Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
February 21, 2018, 11:34:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing the OTR AC on 64 GM 4106  (Read 118 times)
andyps

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:54 PM »

Hi there, I am removing my OTR AC on my 1964 GM 4106. Im installing a mini split system, and I want to utilize the condenser bay for the outdoor unit (multi-zone unit) of the mini-split. So I am removing everything from that bay.

The cooling fan on the condenser coil/radiator is hydraulic. From reading the manual it seems like it's run from an engine driven hydraulic pump. Is that all that the pump drives? Am I safe to disconnect the fan motor and drain the system?

Anything else I should know when Im removing the AC lines and condenser coil?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:02:05 PM »

On a 4106 the AC drives from a PTO off the Torus fan,but you can pull the drive and plate over it, the pump you are calling it (Torus drive) has to stay for the engine cooling fan, now the hyd part I never saw on a 4106 those were usually dc fan motors   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:09:18 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
andyps

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:40:58 AM »

On a 4106 the AC drives from a PTO off the Torus fan,but you can pull the drive and plate over it, the pump you are calling it (Torus drive) has to stay for the engine cooling fan, now the hyd part I never saw on a 4106 those were usually dc fan motors   

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. On my bus, my AC condenser coil cooling fan (the one in the front drivers side AC bay) is definitely a hydraulic fan, not a DC. I've already been in there to investigate and my manual confirms it. The schematic also shows the lines to that fan going to a pulley-driven hydraulic pump mounted to the side of the AC compressor in the engine bay. So it seems to me this is the pumps only purpose and I'm a-okay to remove and drain. Just wanted to double check in here to make sure.

Thanks
richard5933

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:57:10 AM »

Where is the pump for this fan? I don't remember our 4106 having a hydraulic fan.Can you post a photo or two?

Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB
viking42

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:00:23 AM »

Have a 62 gm 4106 also pulled standard air condition had large dc motor that circulated air for heating and air also had hyd motor that ran condenser or evaporator, just know it was large , never regreted it, left hole for lots of storage and generator, now heat from defrosters supply heat for bus down to 20 degrees, anything more i  run generator an electric heat  works quite well for us being snow birds helps hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: