Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:17:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus conversion  (Read 3222 times)
busdriver58

Eagles Fan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »

That's OK Julio wonder what most of would call a engine in Mexican.Have you had any luck with the import laws yet in Mexico      good luck

Not yet, I'm thinking about your comments in the Eagles board.

Chihuahua, MX
1969 Eagle 05 8V92/Auto &
1964 Eagle 01 8V71/Std
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »

Speaking of import laws, I just dis-assembled an Aerospacial Lamma helicopter for shipment to Argentina, it was going to the Argentine government but could not be transported whole or flown in,(against there import law) but we could ship "parts" so the whole helicopter went as "parts" in five boxes.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »

We have a 1965 MC-5 that started as a hound in Texas and got converted to its present state in 2004-06.
Fred

Fred Thomson
scottwms

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

We just got back from a 5 day Nor Cal to So Ca round trip in our 1952 PD4103.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »

Mine's a 72 MCI 7. I've sure learned a lot on this forum about busses and my goal is to eventually retire in this ole bus if we  (the bus and I  Cheesy) make it that long!!! But I have some 10 or 15 years to work on both ole girls, one named Kris and the other one is our bus!!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:30 AM »

Our Eagle is a 1968 Model 01, originally purchased by The Dixie Echoes singing gospel group out of Florida. We bought it in 2003, ripped out the old conversion and started to refurbish it, still working on it, ugh. It's powered by a DD 8V71 with a four speed crash box. We are full timing now and continuing to FINISH it! HA

~Paul~

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »

Busdriver, being that a "motor" is an electrical devise, which "motor" did you change??>>>Dan

Oh, I beg to differ.  Show me where a motor has to be electrical? My Webster's lists internal combustion engine as one of the definitions of motor.   Did General Motors Corporation start out building electrical motors?   Into what do you pour your motor oil?   There was a Department of Motor Vehicles long before hybrids.  The gentleman from Mexico was perfectly correct in his English usage, and need not feel he misspoke.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:04:42 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »

89 Eagle model 15,6v92ta mui motor,that's right ,motor,and tomorrow it might be an engine .Isn't the American language wonderful,where one word can mean what ever you want it to be ,nuff said.Oh by the way just brought our replacement  engine home from Kansas last night,our new general motors silverado performed admirably  with two DD's in tow.Have a great day Smiley

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:00:24 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:55 PM »

Looks like you were motoring right down the road.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »

You bet Len,we even passed 3 motor cycles on the way home,or was that engine cycles?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:46:38 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »

OH Geeze. Yea, as the son of an electrical "ENGINEER". Suffice to say this, despite "Websters" lack of forthought on the subject. Here goes, and let the flaming toward me begin:

First: An engine converts potential energy into kinetic energy. Remember simple High school physics. For those who are looking to nitpick with me: I will define potential energy in the form of solid, liquid or gaseous fuel that must chemically be altered to release energy.

Potential energy may be stored in the form of battery packs which utilize chemical change; capacitors which store electrical charge; tanks which store pressurized air. However, when it is released, it becomes kinetic energy.

A motor then, harnesses kinetic energy to perform work: IE move something, turn a wheel, push a lever, heat or cool something. An exhaust turbocharger is by definition, a motor. It utilizes flowing gases to spins a set of turbines to increase airflow into the "engine", where a chemical process takes place resulting in motion. Your wiper mechanism utilizes released air to change kinetic energy to work. Electricity, admittedly caused by a chemical reaction in a battery, is directed/admitted into a mechanism to perform work. Hence electric MOTOR.

What about "Steam engines" of the late 19th and early 20th Centuries? Why weren't they called steam "motors"? Well, our forfathers had the sense enough to look at the totality of the machine. They converted coal or wood (potential energy) into heat and steam(Kinetic energy), that in and of itself does not define anything, and when connected to a machine that changed kinetic energy to work, and packaged as one unit, effectively became an "Engine".

So yes, if you looked at your battery powered "Walkman" CD player (if people still use them) as a unit in it entirety; Chemical energy converted to electrical energy converted to spinning wheel(work), I suppose you could call it an engine, and I couldn't argue with you. although the specific part that converts the electricity into motion is in fact: A motor.

Having typed all that: I just spoke with my Dad. He said "Well, you wouldn't hear the term "electric engine" being used, but you will hear "gas motor". It's just the way people speak. Stick with convention. People know you are talking about the Prime mover."

Maybe we should "motor" back to topic? Enough flaming of the guy. If you insist on playing childish games; flame me instead. I've just given you more than enough "fuel" to play with.

And to think I just posted about how wonderful and helpful and well thought you guys were. Richard, I hope you are up there watching all this. By the way, I can't find the recent post of who has his Eagle. Anyone wanna chime in?

Bus (less)
Doug (las)

You bet Len,we even passed 3 motor cycles on the way home,or was that engine cycles?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:41:15 PM by PADoug » Logged

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

Then what's a "mill"?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print