERO. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 03:57:22 AM »

Mike,  
The system uses the same  ELC antifreeze as the Cummins ISM500 and the 12 kw with the Kubota 4 cylinder diesel.

No denying the Aqua Hot is not cheap, but is the best for me.  Do not have an issue with reliability, just keep up with the PM needs.

I like the warm comfy thing, cost is not the big consideration.

Dave M
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 05:44:53 AM by wg4t50 » Logged

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Lostranger
Jim in NC

Gillig Low Floor

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:27:33 AM »

Here's an option most bus converters never consider, but it's worked on boats for generations:

http://www.marinestove.com/codinfo.htm

I realize that wood heat is not for everyone, but it works for us. We full time in a 40' Gillig H2000LF. Our stove is custom built steel, but we used a cast iron Little Cod for inspiration. About the same size fire box. Ours is more air tight. More on our installation can be found at this thread: http://www.nomadicista.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2541&sid=47aa98a0c7f390eafe9ee59c7c15dc95

Propane works for us in some areas. Our Rheem tankless water heater is wonderful, and we would not consider cooking any way other than gas. Our Maytag Neptune dryer is propane, of course, but we seldom use it.

Propane does not work for us as a heat source. Forced air furnace fans would suck too much of our off-grid electric power, and radiant heaters are like giving the interior a constant water spray. Seriously considered going radiant floor heat with diesel or propane fired boiler, but energy use and maintenance issues held us back.

Even though we love our tiny wood stove, this winter we're also planning to use the ThermoKing Tripac auxiliary power unit I'm currently refurbishing. Not only available for supplemental heat in the back 1/3 of the bus (bed/bath/laundry), it will also keep the battery bank charged while it's running. By the time warm weather comes around, maybe I'll have the mechanical AC feature of the APU installed in our bed room. All from a tiny, two-cylinder Yanmar rated at 13.7 HP.

Our primary heat, however, will continue to be a wood stove.

Jim

P.S. I'm amused when people say they have an "all electric" coach. Almost without exception that means: "I have an enormous, diesel-fired generator in the belly of the beast." Nothing wrong with that approach if it works for you, but it's far from being "all electric."

The Lost Ranger
"Who was that masked man?"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:59:57 AM »

There is no free lunch for any type heat if you want to be comfy,the Aqua Hot is a good system if you have 10 grand to spend ,we have this friend with one he sits around with a coat on in the winter in his bus because he doesn't like buying the 5 or 6 gals of fuel a day to stay comfortable using the Aqua Hot. His wife hates the system because she thinks it is the systems fault why spend that kinda of money for a system and defeat the purpose ? 2 things with me I am going to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer 

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Today at 12:30:22 PM »

2 things with me I am going to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer 

me too.... Grin
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Today at 04:57:27 PM »

Heater installation safety concerns if any?  Is your selected propane space heater ducted?  What I mean; is there a way to install the thing so it is not directly underneath a bunk?  Kinda thinking having a very hot heat source directly under somebody sleeping.

Sometimes practical engineering hits the wall of reality.  My old Crown Supercoach had only a few safe places to mount hot potentially dangerous stuff and none of them were ideal.  But...the old girl only got to the final design stage.  HB of CJ (old coot)

Also I was consumed with the notion of having the Bus Conversion balance out nearly exactly front to back and side to side.  This also entered into stuffs location.  Anyhow many factors are always butting heads trying to do it correctly....or safely. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: