Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
August 20, 2017, 02:59:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power on the 6v92 , long grades playing tricks on me.  (Read 266 times)
neoneddy

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »

So what got me thinking about this was my experience today.

We're coming back from the Dells of Wisconsin going on I94 towards MSP, we started going up a grade but at some point I thought we leveled off or where actauly going down hill but in fact we were still on an uphill grade. I feared the worst as I had my pedal to the metal as I felt our speed decreasing down to almost 40mph.   Then I recalled we hit something similar on the way there.

I was pulling our Chrysler town and country (4200lbs) as well.

Questions :

1) should I be worried at all?
2) would an older fuel filter(s) cause loss of power?
3) would air filter be an issue?
4) is this all just normal and I need to deal with it?

We managed a tick over 6 mpg over 523 miles pulling the t&c and trying to keep up with traffic hitting 70 when we could .  I'm running 100-110 psi on my tires.  Temp never gets over 185f , it was in the 70s ambient air temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Currently gutted working on the build.  Video Build Log
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:50:56 PM »

Your a worry wart,,BUT,,if you were down that much you should have dropped a gear to keep up the engine RPM and fan speed.>>>D (In other words, don't lug it)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:58:30 PM by Utahclaimjumper » Logged

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
President Western GM Coach chapter FMCA
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »

Your a worry wart,,BUT,,if you were down that much you should have dropped a gear to keep up the engine RPM and fan speed.>>>D (In other words, don't lug it)

Mine is.an auto trans and around 50mph it will drop, sometimes I drop it down if I know that we need to take it low and slow.

This one just surprised me.

I don't mind being worry wart :-)

First time bus owner, long time bus lover  - 1982 MCI MC9 6V92 - Currently gutted working on the build.  Video Build Log
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 08:18:57 AM »

Huggy will pull the long hill from Knoxville to Nashville On I40 at 55 miles per hour.

But I look down and the temp slowley creeps up.  I have to slow down and keep her in second under 50 to keep the rpm's up.

Just have to drive by the temp. guage not the speed.

If it is freezing rain I can cross fancy gap at 60. If it is 90 i will cross it at 25 to 30 in  low gear.

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »

If you want to go up hills without slowing down pulling a toad you will need twice the horsepower you have now.

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »

Get misters if you don't already have them. Cuts the stress on engine instead of running near overheat at times. Cheaper than a cracked head or more.

Restricted fuel filters creep up at first, being not so noticeble till they fully restrict. Look for normal rate of black smoke on hard grades, then notice it doesn't produce any on similiar climb. Some engines with turbo and smaller injectors may be hard to tell. The more wear in a 71 or 92, the better they run. Back the day, truckers used to say their engine ran the best before it "blew"

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
TheHollands!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »

Neo, I pull the same vehicle with same bus and I find that the slow inclines are trickier to negotiate than the steep climbs. I installed a pyrometer and drive by that rather than my speed. It can be easy to push it too hard thinking your on a flat and overheat the engine in a spot where you start relaxing. I usually drop a gear to keep the rpms up and just go a little slower.  Craig

The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads
neoneddy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »

Get misters if you don't already have them. Cuts the stress on engine instead of running near overheat at times. Cheaper than a cracked head or more.

Restricted fuel filters creep up at first, being not so noticeble till they fully restrict. Look for normal rate of black smoke on hard grades, then notice it doesn't produce any on similiar climb. Some engines with turbo and smaller injectors may be hard to tell. The more wear in a 71 or 92, the better they run. Back the day, truckers used to say their engine ran the best before it "blew"

I recall seeing black smoke once while leaving a light in the spring when everything was cooler.

I've never seen black smoke from her since, doesn't mean it's not happening, just I don't see it.

The temp sits around 185 indicated, didn't rise much even on the grades.  Last month we took a trip to Austin,mn and the temp would rise some but not much over 195 , it was in the mid 80's ambient temp.

This is leading me to think my fuel filters might be clogging up, what is the usual interval on changing? I just bought it in April / May of this year.

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »

Try by replacing primary filter. They usually plug faster than secondary. GM recommends 5000 mi. on primary and 10,000 on secondary . You may need to service more often due to dirty fuel, coach parked for extended time, dirty tank, etc.

GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: