Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 04:11:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I use to transport leaking batteries?  (Read 779 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »

I have a bunch of golf cart batteries that split over the winter due to my stupidity and a charger that quit.

Since they are leaking what kind of container can I put them in to transport them?  Will a Rubbermaid Roughneck container work or will the acid eat through the plastic?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »

Plastic containers are idea so long as the load doesn't split or crack them.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

We just bought some Plastic containers at Wally World for $8. each. that will work for that just fine. Lots of sizes to choose from. How long are you planning to keep them in this container? M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:23:53 AM »

I only need to keep the batteries in the container long enough to haul them to a disposal place.  I know certain types of plastic can't handle battery acid.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »

Belfert,
You might have gotten rid of the batteries by now, but in case you haven't yet, I'll offer a suggestion.  Get a box, or better yet, one of those big bags of baking soda.  Keeping soda handy is a good idea any time we have to handle the batteries, along with a gallon or so of water.  Also, wear clothes you can throw away, because regardless of how careful you are, somehow holes always seem to show up after the laundry is done.  Eye protection is a good idea.  I had a battery turn over in a boat and the acid soaked the indoor/outdoor carpet.  I neutralized it with soda along with plenty of water and wallah Smiley No damage!  That hydrochloric acid is nasty stuff!  I think I spelled it right.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: