Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
September 27, 2016, 12:24:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction and Full Timing  (Read 270 times)
Dreadnought
"HMS Dreadnought"- 1964 MCI MC5

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »

I'm a proud owner of a 1964 MCi MC5. Have owned it since 2012

I've had it with the stress of work and all the micromanaging of an inept controlling boss.
Me and my employer came to the 'mutual decision' for us to go our separate ways. They made it worth my while...
The hypertension amongst other things led me to have a heart attack too. This has made me more determined not to settle and go back in some non challenging job/rat race.

The jobs at the level and experience I'm looking for are hard to come by so I've made the decision to sell my property on 9 acres and go Full timing in HMS Dreadnought for a while until the right opportunity avails itself. I interviewed in Detroit last week and in California just before that, but these opportunities take a while. I WILL NOT settle.

I've started clearing out my stuff and selling off many of my fleet. First to go was the old Benz, now I'm thinking of getting rid of the Caddy. If I can fix her up- I will sell my 71 Jaguar XJ6 (with only 16,000 miles)- but likely to get more money in Europe for that. All the extra earnings will help me!

Most importantly- need to get the MCI- ship shape.

I've ordered new Steer tyres for the fronts- went with Hankook AH12 11Rx22.5.

I'll then take a look at the rears.

I was going to change the water pump and fuel pump- but my mechanic calmed me down. Said not to bother with the fuel pump- that on the 8v71 they are pretty robust and just look to see if the water pump is leaking through the weep holes.

I will check all the fuel lines and change all the coolant hoses.

The bus runs very well, airbags pump up quickly and hold air for several hours. No smoke even on start up.

The clutch is out of adjustment so I think I will get a new clutch fitted- this is an engine out job.
I will craw under the bus and grease as many grease fitting as I can.

The fan belt is flapping about- I was trying to retension it- but the bolts and springs are rusty. When the engine is out, Ill look at it then.

In addition I will

•Check for weather cracks in all the air bags. Is there a benefit 'upgrading' to the later rolling lobe' style arrangement?
•Check my power steering hoses for flexibility. If they are hard and seem to crack when I move them, I will replace.
•I need to get the mechanic to go over all the brakes and brake chambers. He did this about two years ago and the rigs been in storage since.

I'm open to other things to check.

Thanks

Live Fast, Live Well, Live Free
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:07:36 PM »

I need to get the mechanic to go over all the brakes and brake chambers. He did this about two years ago and the rigs been in storage since.

then they should be fine Smiley

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:26:14 AM »

Welcome! Gates green stripe hose is a quality hose to use. Goodyear makes an equiv. Always carry spare fuel filters.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:30:38 AM »

Welcome to the bus nut world.

What kind of bus is Dreadnought? I seem to vaguely remember you mentioned an MC5 in another thread...

If the clutch is out of adjustment, you can adjust it. You don't have to replace it.

You should do a little signature like most of us with a description of your bus and your location. That would be helpful in helping you.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Dreadnought

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:45:18 AM »

Welcome to the bus nut world.

What kind of bus is Dreadnought? I seem to vaguely remember you mentioned an MC5 in another thread...

If the clutch is out of adjustment, you can adjust it. You don't have to replace it.

You should do a little signature like most of us with a description of your bus and your location. That would be helpful in helping you.

JC

HMS Dreadnought is a 1964 MCI MC5. in 2013- I drove the bus from Chicago to MN, and the clutch slip got worse and worse until the bus didn't move and just slipped. I had it towed to my current mechanic. He taught me about adjusting it (and had I known this - it would have saved me a hefty tow bill at the time). Unfortunately - when I check the adjuster knob NOW its reached the end of adjustment. Hence I know it needs a new clutch now. It doesn't have a tag axle and utilises a drop box so unfortunately is an engine out job. I may get more powerful 7e65 injectors while I'm at it

Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:50:37 AM »

Those injectors are not "more powerfull" but they WILL drink more fuel.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Dreadnought

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:53:00 AM »

Those injectors are not "more powerfull" but they WILL drink more fuel.>>>Dan

So are you saying that when you fit those injectors the engine will produce no more power?

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:56:09 AM »

Pulling the engine is not that big a job once you get into it. It can be done in a day. Once it is out, you will have the  opportunity to fix a lot of little things like oil leaks, etc. And clean up the engine bay. And paint the engine with your choice of color. Half the fun of owning a bus is fixing/maintaining it. It makes travelling more reliable and enjoyable.

JC

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Dreadnought

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 07:59:18 AM »

Pulling the engine is not that big a job once you get into it. It can be done in a day. Once it is out, you will have the  opportunity to fix a lot of little things like oil leaks, etc. And clean up the engine bay. And paint the engine with your choice of color. Half the fun of owning a bus is fixing/maintaining it. It makes travelling more reliable and enjoyable.

JC

I agree and it was on my list of things to do for a while. Two flies in the ointment:

I had a heart attack last week and am taking it easy, and I need to get the rear end of my Jag XJR (my toad) ready, need to get the coolant leak on my 71 XJ6 sorted and the engine on my 70 challenger partially assembled and also sell this house!

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:12:35 AM »

Dreadnot  Wink, make sure your mechanic knows that, along with changing injector sizes, the turbo has to match, the inj. timing has to be right, and watch heat rejection. The stock cooling system can only handle so much. If you don't already have the Detroit Diesel V71 service manual, get one.

Also, what differential ratio do you have? It is 4.11, 3.73 or 3.36 to 1.

JC

You need some rest after a heart attack... The bus can wait. Just do research about it for a while...

JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Dreadnought

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:56:14 AM »

Dreadnot  Wink, make sure your mechanic knows that, along with changing injector sizes, the turbo has to match, the inj. timing has to be right, and watch heat rejection. The stock cooling system can only handle so much. If you don't already have the Detroit Diesel V71 service manual, get one.

Also, what differential ratio do you have? It is 4.11, 3.73 or 3.36 to 1.

JC

You need some rest after a heart attack... The bus can wait. Just do research about it for a while...
I have the service manual.

My mechanic knows the Detroit diesels very well. He's taught me a lot.

I believe I have the 3.36:1. I am trying to rest, but I want to leave this frozen state. There's absolutely NOTHING for me here now and I want to sell up and pocket the cash. I was head hunted and moved here for my job. This house is an albatross around my neck  that's draining my funds!

Currently the engine isn't a Turbo, just an 8v71. I know about the requirement to shift the valvetiming (1.460 clearance is it?).

DoubleEagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:57:48 AM »

Too many changes in a short period of time lead to stress, which lead to where you are at. Slow it down a notch, focus on one project at a time, and shorten your project list. Live long, then prosper.

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 spd Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, HT740
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: