Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 11:12:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trans fluid level 730 Allison  (Read 1267 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2006, 05:51:19 PM »

Checked my ATF today, trans at operating temp. , engine idleing in neutral. stick shows over full,WAY OVER FULL!!! about 6 inches above the mark. If this were true I would be blowing ATF out the top transmission., I must be doing this wrong or I have the wrong dip stick. I know from experience that some automatic transmissions are checked with the trans in gear and some are to be checked with trans hot and engine shut off. Luke can't remember either what the 730 requires. any of you guys tell me what is right for this trans.

Thanks                    Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 06:48:27 PM »

According to my V730 Service manual, allow the engine to idle and shift to neutral to check.(as you already know, check with trans oil at operating temp 160 to 180 degrees)
 Da book sez to always check the oil at least twice-
it also gives a bold caution-"An unexplained increase in the amount of sump oil requires immediate attention.A failed rear main seal in the engine may be allowing engine oil to enter the transmission sump"
I can scan these few paged and email them to you if you'd like, just drop me a note.
BTW, I don't know squat about the V730, just happen to have a manual.

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »

Thanks Chuck,, I have a 730 and don't have a manual! would like to have those pages if it's not to much trouble.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »

It's not terribly hard to let out some of the overfill. There is a drain plug on the front of the trans oil pan.  If the oil is a nice pink or red, should be alright, as engine oil enfusion would turn the oil dark.  Good LUck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 01:15:19 PM »

TT, I sent the scanned pages to your business email. Hope this helps. Let me know if you dont get them when you check that email-Chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »

Chuck,  Just came and found your last post, went out this morning and dug through all my miles of docs. and receipts I got with the bus. Found a installation tech. data sheet for the v730 witch included the instructions for calibrating the dip stick. Ran through the steps and did the math and the scratch marks on the back of the stick are on the money. The factory marks are way off.Stick must have been from another application. thanks for the copies, I will put them in my Allison folder with all the docs. I carry on the bus.

Thanks for the help......................     Tucson

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: