Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:35:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new board question  (Read 1790 times)
jatnip

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2006, 03:15:56 PM »

When it says that a new post have been added to an existing one how can I tell which ones are new without going back and reading them all?   I know they are in order but can't seem to find were the new ones start.  Must be to simple.  Thanks Jim
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:16:48 PM »

When it says that a new post have been added to an existing one how can I tell which ones are new without going back and reading them all?   I know they are in order but can't seem to find were the new ones start.  Must be to simple.  Thanks Jim

Hi Jim, and welcome to the board. 

The board does track which topics you have read, and whether there has been a new post to the topic since you last read it.  Messages within topics are stored in chronological order.  e.g., original post is first, and so on, with the most recent being the post furthest down the thread.  So, if there are 3 pages of posts to that topic, go to page 3 to see the most recent posts.

Not quite as easy to see whether you have read a particular post, within a particular topic.  Especially as there are a large number of posts displayed per page.  Thus the board can't really tell whether you are looking at a particular post on a particular page.  This is different from the old board, where you actually had to click on each message to read it.  On this board, you click on a page which may contain multiple messages.  Different. 

There are lots of ways to make your life easier on this topic. You can have email messages sent to notify you that there has been a post to a topic you are watching, you can have the posts sorted in reverse chronological order, e.g., newest posts first, you can make other selections such as show unread posts since last visit (top of main page), you can show  "new replies to your posts", etc...

Well, hope this gets you a little farther along!   Smiley

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »

Hi Jim, and welcome to the board. 

The board does track which topics you have read, and whether there has been a new post to the topic since you last read it.  Messages within topics are stored in chronological order.  e.g., original post is first, and so on, with the most recent being the post furthest down the thread.  So, if there are 3 pages of posts to that topic, go to page 3 to see the most recent posts.

Not quite as easy to see whether you have read a particular post, within a particular topic.  Especially as there are a large number of posts displayed per page.  Thus the board can't really tell whether you are looking at a particular post on a particular page.  This is different from the old board, where you actually had to click on each message to read it.  On this board, you click on a page which may contain multiple messages.  Different. 

There are lots of ways to make your life easier on this topic. You can have email messages sent to notify you that there has been a post to a topic you are watching, you can have the posts sorted in reverse chronological order, e.g., newest posts first, you can make other selections such as show unread posts since last visit (top of main page), you can show  "new replies to your posts", etc...

Well, hope this gets you a little farther along!   Smiley

Best Regards, Phil

My experience so far is that I have found it more convenient to have the messages in each post sorted so that the newest is on top, or the first. If there have been a few responses then I have to scroll down to see where the last message is I have read, but this method prevents me from having to go to the very last post.
Just my preference. Yours may vary.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: