Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 12:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the real truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about inverters...  (Read 9648 times)
circusboy90210
Chat Banned

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »

can we get a conclusive answer about use of inverters for power once and for all in one location. There seems to be lack of cohesiveness about this subject. Roll Eyes Tongue Cry Wink Cool
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

Get a generator, and thank me when you have no problems making money.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »

No!

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »

"You can't handle the truth!" - Jack Somebody  Grin

I just finished putting my Xantrex 4024 in - and I think it's sweet!  What do you want to know?

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »

How to run an ice cream truck using an inverter.....

sorry, you asked....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »

You say you want an "answer," but you did not ask any specific question(s).

The subject is really too large to cover in a couple of posts, but there is plenty in the archives.  There are also several good web sites on the topic, and even some books.  Lastly, the manufacturers all have pretty good, if biased, web sites.

There is no single "right" answer when it comes to inverters.  Lots depends on what you want to use it for, whether you need integral charging, what, if any, motor loads you will have, and whether you live mostly on- or off-grid.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »

can we get a conclusive answer about use of inverters for power once and for all in one location. There seems to be lack of cohesiveness about this subject. Roll Eyes Tongue Cry Wink Cool

You mean kinda like a 3-ring circus? I'll worry about that when I get my bus.

Right now, I have one of those power-robbing things in my car. It's a mini-450 Watt if you must know, and I wouldn't trust my laptop to it, even for recharging the battery. Did fine for my cell phone, but that was for an emergency.

What I do know is this: I need a pure sine inverter if I want to be absolutely safe with all of my products. Not every product needs pure sine, but why not stick to the standard? My dad was a well respected engineer for Westinghouse Electric (Before they got mismanaged by a group of MBA's-NOT engineers!), and that was his advice.

As far as all the other options and uses and how they work together in a bus are concerned, I'll check the archives. If I can't find it, then I'll ask someone like Sean.  Grin

I'm not sure how an ice cream truck is related to a bus or motor-home though...can somebody explain that to me?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:20:46 PM by PADoug » Logged

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

Sure, in fact, I'll give you four conclusive answers:

1) Topeka, Kansas

2) A silver umbrella rack

3) October 17th

4) Wooley Mammoth

I'm not sure what they are the conclusive answers to, but then I'm not sure what your question is either.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

The answer is 42.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »

I find that inverters are kinda like stereo speakers.  You can't ask someone what is best because everyone hears differently!
With inverters, lately I give the same advice as I do if asked what speaker is best:

If YOU love it, whatever it is, it's the best thing in the world for you, regardless what I or anyone else thinks!

Personally, I have two inverters on my bus but not how or why you'd think.  One is a dedicated 2KW pure sine chinese cheepo from ebay that I built into my 110v AC style summit refrigerator (and it gets turned on and off by the fridg's thermostat) so it's now a wonderful 12 volt DC fridge that only cost me a song, runs happily on three solar panels on the roof, and ended forever my hassles with ammonia based units-
And the other is a tiny 100W pure sine that I keep alive 24/7 for folks including me who need to plug little stuff into when we're on the road, like cellphone chargers etc. Oh, and my sweet little Dell computer that I use for GPS.

I would recommend from personal experience that pure sine units will give you fewer headaches in the long run... but whatever you think is best probably is!!!

Cheers

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »

Can Vanna buy this guy a Vowel? and the answer is? Hey Bob, It is 42. Go fig. M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:18 AM »

The answer is 42.

Yes but you're going to need a bigger computer to figure out the question. Say something as big as .... the earth.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »

I forgot what I was going to say, sorry.
Will

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »

A lack of cohesiveness?  

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: