Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 04:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Tall is Your Bus?  (Read 4432 times)
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:15:09 PM »

I was looking up Bus Intel. on the web and came across a blog about a bus that was trapped with in a city due to Low Bridges. I thought to myself, "How tall is Mrs. Jones? (Our MCI) So at 1:45 am I'm out the door armed with a flashlight and a tape. After stumbling around in the dark I came up with 11'.3". Then thought "Air Bags". Got to start it up. Better wait till morning. So I don't know!?!
Do You Know How Tall Your Bus Is? Post your bus height along with the Make, model & Year. Don't forget the roof airs! Roll Eyes All the Best, M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »

Our 73 MC-8 has an 8" roof raise.  OEM height was 10'10' plus 8" roof raise makes it 11'6". Tallest non movable obstruction on roof (flexible antennas don't count) is the satellite antenna in travel position which adds an additional 8 1/2" for a total of 12' 2 1/2".  We figure a minimum clearance of at least 12'6".  We can gain about 3" by dumping the air in the air bags.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

Hello:
   About so tall does not cut it.. You had better know exactly how tall your bus is and observe the signage so that you can avoid knocking off whatever is on the roof... or the roof itself...
   My 72 7 is within a quarter inch of 12 feet even...
     And if I see a bridge and no signage that tells me how high the bridge is I get nervous and stop to check it out..

Now let me tell you a little story...
   I had a dream one night about the bus and a bridge and the very next day we missed our turn and continued on until in the distance I saw the bridge..   and nothing to tlll me how high it was..  An old RR bridge on route 40 east of Dunnellon FL.   SO as we approached the bridge I slowed way down and finally stopped a ways back.   I stopped traffic and we looked at the bridge until we finally saw some old faded paint that said 14 feet 2 inches.   Once that was established we could safely pass through which we did and turned around and made the proper turn to get to our destination.  Our future home was just up the road and now I know all the roads and can advise any bus people in the area
    Most places if the bridges are around 12 feet they usually mark the roads leading up to that area because disasters are not pleasant for anyone involved including the local townsfolk.
    CAse in point a well marked brige just off rte 81 north of Syracuse ny . The road was a connector to a northern suberb Liverpool and is very well travelled.   The bridge was 12 foot 2 inches and signs were on all roads including route 81 .
    Well at least once per year and usally twice a tractor trailer would try it and what a mess..   So pay attention to your surroundings.
    So FWIW you need to pay attention and know where you can go.
    THe new GPS gizmos have a trucker setting which will supposidly help you avoid  low bridges...   
   SO you have choices..
   REgards and happy bussin   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Blacksheep

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »

Our bus which is a 92 H3-40 has low profile coleman roof a/c's and at one time was the tallest item on the roof making the height when aired completely up a whopping 13'2" but have since installed a king dome satellite dome which also is the low profile but just a tad higher than the a/c's making the overall height when aired up a whopping 13'4".
I think Cliff with his GMC is even higher than that!

Ace
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

OEM - GMC and TMC RTS Transit buses  - 9'11'  + 10" Dometic low profile penguin 15,000 btu A/C units - Total 10' 9"

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »

77 Eagle 05 raised roof, top of ac units 12' 6"
 I'll follow Ace  Grin
Ed

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »

12' 9" to the top of the roof airs.  Torsion suspension so need for air when measuring.

I slowed to a crawl last fall when going under a bridge marked around 13' since it has grades on either side.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »

I will let you know when we get it on the road.
However with no air in the bags it is Exactly 10'-6".  How do I know this...the dropdeck I brought it home on was 3 feet.  When we put it on the trailer we measured it again, Exactly 13'-6"!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »

We have an MCI 8 with roof raise ( by PO so exact # unknown ) with two roof top airs and a KingDome satellite.

We are 12' 9" when aired up.

Going through Mobile Alabama on the way home from Jack's we set off the alarms approaching a 12' tunnel.  The red lights came on so I stopped and pretty soon the Alabama DOT showed up -- we unhooked and changed direction ( took the truck ( bus ) route ).  The MAN from the dot laughed and said people ignore the alarm ( laser beam ) all the time and hit the tunnel. He pointed to the top where you could see the marks from the impacts ( yes way more than one ). As noted previously the height marking was sort of obscure but the alarm was very helpful. Another disaster avoided.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »

Gee and I thought I was being overly attentive when I picked up my bus in St. Louis. I would not pull out until I personnally measured (12' 4") as I wanted to take no one's approximation.

I for a long time had a 3x5 card with checklist items on the dash, 12' 4'  was one of them.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »

My 4104 with roof air is 11' 3", but I consider it 11' 6" based on air bag inflation and other weight variables

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
jmblake
Jason & Martha Blake

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 06:48:44 PM »

Mine is a 81 MCI9 with a 8" roof raise and two 15,000 dometic airs and Iam 12'9" to the top of the airs. Jason

JimW7

1970 MC7

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 07:59:04 PM »

1970 MCI 7, 11'10" top of roof airs.

1970 MCI 7 serial # 8425
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »

Our bus which is a 92 H3-40 has low profile coleman roof a/c's and at one time was the tallest item on the roof making the height when aired completely up a whopping 13'2" but have since installed a king dome satellite dome which also is the low profile but just a tad higher than the a/c's making the overall height when aired up a whopping 13'4".
I think Cliff with his GMC is even higher than that!
Ace

Ace,

I thought I was close to that number too!  But I am just finishing up a new Bus Barn addition of 20X50 for the "Ole girl" and  I finally took an actual measurement with her aired up and all, before I poured my slab.  The bus is 12' 6" at max height on the top of the rear air and the bottom of the trusses are 13"0.

So I will be looking up at you for sure!  Grin

Oh yeah, 1975 GMC 4905, raised 10".

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »

Cliff, I know we talked about this before.
I think you said that you had the air conditioners where you could take them off pretty quick if you had to be towed on a Landoll.
What would your bus be with no air and the roof mounts off?
Thanks
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: