Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 02:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rinning a DD two stroke in the winter?  (Read 774 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »

The advice that you've been given sounds right to me.  And I'm thinking that you're pretty careful about water "anywhere it shouldn't be" anyway.  If your plumbing pipes are insulated or inside the warm area, you don't have water in fuel, and there's no water in your brake system, that will eliminate many possible problems.
    And I agree with Brian D -- run it for 10 hours and let it sit for 8 (even if cold temps) and the engine temp will be very different than if it sat outside for 4 days.  That engine temp will make a difference in diesel ignition and also oil thickness, of course.   Battery condition is critical, too and it helps a lot if they're in a place that can be kept warm.
    As good as you are about your regular maintenance, and your technical understanding of what happens in the cold, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 06:56:19 AM »

Nobody has said anything about the snow itself.  In the Seattle area i have seen, (very rarely) snow that was "dry", that crunched when you walked or drove on it. Traction and stopping was no problem, it was almost like driving on bare pavement. You had a hard time making a snow ball as it would not pack together. Usually however, the snow there is a wet snow, so traction and stopping is a whole "nother"  ball game.....sometimes you will slide a little, sometimes you will slide a lot. You go to make a snowball and it packs quickly and a little water comes out of it. Sometimes the water will just pour out of it as you pack it.  One time on flat ground i made it a block in a vw bug before i turned around and went home....had no traction, and those things are usually good in the snow.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »

Ran Bridgestone 227's on the drivers and the bogie, Anchorage to Arizona.....no chains needed....but i did run the engine for 2-3 days and the gen too...in October-November.

I have seen been part of keeping Detroit's of every size and flavor burning diesel ALL winter October to April, in the oil patches/pipelines of Alaska, believe me they can take it.
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »

They can take it all right ... as long as there running at 180 degrees and the oil pressure is up  many  winters back we had a small service contract to open a winter road across the lakes into a mine site purchased a new rebuilt 6v92t for our 650 champion grader  installed also a V plow and a escape hatch cut into the roof all done at a reputable dealer in Hay river . The boys brought it back in the middle of the night told them to idle it up to at least 1400 RPM and tarp it in  Long story short they didn't idle it up   the engine slobber it self to death by 10 am the next morning the engine was junk . My 8V92T will run for ever at -50 below at 1400 RPM but will it ever burn a hole in your pocket .

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:12:29 AM »

the oil patch....the oil companies pick up the tab...no one has a fatter wallet... Shocked
but i have never seen a dd die a slobbered death quite so quickly....
Nineforever
Nineforever

100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:19:44 AM »

I was pretty shocked my self , it was bitter cold -45 or so plus windchill good thing it was under warranty i guess it was just to much for it to handle during break in 

Hyway 3 100 klms south of Yellowknife NWT Canada
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:11:10 AM »

Well I just wish Brian would straightened out the header,lol your parts will be picked up later today Brian watch them they are from the AZ heat and may not like the cold Roll Eyes

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:31:10 PM »

Hoo Rah!  They will like the cold just fine I think.  Leaving tomorrow for a short trip to Gaspe Quebec where my forefather landed from England in the 1770's, a long time ago.  What shipper did you use?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:57:48 PM »

FEDX ground

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up