Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 06:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JUST A NOTE TO LET US KNOW HOW LUCKY WE ARE.  (Read 1835 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »

Doing some maintenance on my gf's 2001 safari (gmc POS)  For starters just getting at the dizzy was a huge headache (inside the van have to remove under dash and wiring) and then when I went to change the s plug wires seems you have to pull the whees and go through the wheel wells and even then it's tight.  Top it all off I have a steering fluid leak and just to have a look takes 5 mins of housing removal (more if you don't know what you're doing).  And here is the clincher, when I went on line looking for all the info re the above, I had to look all over the place and there was no one decent source/forum for all of this and really why should there be from what I can tell the vehicle is a throw away, most of the central locking etc is intermitent.  Still it only has 160,000 kms while my '92 VW  Eurovan (most modern rig I have ever had) has 420,000 kms and all systems are still working.

So the real point of this is I very grateful and surprised that when it comes to fixing a 55 year old bus I have more info and support than fixing an of the shelf recent van. 

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

ZubZub...I feel your pain buddy.
One thing I do when I buy a new to me vehicle is to get the 'Chilton" manual from Advance Auto when they come out.  It helps me through a lot of what you just did...in other words it would have probably told you how to best get at that leak.
As for the bus...I have three manuals for it, one I bought, one a very nice friend in Ohio gave me when he hear we had the Scenicruiser and one...well...ask Kyle how I got it! Grin
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »

I'll check out the Chilton's, haven't used a Chilton's in years, on the european cars I mostly run, Haynes has always been the the better book and Chilton ran a distant 2nd.  FWIW I had to buy factory manuals for my eurovan as that was all that was available, $275 nasty price but worth it in the long run.

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:44:04 PM »

You know what zubzub, my last couple are Haynes!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »

I'll check out the Chilton's, haven't used a Chilton's in years, on the european cars I mostly run, Haynes has always been the the better book and Chilton ran a distant 2nd.  FWIW I had to buy factory manuals for my eurovan as that was all that was available, $275 nasty price but worth it in the long run.

I'm not sure, but I think Chilton and Haynes may be owned by the same company, or at least written by the same person. I bought both manuals for my 03 Explorer, and they were nearly identical. The text was the same. Even the photos were the same.  And neither were very good for the wiring schematics though there was enough info to get it wired for towing.

When I went to wire the 07 Explorer, I ordered a Haynes for the wiring schematic. It was absolutely useless. After I got it, I found out they had just extended to 03 manual to include everything between 03 and 07. Unfortunately, the wiring harnesses had changed, and more importantly the colors of the wires had changed. I could not find one wire based on the book's schematic. I had to trace them back from the tail lights, and then it was a guessing game. Took me about 12 hours to get the tail lights wired on that one.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »

I had the same issue with wiring on an old 95 explorer,  it was an eddie bauer and had a fancy(but stock) radio, so specifics was not covered and wiring was different.

I ended up paying $12 for Alldata and found it quite useful and accurate on those specifics down to a fuse that was not labeled for that service.

http://www.alldata.com/

I haven't renewed for the toad yet but seriously considering it.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »

I have alldata for everything.  Used to be better and that I have no explanation for as it is all digital stuff.

Haynes USED TO BE BETTER.  Maybe their old books still print out as the old version and not the chilton clone.  Chilton is and has been junk for a while now.

I went down to my Lex dealer and wined about not having tech data and the Service Manager took me back to their "library" and told me to help myself and use the desk out front by the parts counter...."call me if I can be of more assistance".  Unbelieveable!

A while later I had problems with my Ranger.  Went over to the dealer and asked if I could use the shop library and the SM said "WHAT?".  I answered " Hey, they extend that service over at the Lex dealer to me....why shouldn't you guys?"  He thought on that for a second and said "follow me, please".  Took me to the library and walked me thru how things were arranged and said "if you need any copies see the girl next to the parts counter".  More disbelief!  I was kidding him.  I still have Alldata cause mostly it gives me the answers I need, but when the going gets tough....you know.

John the happy camper

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »

Chilton and Haynes may be okay, but you are far better off getting the factory service manual.  There are many available on Ebay.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

I agree with Lin. Chilton and Haynes are only useful for minor stuff and sometimes will have a photo not found in the factory manual, but there is no substitute for factory manuals. I have them for every vehicle I own and don't see I could do without them.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:16:28 AM »

I've had the same experience with Honda dealers.  One laughed me out of the office, the other spent the best part of an hour showing me where to find the information I needed and making copies for me.  Guess who gets my business.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: