Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 10:33:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Hesitation....  (Read 2805 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 04:46:08 AM »

Gus,
   Where is the other starter relay that you mentioned?
    Thanks, Iver
Should be in the rear electrical panel. Sorry, I can't be more specific, but I don't see you bus make or model listed.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »

You said "Now I have developed a slight hesitation in getting the starter to engage." so I assumed it was a new problem, sounded that way to me.

As Jack says, knowing what bus you have will help find the relay. If it isn't an older GMC I can't tell you but someone else can.

Make and model should be in every post. Someday maybe it will be automatically included in each post.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »

IMO don't bother looking for a panel relay.  Your first post said the starter engages and tries to turn the engine but it takes a couple of shots before it manages to spin it.  If the primary relay was the problem the starter wouldn't engage at all.  Go ahead and look for the relay just so you know where it is but don't bother trying any troubleshooting involving it because that isn't where the problem is.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »

Bob,

You're probably right but if the relay has burned secondary contacts the solenoid won't get enough power or if the relay primary connections are badly corroded the same thing will happen, the relay secondary contacts won't stay together.

I always like to follow these events having had my share of them with both relay connections and battery cable connection corrosion. Never have had a solenoid problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 11:49:32 PM »

Sorry,  the coach is a MCI-9.  I was having problems with the starting before the fuel fitting cracked.  I haven't had a chance to check all the cables and grounds and will post again when I see if that resolves the problem.
         Thanks, Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 04:13:44 AM »

We had a fuel pressure switch fail several years ago.  We had similar symptoms.  Apparently, the contacts in the pressure switch had become pitted and several attempts caused enough heat build-up in them to make them work.  This can be diagnosed by bypassing this switch with a 12 gauge jumper wire between the switch contacts. or switch contact & good ground (depending on whether your switch has 1 or 2 contacts). Jack

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »

Yes, fuel pressure switch in the starter circuit is a consumable.

Unless a busnut knows its age, buy a new one and screw it in.

Another obscure, yet crippling, preventive maintenance chore accomplished.

And another excuse to hoist a cold one.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 02:37:09 AM »

Jack,
My pressure switch has only one contact.  I assumed that when the pressure switch is working properly, and there is fuel pressure in the system, it prevents the starter from engaging.  So if the pressure switch is bad, it acts as though there is fuel pressure even when there isn't?  And prevents the starter from engaging?
Buswarrior,  Cheers..... I'll get a new switch just in case.....
               Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 05:17:56 AM »

Jack,
My pressure switch has only one contact.  I assumed that when the pressure switch is working properly, and there is fuel pressure in the system, it prevents the starter from engaging.  So if the pressure switch is bad, it acts as though there is fuel pressure even when there isn't?  And prevents the starter from engaging?
Buswarrior,  Cheers..... I'll get a new switch just in case.....
               Iver.

If the contacts inside the switch are pitted, the problem can be intermittant.  It is a electrical problem, not a mechanical (pressure) problem.  Put a jumper wire from the terminal to a good ground.  If the hesitation is no longer occuring, replace the switch.  If the hesitation is still occuring, the problem is something else.  Jack

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: