Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 01:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the real truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about inverters...  (Read 9645 times)
cody

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »

CB, lets start out simple on this subject, you need to ask a specific question, general questions can't be given an accurate answer, you need to spell out how much wattage you will have and then possibly a formula on how to create that wattage and keep it going could be come up with. 
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

Yes but you're going to need a bigger computer to figure out the question. Say something as big as .... the earth.

Yep, and then you'll need some mice to run it.

I'm embarassed to say that (and this is entirely true) I once gave the answer '42' in an exam to the question "What was 'The Final Solution' "?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

Its amazing how many Douglas Adams readers there are here.  I wonder if there is a disproportional number of Douglas Adams fans among bus nuts or if there is a disproportional number of bus nuts among Douglas Adams readers.  Or maybe its just a sampling error to even out some infinite improbability somewhere else in the universe.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohesiveness Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dallas

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »

Jeremy,

For years and years I've only had two correct answers....
One is 42

and the other is, "There are no bones in Ice Cream."

I DO have an observation when asked why I don't drive faster....

"If you don't like this speed, you'll really hate the other one!"

Yes but you're going to need a bigger computer to figure out the question. Say something as big as .... the earth.

Yep, and then you'll need some mice to run it.

I'm embarassed to say that (and this is entirely true) I once gave the answer '42' in an exam to the question "What was 'The Final Solution' "?

Jeremy
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

Ok Bob and fellow Bus nuts, This is getting deep. I feel the question of life or why am I here coming on! M&C Shocked

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »

Its amazing how many Douglas Adams readers there are here.  I wonder if there is a disproportional number of Douglas Adams fans among bus nuts or if there is a disproportional number of bus nuts among Douglas Adams readers.  Or maybe its just a sampling error to even out some infinite improbability somewhere else in the universe.

I think the board appeals to the 'techie' faction of the bus nut community and this faction tends toward SF (just as most astronauts read SF) which gets you to the late Mr. Adams and well OT.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverter_faq.html#what_it_does

What does a power inverter do, and what can I use one for?

A power inverter changes DC power from a battery into conventional AC power that you can use to operate all kinds of devices ... electric lights, kitchen appliances, microwaves, power tools, TVs, radios, computers, to name just a few. You just connect the inverter to a battery, and plug your AC devices into the inverter ... and you've got portable power ... whenever and wherever you need it.

Inverter Used with Microwave

The inverter draws its power from a 12 Volt battery (preferably deep-cycle), or several batteries wired in parallel. The battery will need to be recharged as the power is drawn out of it by the inverter. The battery can be recharged by running the coach motor, or a diesel generator, solar panels, or wind. Or you can use a battery charger plugged into an AC outlet to recharge the battery.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:40:57 AM by van » Logged

poohbear

PoohBear

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »

While we were talking about inverters i have a freedom marine 25 that has a couple bad boards from moisture where can i get them repaired     thanks Richard
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »

What does a power inverter do, and what can I use one for?

A power inverter changes DC power from a battery into conventional AC power that you can use to operate all kinds of devices ... electric lights, kitchen appliances, microwaves, power tools, TVs, radios, computers, to name just a few. You just connect the inverter to a battery, and plug your AC devices into the inverter ... and you've got portable power ... whenever and wherever you need it.

Inverter Used with Microwave

The inverter draws its power from a 12 Volt battery (preferably deep-cycle), or several batteries wired in parallel. The battery will need to be recharged as the power is drawn out of it by the inverter. The battery can be recharged by running the coach motor, or a diesel generator, solar panels, or wind. Or you can use a battery charger plugged into an AC outlet to recharge the battery.

OOPS! sorry I meant to put it all in one location,my bad! Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:46:10 AM by van » Logged

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »

The real truth is there is no "one size fits all" answer.

So to find what you seek, you need to understand some things & then must answer some other questions (there is no free lunch).

The power one ends up using is often a compromise of what is available. Sometimes, there are other options that will work as well as or better than an inverter, so one must first understand the difference between when an inverter is required or merely desired.

One must be able to recognise the viable options available before one is capable of making an intelligent choice.

Before one can make an intelligent choice for an inverter, one NEEDS to really UNDERSTAND the power source supplying the inverter.

A good read:

http://www.phrannie.org/invert.html

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

I thought the answer had previously been disclaimed as offshore drilling. Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »

Hey NewbeeC9 is that really your picture? Or is it your daughter? Either way I want a date!!!!! Smiley
Oh. It's Christina.
Too bad she's too fancy for me....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:35:19 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

This might be the answer...

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Or at least a more precise question...

Cool  Grin
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

Jeremy, I think that is absolutely brilliant.  I hope the instructor saw the humor.    Okay, What CB completely failed to communicate was a question he has about using inverters to power the equipment in his Ice Cream truck. 

He asked this question in the chat room and was not satisfied with the answer.  So he is trying to ask it here to gather more opinions.    The considered opinion in the chat room was you can not take the cheapo inverters from J.C. Whitney and run the refrigerators/freezers/noisemakers etc.   At least not more than a few minutes. 

The inverter he purchased came with jumper cable connections and very light gauge wire.  We were worried about a fire as much as equipment failure.  As he alluded to in his post, Bus Warrior ( and several others ) suggested that he get a generator.  It was safer, easier and an quick  solution to his problem.   

However CB has talked to several drivers from other trucks who have stated that most of the trucks now use inverters instead of generators because of the noise.  So, if any of the real smart electrical guys want to guide CB thru the selection/installation  process of using inverters instead of a generator to power the equipment in his ice cream truck, make like a chicken on a june bug and jump on it.

I am sure CB would appreciate it.

Frank

Oh, and always remember to take your towel

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: