Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 03:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sikaflex adice??????????????????????????????  (Read 1122 times)
mccarlk

1967 mci 5 8v71 auto

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:16:36 PM »

???was wondering if i should use the sika 252 or any other sugestions, starting to skin my 84prevost xl this weekend, thaks in advance, ken

treat every day like is your last, just make sure you dont spend all your money,in case its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:12:47 PM »

I most certainly would !!  The stuff is magic, easy to use, tougher than nails and won't let you down.

A few musts:

(1) use a disc sander with a new clean disc to roughen up the surfaces that the sika will be sticking to
(2) Wipe those surfaces down with isopropyl alcohol, preferably 99% (avaliable at printers supplies called "IPA99") to remove any oil
(3) DEFINITELY use the Sika primer.  Paint it on, remember your childhood if you're an old fart like me (the smell) wait fifteen minutes and apply the 252.
(4) Assuming everything pre- lines up the way you want, put beads of sika on the bus side of things, about 3/8" diameter, and then stick in some little plastic spacers .100 to .125" every 6 inches or so.  It's real easy to just stick your finger into a tiny pot of sika, and then what sticks to your finger will stick to the dots to pick them up and transfer them to the bead.   These keep the bead at the proper thickness for good cure and strength.
(5) Stick the sheet on and somehow hold it there for 8-10 hours, and you're done.  I use big (3/4" cubes) supermagnets, they hold thru aluminum or stainless sheets to the steel below.
  You can also use 2x4's, clamps, or just about anything that will hold the sheets in place.  Just be sure if you use magnets or clamps to put them over the spacers.
  BTW I am offering little bags of 200 spacer dots for free to anyone who wants to send me a SASE, about 2 oz per pack.  They are teflon dots, .3" diameter .1" thick. Perfect for the job, I have a lot of them I scored at a surplus place, used a few for my skinning job, and am happy to send to other busnuts.  Just email me, my address is in my profile...

Last, get the stuff from Rich at international bus
rich@1800intlbus.com
800-468-5287

Don't let him forget a few little brushes for the primer and nozzles for the sika.  And you'll have to get a fancy high ratio caulk gun, the stuff is so thick that a regular gun will kill your hand and you won't get the job done anyway....

Cheers
The stuff is amazing
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:28:45 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: