Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:31:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC5a radiator removal  (Read 2722 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »

As you may note from my other post, this was cooling system day.  I made a concerted effort to find why I am using coolant.  I tested/tightened every clamp I could find.  One may have been damp, but was not convincing.  Finally, I think I have located the bulk of the problem.  The left radiator has a leak!  I was looking at how to remove it and it seems it slides right out the back panel.  However, I did not locate any bolts holding it in place.  What have I missed?  Also, how heavy should I expect it to be?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
mcilee
1964 MCI Straight 5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »

Hi, The radiators come out very easy. Below the deck that they set on are two bolts. 5/8 wrench as I remember. Simply loosen off the hoses and remove any shrouds that may still be on the beast and the radiators will slide right out the doors. It probably wouldn't take more than an hour or two.

We bought this MCI 5 in 1994, have enjoyed over 100,000 miles in the last 15 years. Lookin' forward to many more miles and smiles with a great machine.
rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »

Hello Lin.  I just finished repairing a rad. leak on my 5a ,and asMcilee said it is not too hard to do. There is 2-  9/16  bolts in rubber mounts under the center of rad.,look on right side(easy to see)  you will need to lift the radiator up to clear the mounts. Try not to tear up the rubber seals if you have any left,mine did not and I had to make new ones. If you need new rubber ,let me know and Ill will get you the Ace Hardware # for the stuff I used. Glen
Airbag

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:20:01 AM »

It's nice to see some MC5 activity. I'm sure my rads will be coming out in the not too distant future. One of my projects on the list is to get the louvers working for the radiators. May I ask are yours operational? Mine will require removal for a complete overhaul including new nylon bushings and God knows if that wigetstat temp control still works. My louvers just remain open, here in AZ it's OK but a trip too the cold country might prove otherwise.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »

Airbag -
Do a search on the louvers before you put a bunch of effort into working on them.  MANY people just dump them off for recycling.  I'll not give an opinion, but let you read and develop your own. 

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Airbag

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »

Airbag -
Do a search on the louvers before you put a bunch of effort into working on them.  MANY people just dump them off for recycling.  I'll not give an opinion, but let you read and develop your own. 

Glenn

My search only came up with our recents posts.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »

I was also wondering about the louvers.  However, I was wondering whether to remove them as an obstruction or leave them there as a guide to air flow.

Airbag

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »

I was also wondering about the louvers.  However, I was wondering whether to remove them as an obstruction or leave them there as a guide to air flow.

Hello Lin
As an obstruction they have never been a factor for me. I can't imagine MCI putting such a huge amount of time research and money into something that was not needed. My thought on the subject is if I remove them then my bus is worth just that much less. FWIW
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »

Lin,
I had a major leak in my curb side radiator so its at the shop being rebuilt right now. It was leaking around the bottom tank where the tubes come in. And there was a leak at the top of the core as well. It takes about 15 minutes to get the radiator out as you have already read above. The shop I'm using charges $85.00/hr. They figure they'll have 10 - 15 hours into it. Mine doesn't have fins and keeping it up to temp is not much of a problem on the highway. Only time it runs cool is at idle/high idle.

Fred

Fred Thomson
Airbag

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »

Lin,
I had a major leak in my curb side radiator so its at the shop being rebuilt right now. It was leaking around the bottom tank where the tubes come in. And there was a leak at the top of the core as well. It takes about 15 minutes to get the radiator out as you have already read above. The shop I'm using charges $85.00/hr. They figure they'll have 10 - 15 hours into it. Mine doesn't have fins and keeping it up to temp is not much of a problem on the highway. Only time it runs cool is at idle/high idle.

Fred

I think cold weather warm ups is where they are needed / you know those bloody zero degree temps you get in the midwest.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »

Airbag -
I found 2 pages of posts under radiator shutters.  Should have thought of that first!  good luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »

Fred,

If repairing the radiator is in the range of $1000., how much was a recore?

Airbag

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »

Airbag -
I found 2 pages of posts under radiator shutters.  Should have thought of that first!  good luck!

Glenn

Just about everyone says make them work. So just as I thought they are needed. Thanks Glenn
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »

Actually, I have decided to go the other way.  I do not think I will ever need them, and with so many other things to do, I would never get around to allocating the time or money to fix them.  So, since I removed the left radiator, it seemed like the perfect time to remove the shutters.  I am far less concerned with keeping the engine warm than I am with keeping it cool in our desert.  This brings me to another question-- there is an opening of about 8"x4" to the engine compartment below with a scoop that points directly into the shutters.  As there any reason not to seal this off too?

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »

That is part of your air intake for your engine. I highly recommend that you leave it open.  However, this is a good opportunity to check it for debris.  I had a TON of debris in mine.  It had been parked without the grill over the radiator.  Good Luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: