Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 02:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10kw Onan on 30 amp - bad idea?  (Read 1026 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »

Hey guys, Spring is here for sure this time and I have a question.

I converted my bus from 50amp to 30amp and now am no longer able to utilize my generator to its full potential.  Is it OK to run off half the generator. I heard that on the cheaper units it is a serious balance issue but on the ONAN all is good?Huh

Alternatively, if anyone wants to trade a 10kw quiet diesel for something smaller...

Thanks

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

I have my Powertech 10kw wired straight 120vac.  No balancing issues.  My land line is only one leg of the 50 amp-once again, no balancing issues.  I like this so much, I'm going to wire my new Wrico 13kw the same way and run the land line the same on my truck conversion.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:31 AM »

I looked at the generator here:
http://www.cumminsonan.com/cm/products/diesel/compare?gensetId=21

They don't indicate that it is reconnectable for 120, though it probably is.  If it is not, then one way (though not inexpensive) would be a 240:120 transformer to balance it out.

I think you are on the right track to change it out for a 6-8 kw.  If you are wired for 30 amps, you will never use it's capacity anyway.

Personally, I think 6 kw and a little load management is the way to go.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »

Viento1,
I was told by an electrical eng'r that works with power, that generator windings are all spiraled together and it will not hurt anything to have one leg fully loaded and the other at no-load.
I asked because we have 3 AC's and there would be no way to keep it balanced.
I have an ampmeter on each leg to check.
8 years and no problems.
Frank
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

Viento1,  you don't have a problem as long as you change the circuit breaker on the output side of the generator to 30 Amps. If it's a 4 lead generator the reconnection diagram should be on the reverse side to the connection cover and will tell you how to connect it for 120V AC.  Otherwise you can get that information for your unit from your Cummins/Onan dealer.

I was in that business for years (an Onan dealer) so what sometimes seems insurmountable often becomes a simple solution.

cordially,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: