Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Jackson's Bus up for auction  (Read 5202 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« on: April 02, 2009, 05:27:19 AM »

Hi Guy's,

Anybody intrested in a 97' Neoplan?

1997 Neoplan Touring Coach
The engine in this coach is a Detroit Series 60 with 500 horsepower and 6-speed transmission.  The coach, herself is 45-feet long and 13-feet high. Her interior includes features such as leather sofas and recliners, granite surfaces, full-sized shower stall, bathroom including bidet, kitchen, intercom system and an upgraded audio-video system including a large, flat panel television. Winning bidder will travel in the style of Michael Jackson, the way he and his friends did to many concerts and various events.

Estimated Value: $40,000 - $60,000

http://www.juliensauctions.com/index.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:29:14 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
kd5kfl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:29:45 AM »

Winning bidder will travel in the style of Michael Jackson, the way he and his friends did to many concerts and various events.

I hope not. One is enough.

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:40:03 AM »

The estimated value makes a rather interesting statement about Michael Jackson's status as a celebrity.  They didn't add any value for it being a celebrity's bus.  In fact the estimated value seems lower than I would expect for such a luxury conversion.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:47:44 AM »

Really that seems pretty low for that bus (I am sure that Sean has a comment). For a fully converted bus that is of that caliber, not too bad unless the drivetrain has some major problems. I won't say what just our shell cost... Grin Grin Grin

God bless,

John
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:57:25 AM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »

The estimated value makes a rather interesting statement about Michael Jackson's status as a celebrity.  They didn't add any value for it being a celebrity's bus.  In fact the estimated value seems lower than I would expect for such a luxury conversion.

Well, who wants a coach that does the Moonwalk . . ?

PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:54:45 AM »

Nick,

That's cruel. I endured almost 5 minutes of nausea trying to find the thing before I gave up. To think the poor man will have to live as a housemaid the rest of his life...ohh the humanity!

Do you have a direct link? I would like to follow up on that auction. We have a very nice looking Neoplan on the E-place just a few miles from me.

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:14:09 AM »

Yeah, but to drive it you have to be wearing one glove.  Grin

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »

The detail that caught my attention was that it has a bidet.  Somehow for that freak that seems entirely appropriate.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »

Really that seems pretty low for that bus (I am sure that Sean has a comment). For a fully converted bus that is of that caliber, not too bad unless the drivetrain has some major problems. I won't say what just out shell cost...

Sure, I can comment.

This bus is a Neoplan Spaceliner, almost identical to my own coach.  It is one of perhaps only a dozen or so Spaceliners still on the road in this country.

This particular bus was built at the Neoplan USA plant in Lamar, Colorado.  It was a custom order as an empty shell; back then, a new 45' shell with all the factory options sold in the neighborhood of $275k-$300k.  As a US-built coach, it has common US-spec running gear such as Meritor axles, Bendix brakes, and, of course, a Detroit/Allison power train (my German-built model has European-spec running gear, including Mercedes axles that are hard to get parts for in the US; my power train was changed out to a Detroit/Allison in Lamar when the coach was just a couple years old).  This is also a 45' coach (Neoplan USA also offered 40' as an option), whereas all the European models such as mine were "12 meters" or 39'5" in length.

The reason it looks so low in the photo is that all the air is out of the suspension.  That being said, the stock ride height is only 3"-4" higher than that when the coach is fully aired up.  Most Spaceliners came with a "high-boy/low-boy" switch that allows the driver to lower the suspension fully (as shown) or raise it fully, which gets you another 3"-4" above stock ride height for clearing obstacles; again, this would just be 8" or so higher than shown in the photo.  ("Kneeling" and "tag unloader" were also available air system options.)

One of the drawbacks to the 45' model over the 40' is that the front overhang is substantially longer (the rear overhangs are about the same.  This makes for a shallower angle-of-approach;  I know that we have to be very choosy about what driveways we enter and exit, and, yes, we've gotten stuck.  We've also broken and had to re-glass the nose trim countless times.  This problem is much worse for the 45' coaches, although the US models have another inch or two of suspension travel to help compensate.

[Paragraph deleted -- wrong bus in my head.  This one was one of the front-door units built for Marathon.]

It is a little disheartening to me to see the value estimated so low.  I think this reflects not only Jackson's tremendous fall from grace (although I note his European concert tour sold out in mere hours), but also the fact that Neoplans in the US are orphaned coaches, with no factory service network and increasingly hard-to-find parts.  The Jackson coach, as it sits, would make a lousy motor home (wrong floor plan, wrong furnishings) and is too over-the-top as an executive coach.  It's not even well set-up for limo service.  That makes it an entertainer, and an eccentric one at that, and the market is flooded with them.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:25:46 PM by Sean » Logged

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »

I searched and searched thru a bunch of toys and couldnt find the bus either. Can someone give a direct link? Im just curious.....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:48 AM »

The detail that caught my attention was that it has a bidet.  Somehow for that freak that seems entirely appropriate.

Not to burst your bubble, Bob, but Jackson was not the first owner of this bus, and the bidet was specified by the original buyer, an Arab who bought 17 more-or-less identical Spaceliners custom-converted by Marathon Coach.  Every single one of them had a bidet.

Out of the 17 coaches, six or seven, I think, stayed here in the US and were positioned around the country for when the owner or his guests visited, the remainder went overseas to several countries he visited occasionally.  Neoplan was chosen as the coach builder (by Marathon) because they were the only US builder willing to make right hand drive coaches, and several of the buses ordered were specified with right hand drive because they were being sent to RHD countries.

All of the coaches here in the US came on the used market in the early part of this decade, several are still in service.  Jackson picked one of them up.  All six or seven of these seem to show up (one at a time) on eBay fairly regularly.

FWIW.

-Sean

Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »

I searched and searched thru a bunch of toys and couldnt find the bus either. Can someone give a direct link? Im just curious.....

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6295364

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

Not to burst your bubble, Bob, but Jackson was not the first owner of this bus, and the bidet was specified by the original buyer, an Arab who bought 17 more-or-less identical Spaceliners custom-converted by Marathon Coach.  Every single one of them had a bidet.

HUH??

The fact (?) that some anonymous Arab also liked bidets in his coaches doesn't change the fact that Michael Jackson is a freak.  I'm supposed to believe he wouldn't have taken the bidet out if he didn't like it?  You couldn't give me a coach that creep had owned let alone get me to part with my hard earned coin for one.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »

OMG! These idiots are charging a 25% buyers premium on the auction!!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »

... doesn't change the fact that Michael Jackson is a freak.  ...

Sorry, Bob, I wasn't clear:  Yes, Jackson is a freak.  I just meant that putting the bidet in wasn't his idea.  It's actually a little surprising to me that he didn't change the interior of the coach one iota.

BTW, however I feel about Jackson, I would not hesitate to buy this coach at the right price.  Minimum bid is $20k, and the auctioneer is estimating $60k.  I think it would be a steal at that price, considering it is a Marathon.  You can buy a lot of disinfectant with the money you save Smiley That said, turning it into a livable motor home requires a little work.  The bathroom is across the rear wall of the coach, and the galley is just forward of that.  So, unless you wanted a complete strip-out, you'd have to put the bedroom in the "penthouse" area above the cockpit, or in what is currently the seating area just behind that.

I don't know if this makes me a freak, too, in your eyes, but I also would have kept the bidet, had I bought one of these coaches (no room in my bus, but, hey, if I had that extra 5').  I happen to think the bidet is an under-appreciated fixture in North America.  If you spend any time in Europe you get spoiled by having one everywhere you go.  (Although the average American hasn't a clue what it's for.)

-Sean

Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »

Craig,  I don't think that's all that unreasonable.  Barrett-Jackson, for example, tops out at %17 for the same sorts of items, and Julien's is charging only 20% on bids above $49,000.

If you had to deal with Jackson, you'd charge extra, too.  The guy's a jerk -- he's already threatened to sue Julien's over contract issues that he himself created.  Personally, I wouldn't touch his business on a bet, so I am not surprised at all that Julien's wouldn't do it for less than 20-25%.

Bidder's premiums are just one of those unavoidable annoyances of the auction world (speaking as a long-time permanent paddle holder at Nationwide's).  You just have to mentally subtract it from your "limit" for any given lot before raising your paddle.  In which case, I prefer percentages that are easy to figure on-the-fly, like 10% or even 25% (I know how to calculate "a quarter" pretty quickly), rather than obscure percentages that require more mental gymnastics, like 14%.

FWIW.

-Sean

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:53 AM »

I think MJ's original plan was to haul Cub Scout's around in it. I heard he once had a "pack a day" habit!! I guess you could call me a hick however. I thought those bidets were drinking fountains!!  Wink

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

Craig,  I don't think that's all that unreasonable.  Barrett-Jackson, for example, tops out at %17 for the same sorts of items, and Julien's is charging only 20% on bids above $49,000.

If you had to deal with Jackson, you'd charge extra, too.  The guy's a jerk -- he's already threatened to sue Julien's over contract issues that he himself created.  Personally, I wouldn't touch his business on a bet, so I am not surprised at all that Julien's wouldn't do it for less than 20-25%.

Bidder's premiums are just one of those unavoidable annoyances of the auction world (speaking as a long-time permanent paddle holder at Nationwide's).  You just have to mentally subtract it from your "limit" for any given lot before raising your paddle.  In which case, I prefer percentages that are easy to figure on-the-fly, like 10% or even 25% (I know how to calculate "a quarter" pretty quickly), rather than obscure percentages that require more mental gymnastics, like 14%.

FWIW.

-Sean
http://http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Hi Sean,

Barratt Jackson gets the cut on both ends... Buyers and Sellers premiums. If I remember correctly it's 17% on the seller and 15% on the buyer.

No Dummies in that company! Undecided
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

Barratt Jackson gets the cut on both ends... Buyers and Sellers premiums. If I remember correctly it's 17% on the seller and 15% on the buyer.

I looked up what B-J charges and it is 10% for the buyer and 8% for the seller.  I never even knew the seller as well as the buyer paid B-J.

20% premium for the buyer still seems awful steep for the Michael Jackson auction especially if Jackson is kicking in something too.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »

It kind of makes sense.  Auction houses are essentially retailers as far as their role in the buy/sell relationship.  Even discount retailers generally demand 25% gross margin (50% markup) and higher with some departments well over 50% gross margin (100% markup).
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 05:19:19 PM »

Two observations,

Sean, I cring looking at the front end extension beyond the front axle.  WOW, I can hear it and feel the pavement thru the floorboards on my feet.

Also this is a far cry and alot better looking coach than the first (200) the Arab's purchased back in 1979 from MCI.....

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

I want my MCI to look that good. I think I can, I think I can.......
All the Best,M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

I think I would want to put some serious rollers under the front bumper.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Airbag

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »

Of course we know what a bidet is for. It's where you dump your waste oil.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04:42 PM »

Does anyone have a good idea or guess what this thing would weigh?  My sold Crown had some alarming estimated curb weights with some of the planned conversion formats.  Also, in my opinion, I don't think one could buy enough Clorex!  Right hand, left hand?  It must be nice to be that rich. HB of CJ Smiley Smiley Smiley

bus Post
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »

Does anyone have a good idea or guess what this thing would weigh?

46,000-50,000 lbs, give or take.

Mine weighs in at 47,000, and it's 5' shorter.

-Sean

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:56 PM »

Yeah!  Me too!  I want a "bidet" I am one of the Americans that Sean is talking about.  Have not a clue.  I want and also own a lot of stuff i am not exactly clear on.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »

Hi Guy's,

I saw an interview on NBC today that had a represenative from Julians Auctions talking about MJs' items.

The guy was talking about the estimated values being very low to draw attention to the items for auction.

This just might mean these items may sell far above their estimate... Do ya think? Wink

Nick-

BG6

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »

Of course we know what a bidet is for. It's where you dump your waste oil.

No, a bidet is the dog's drinking fountain.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: