Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 08:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your "Must have" Road Tool Kit? (Check the List and add to it)  (Read 3533 times)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »

Roll EyesDoes anyone have pictures of were and how the stow their tools on board? Roll Eyes

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
randsgmc5302

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »

I'm with Nick on this one and a cell phone.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

A few things I missed that I have since noticed: (in addition to the many other items others have already posted that I initially missed)
- dremel tool seems to get a lot of use
- bullseye glass repair kits from Permatex are must haves if you drive gravel (or sanded roads)
- hacksaw, butane torch, step ladder and those little stretchy numbers with the round ball on the end
And, as we discussed last night, that most versatile tool of all --- the IR thermometer

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »

I carry a tool box full of screw drivers, wire cutters, utility knife, hammer, and the like, another tool box with a full set of sockets and wrenches, and a bag filled with a set of cordless tools.  In addition I carry a handheld grinder, heat gun, and a Dremel tool.  I also have a 12 gallon rubbermaid container full of various screws and fasteners along with electrical parts like crimpon terminals and heat shrink.  A 5 foot folding ladder also stows under a bunk bed inside.

I don't carry any tools remotely big enough to change a tire.  I leave that to the tire truck.  No jacks either.  I do have a 18 gallon Rubbermaid container with spare fuel and oil filters, belts, extra radiator hose/clamps, and extra coolant/oil/tranny fluid.

If something happens that needs bigger tools I probably couldn't fix it anyhow.

I have no set place for tools as everything just gets shoved one of the two open cargo bays.  My design purposely only used one full luggage bay for systems to maximize open cargo space.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »

In addition to all those who have contributed:

I carry a parts drawer set of various lamps ( marker, turn sig etc)

Also one pound coffee can of peumatic connectors, Tee's, valves, of various sizes. I also have a length of DOT tubing.

I, like Belfert have a straight 6' step ladder, almost enough for me to every thing from cleaning windshield, chg marker lights, add antifreeze...

I also carry a 6 amp 12V battery charger, so I can charge a battery separately. Used that bad boy twice, and needed it both times.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

With all your "Hammers" you sure qualify as a "HAMMER" mechanic.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »

Does no one keep a ready supply of alcohol -- for the purpose of promoting creative thought -- in their array of necessary tools?Huh

Melbo

P.S. a leatherman is always handy

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »

All of the above except Cody's wood working tools! Plus a real good 3 hp air compressor I brought from Sears for the times I need more poop!

I'm sure I will find a tool I don't have that I need, but hey, that's half the fun of collecting all the Man Tools we need to service our beasts!

As far as where to put them all, anyplace that you have room!  Grin

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »

This is where the freezer used to be, but since owning a bus I've added a lot of tools (toys) Grin

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 07:30:59 PM »

I keep the jack and torque multiplier and big wrenches up front in the little compartment out side at the bottom on the driver side

I have a HF tool bag that all my plumbing tools have collected in i have it on board at a minimum.

Definitely the IR temp sensor and flashlight are must haves.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:42:09 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »

Hey PP, That is a really nice set up. M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

You forgot fuzzy dice and a set of wind-up chattering teeth.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »

First off, I sold my Crown Super Coach and am presently Bus Conversion-less!  Augghhhh!  Probably not qualified to answer this with my own views.

How about determining the specific use of your Conversion and then determine the specific solutions to your presented potential problems or concerns?

Cell Phones fail.  Repair/tire men fail to show up.  Perhaps your coach may fail and at the least expected time and place.  Why not work backwards for a solution?

My sold Crown was a 10 wheeler and could go places that would puke some SUVs.  Not that I would; but it would have taken a tank retriever to pull it out.

If..you limit your touring to the Interstate corrider, then a minimalist approach works fine.  We are sooss lucky.  However; if you like "off the beaten track", then......?

How about first sit down with your honey and have a fun time planning the actual use of your Bus Conversion?  Then play "what if" and work backwards?  HB of CJ

tool/parts Post
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 05:32:19 AM »

my favorite tools are a multi meter, 18 V flashlight that runs on the same batts as my drill/screw driver, IR temp sensor, Black duct tape ('cause it looks more "pro").  I also carry full sockets and impacts, 3 gal compressor, air assist bottle jack, and run up ramps. Oh and my tool bucket which is my preferred tool chest at work and has all the little things I need in it (a lot of which are now stuck at the bottom of the deeper pockets) yeah the list goes on..... Grinder and sawzall.....I like the idea of having a dedicated tool chest for the bus but I need my tools for other stuff/vehicles as well.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »

My favorite tool is the one I need at that time.  With so many different systems on the bus (AC & DC electrical, plumbing, tires & brakes, suspension, drive train, etc), it is difficult to list which tool;s are the most important.  I do all my own repair work (or at least 98% of it), so I carry everything I can make room for.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: