Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 10:34:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: woodworking ideas and solutions  (Read 5584 times)
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »

For a sure fire way of cutting melamine and plywood with no chipout mimic how a saw with a scoring blade works.

Raise your blade just a hair above the table (1/32 in). Then run you panel over the blade BACKWARDS. Because the blade is exposed so little there is no danger that it will grab the panel. This will score the panel. Then raise the blade and run the panel the usual direction.

It takes a little longer but there is absolutely NO chipout.

On my saw I use one blade (Forrest) for everything including corsscutting, riping and melamine. Even with this blade I get NO chipout.

Fred Mc.   
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »

YES!  This is what I was trying to remember.  I knew there was a way I had read about it but......
Like Fred I do have a decent finishing blade that I do most of my cutting with ( except construction rough in stuff.

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »

cody, for those of us that mentally tool challenged, you could explain the difference between a saw, a chisel, and a hammer.  i recently enlarged a cabinet depth for a star choice satellite receiver with a hole saw.  about six holes across the back since the owner insisted even though i told him i had no sawzall or any saw, just hole saw.

real ugly, but it worked and he said no one would see it.  obviously, he had an s&s mh.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »

Wow, Tom, thats a tough one, I wasn't prepared for the degree of difficulty this is going to involve lol.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 04:26:42 AM »

The beauty of it is that most of the tools will be what almost all of us have already.

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone's comments except the irresponsible one above! Angry Angry

I spend the last 20+ years convincing Larry that project after project requires new and different tools, and here you go trying to undermine my argument and ruin a perfect system! Cry 

If you want to stay in my good graces, you'll feature at least one project that requires a 20" planer with a spiral cutter! Wink  Thanks, Christy Hicks  Grin

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Dallas

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 05:05:41 AM »

I would be nice if you would explain what that loud, high pitched, whining noise is when I use the table saw.

I mean, For years I've used the table saw, moving the wood back and forth a number of times and making pretty good cuts, even if it was really a lot slower than using my hand saw.
Then the other day, a little neighbor girl came by and picked up a cord and plugged it into the wall receptacle. The table saw started making such a racket and the blade started spinning really fast.
Boy, it scared me so bad I had to come back in and hide.
It seems to me that if the blade is gonna spin, couldn't that make a person more likely to be hurt? And what about the noise? How about what it might do to the wood?

Expiring minds want to know!

Dallas
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:34 AM »

Dallas,

now that's funny Smiley

What do you guys think of this router cnc
    http://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx

I can't really justify (afford) a real one Smiley I have 2 extra laptops I'll have to upgrade
     from windows 98 but for a cnc I might be tempted.

Let me know please Smiley

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
Dallas

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »

Skip, I got hooked as soon as I saw computer, bearings, router and tools all together in one project!

I'm just having a hard enough time building my own router-shaper table and having it make accurate cuts.
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »

Yep I'm hooked so I'll save up for one.

About the only thing I could see to add to the thing would be a vacum table.

I hear ya on the accurate.
When I built custom molding for the old house I bought a router table. Not real pleased
 with the fence set-up on it and then last year my old table saw wore out and I had to buy a new
 table saw and don't like the fence on it either.

I don't buy bargian basement stuff and I'm not going to buy the 220v stuff either. All I ask
 is the fence be true. (or at least stay true once I get it set-up)
  Though I have to be careful about that I once spent all day trueing up my 36" sqaure only
  to find out the borrowed expensive square I was going against wasn't true.

I guess I'm down to buying fence upgrades from places like Rockler Sad

Skip
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:24:32 AM by poppi » Logged

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: