Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 05:10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleman Roof A.C. units leaking inside the bus????  (Read 3643 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:07:15 AM »

Hi folks, here I am with stupid questions again. We finally got some time this past weekend and we took our bus out for three days. (We haven't been out with it since Jacks rally in January.) We turned on the front A/C (Coleman Mach 15Kbtu) and very soon a lot of condensation water started leaking into the bus. I did not see any water run off on the outside like I usually do, So we shut off the front A/C and turned on the back on, only to have it do the very same thing. We needed A/C so we kept towels on the floor and survived but now I need to do something about it.

I first suspect that the drain holes are plugged up? Could that be a possibility? I guess I will have to get up ther and remove the shrouds and check out the passages, is there any good advice anyone wants to offer? Believe I could use all the guidance I can get. We ahve company coming the first of May and they actually requested to stay in the bus as a "away" room.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Siegel

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:37:47 AM »

Hi Dave,

Did you have any sort of exhaust fan on creating negitive pressure in your bus?

This would sometimes keep the condensation water from exiting to roof.

Other then that, could have dirt clogging up the pan.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »

mud daubers??

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »

I have thought of both those possibilities. Looks like I have to get up there and take the shroud off for a look see. Any tips before I get started and break something?

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »

A helper to hold the bottom of the ladder.

It is way easier to get up there than to get down again.

Try to keep your weight where there are lines of rivets, so as to not put dents in your roof panels.

Think about bare feet, versus your shoes, for better "feeling" of the roof surface at the curves.

Earlier in the day to keep the heat on the roof to a minimum.

You'll be taking the hose up with you to rinse whatever crap you find, best to give all the refrigeration coils a good rinse through, think about the wet surfaces you have to return on, ladder placement, etc.

Put a pan/towels etc under the units inside, you'll get some water through, no doubt.

Did I mention, DO NOT FALL OFF THE ROOF?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »

Dave,

Also beware of live bees.....  I can't tell you how many times I jumped off trailer/motorhome roofs only to be stung anyways...

As soon as you pull the cover, have bee spray ready for combat! Undecided

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »

From the other side......

I'm more of a shop vac, air nozzle kind of guy versus water from a hose. Not sure
 it isn't as messy but I don't like cleaning up goowey wet slimy mud. Just remember not
 to have the air pressure to high when blowing out the condenser Smiley

Of coarse you can use the vacuum to protect yourself from the bees

As alway pics would be helpful documentation Smiley

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

As alway pics would be helpful documentation Smiley
 Skip

Dave,

Make sure Jan is standing by with a camera at the ready.

We wouldn't want to miss anything interesting...... Grin  But be safe.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »

Thanks guys, I know I can be a kind of a putz every once in a while, but........

All of those tips sound very logical and I will exercise great caution, you can be assured of that. Since we have a lot of bees and mud daubbers down here that's what I will be looking for first. Since they [ the A/C's] worked well at Jack's Rally I really suspect that dirt of insects got in there.

Thanks again.

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »

Also be sure that the unit is bolted down tight enough so the gasket is sealing.  Also check to be sure the gasket hasn't failed from old age.  Any RV parts place should have new gaskets if need be.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »

Well, Sunday I climbed up on the roof of our bus and took the shrouds off from our Coleman Mach 15 A/C's to try a determine why we are getting water leaking inside the bus (seems like condensate run off). The shrouds came off easy, there were no traces of bees or mud daubbers any where. The run off chutes were clean as new with out a single obstruction. The large gasket that fits between the A/C and the bus body was soft and supple, with no signs of tearing. The A/C units were tight to the roof with no shake.

Any other ideas?Huh

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:54 PM »

Dave,
I've had the same problem with my Dometics. The drains are clear but condensate drips both in the living area and on the bed.  I think it's just condensation on the A/C unit itself and not coming from the evaporator.  Just too much humidity for it to handle.  Try making sure that all vents and other openings are tightly closed to keep the moisture level as low as possible.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Dave
  You mite want to try and wash off the evap coil. It sounds like your units are some what new but after a system has been run for a time(and allowed to pick up a little dust)and then shut off and let the coils dry off this could keep some of the condensate from dripping into the drain pan. I would suggest you mix up some dish machine soap and wash the coils,this will remove the  residue which should break the surface tension and allow the condensate to drain into the pan.
 Also don't use anything to poke around in the drain opening ,the drain tray may be made of Styrofoam which won't take much abuse .
            Dwayne
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 spicer

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:52:57 PM »

I'm no A/C expert, but it seems very strange that in three months both units would suddenly develop the same symptom leaking inside. (the mud daubers aren't that smart are they?) As mentioned earlier, are you sure you don't have something that is pulling a vacuume in the coach and causing the condensate to come in rather than run out? Do both units leak while parked as well as when under way? I've had lots of roof top units on lots of campers and the only thing I've ever seen drip inside is water droplets forming on the surface of the unit itself becuase of high humidity in the coach. FWIW
Fred

Fred Thomson
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »

About the excess humidity. Yes we live in southwest Florida and there is a lot of humidity here especially lately, but it has been hot before and I never seemed to experience this problem.

Now Dwayne suggested hosing off the evaporator coils, are the the front oils or the back coils? (See my stupidity is showing already.) I can see the coils in the back, and they can be hosed down. The coils in the front of the units are concealed in a box type affair with alum duct tape around the edges. (Factory installed.) I did not go into that compartment and that is the one I guess that looks into the coach. If I were to hose that down it looks like i'd get a lot of water in the bus.Huh

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: