Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 26, 2015, 08:39:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beat a dead horse  (Read 236 times)
mikke60

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »

I know this topic has been round and round here, but I am at the point of replacing airbags and lines on my 5a. My bought linear actuators with the plan of replacing the stock rod that controls ride height for campground leveling.Now seeing how the whole airbag setup works, I am doing some serious rethinking . I am now leaning toward removing stock leveling valves and using manual air valves .
 I have seen articles here that say the old system is not needed in our application as campers, and I am .leaning more and more in that direction. Would I be correct in assuming a ruptured airbag could also be isolated and allow the bus to hobble to safety?
I guess  need to decide to buy a lot of air tubing , or wire.
 Thanks, mike
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 644MT Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »

Mike if you are thinking of air driven bags with 4 controls like We have in our 5C it is a 1/4" line or 3/8" would be faster up and down supply the air from the control to each set of bags. We connected the front 2 on the left together and the front 2 on the right together. Same in the rear. Then run all lines to the valves up front where you can reach them from the drivers seat. You will have two air line hookups on the back of the controls for each set of bags. So one line from bags to each control outlet, then connect the other 4 inlets together with tubing and the end of those lines into one line that will go to your supply air accessories tank. Mount your controls and I left in the leveling valves in case I ever needed them. Your done. Grin

Dave
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:47:09 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
RJ
Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »

Mike -

Tortoise (my 5C) has a "level-it" system.  Manual & Hiway settings.  Hiway uses the OEM leveling valves while running down the road, Manual isolates the air bellows from the OEM valves for campground use.  Works fine.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C
6V71/MT-644
Clovis CA
FolkBus
It's a family thing

1967 MC-5A - 1949 Crown Supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:04:27 AM »

RJ,

Do you have an air schematic of that system?  I like to see how that works.  Getting ready to redo my 5A.

--Mike

Mike and Debbie McNeil  Ridgway - Montrose, CO
1949 Crown SuperCoach (Amazing Grace) Conversion 1972  Pancake 220 Cummins  Fuller 5 Speed

1967 MC-5A  (Serenity)  Conversion 1986  8v-71N   Allison MT-644
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: