Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:16:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your "Must have" Road Tool Kit? (Check the List and add to it)  (Read 3527 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 07:02:50 AM »

I just thought of an important item that I think has been missed so far - a DOT flare kit.  Just because we aren't legally obligated to carry them doesn't make them any less essential if you are broke down on the side of the road.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »

An old truck driver told me long ago that if you leave on your trip in good shape you will most likely get home in good shape. I subscribe to this theory and it has served me well. I do carry some tools but other than trailer light wires I do not remember anything that has ever quit on the road. ( knock on wood)

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
Diesel_Gypsy

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »

The place to start would be with the biggest tool you need. . .the tool chest itself.

Make sure you get one big enough to store all your tools plus lots of room for the other ones you will collect!

There is nothing more frustrating than spending half your time looking for tools or buying more because you just can't find what you need!

Happy trails. . .
Jim

Jim Luthje

1948 TDH3610 - 361 MH
1975 T6H4523N - C145

Baldwinton, Sk.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »

I forgot to mention I do have a set of three orange warning triangles.

I have had exactly one breakdown on the bus on the road.  A coolant hose wasn't properly clamped after replacing the water pump and radiator.  It didn't start leaking for almost 1,000 miles.  We had an issue with our trailer last year, but that was caused due to loose cargo getting caught between trailer frame and tire.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 06:11:59 AM »

Burbon, a lawn chair, and an umbrella, if I can't roll out the awning. Grin  There is no way that you can carry all of the tools that you need.  If you could then where do you put the spare parts?  I've spent many years on the road fixing things with duct tape and bailing wire to get me to a shop if needed or home (preferred).  Sometimes it works, sometimes you just need road service.  A basic set of hand tools, a filter wrench, fuel to prime, extra fuel filters, (which should be changed if they are questionable as this will save you many headaches) and starting fluid (often used as a torch or for starting fires).  Just remember that most major cities have someone who will come out and do roadside repairs for a price.  You just have to decide if standing outside in sub zero or rainy weather is worth the price.  My favorite saying is "It's all part of the adventure."   

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »

My road service, which I am changing (poor performance) from coach-net to Good Sam

Luke and Bill's # 888-coach-34

John
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »

I have read all of the suggestions, and forgive if I missed this, but the only time I was ever "alongside the road" was after going thru an OK toll booth, and noticed I was listing to the left. I paid my toll, pulled ahead and to the right out of the way. Obviously, my left rear air suspension had a problem. I did not know the nature of the problem and the bus was wayyyyy too low to crawl under there. I bottled jacked it partially up and could see that my leveling valve arm was no longer connected to the upright strut from the axle. I reached in with a long screw driver and adjusted the arm so that the air bags would fill (the bus was still running). Then, I reached in with one hand and threaded a WIRE TIE thru the hole where a BOLT should normally be. I cinched it up, and then added yet another WIRE TIE for redundancy. So....like duct tape.....I never leave home without a selection of wire ties....and they do not take up much room.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

We live in NASCAR country...(I'm not braggin' bout' it...just a fact)...and we were taught years ago that you onl.y need two tools;
If it's stuck and shouldn't be...use WD-40.
If it's loose and shouldn't be use duct tape...or as we call it, '200 MPH tape'!

PP...when I saw that nice little slide drawer on the toolbox I looked at Dianne and said "Look at this...what an ...-....!LOL Grin  Neat buddy...nice job!

OT...when the Superbird's, Talladega's, you know...the wings cars came out...Duct Tape was pretty new.  They would wreck the crap out of a winged car...throw a bunch of Duct Tape on it and low and behold it got faster.  They learned two things...sometimes it help to disturb the air...and also that if they made the car in a teardrop shape...almost like an egg...with the pointy end to the rear...it would really go FAST!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »

I would like to Thank each one of You for all your great input with regards to bobofthenorth for kicking it off. This list gives me my christmas list for years to come. Now that we have our tools, were do we put them in our bus? Please see new thread.Tool Storage in our buses. Pic's Please   All the Best, M&C
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:27:03 PM by Singing Land Cruiser » Logged

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:05:01 AM »

M&C,

Great thead.

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up