Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:57:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1979 TMC MCI 9 Newbie questions continued  (Read 2772 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:38:32 AM »

I am just anxious to get started and have no idea about the different models.  For obvious reasons, I am anxious to have something that could be up and running in a short period of time and move the conversion through the steps over time.

U2 -

Really THINK about what you've written here.  For those of us who have been around these bus conversion bulletin boards for any length of time, what you've written is a HUGE red flag.

Why?

You've said why yourself - "I am just anxious to get started. . ."

Time and time again we "old timers" have seen newbies jump in BEFORE they really do their homework, only to get burned and/or burned out on a project that was far greater than what they had in mind.  The fact that you have no idea about the different models tells us that you haven't been doing your homework before tackling this project - you're still in the dreamer stage!

You'd be far better off to follow the latter half of your own advice about having something "that could be up and running in a short period of time" by picking up one of the many, many conversions that are out there on the market right now, and then modifying it to suit your own needs.

You say your budget's 10K for the shell and another 40K (WAY too low, btw) for the interior - there's some awfully nice rigs out there in the $50 - $100K range you should be considering.

Now I'm going to suggest something different than everybody else:  STOP what you're doing now, and start studying.  First homework assignment - pick up a copy of "Beginner's Guide to Converted Coaches," written by Larry Plachno, the publisher of National Bus Trader, one of the industry trade journals.  Although it's a little dated, conceptually it's right on the money.  Read it thoroughly, cover to cover, then read it again, BEFORE you spend a dime on a real bus - or a real mistake.  Available from Amazon, sometimes on eBay, or directly from the publisher (www.busmag.com)

As for the TMC, get me the Serial Number and Unit Number of the coach, (or the whole VIN, or both), and I'll see if I can dig up who originally purchased it from the factory for you.

Now, go do your homework!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »

While I disagree that 40K for the interior is too low (much less "WAY too low") I pretty much agree with the rest.  We've all been talking about the hardware without considering the other factors. 

There is several million dollars' worth of research here for the asking -- things that we have all learned, sometimes expensive lessons.

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

I have to agree with RJ...you don't want to jump in too deep too quickly unless you have a bail-out plan. I read some years back that most folks buy a bus and spend the next few years getting it ready only to never get to use it. The suggestion was to get the bus home, pull the seats, throw in an ice chest, camp stove and sleeping bags and folding chairs and take a trip. That is the mindset I've been  using. I have to say that I have gathered some very useful information from the bus boards/forums that has really enabled me to narrow my search for what I want.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: